Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, Macedonia as a country is called Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonai(FYRoM). May I ask why the hell have you people taken this name. I mena looking back at history Macedonai was a great country(Alexander the Great) and had it's own great people. BUT, over the centuries, especially through Turkish expansion (Kosove Field -1389) the people of Macedonia mixed together with the Serbs and Muslims and as a nation DISSAPEARED. What I mean by this is the people of Macedonai that currently live there have absolutely NO realtion to the ancient Macedonians. The only thing that is simular is the teritory you occupy, but IMO that isn't too much. So why do you guys call yoursleves Macedonians?

P.S. Hope I ahven't insulted anyone, but this is the information I behold.

D

·
0 Posts
up until 1945, what is know known as FYROM was called Southern Serbia (juzna Srbija). It was/is populated mostly by slavs of eastern Orthodox Christian faith, the language spoken is slavic Macedonian (very close to Serbian, essentially the same language with slight variances and dialects) the alphabet used is Ciryllic (same as in Serbia). It's name was changed when Tito became the communist dictator of Yugoslavia in 1945. It is at this point that these people find themselves with a political border and a Yugoslav republic called Makedonia. Over the past few centuries, mass conversions by the invading Turkish hoard brought islam not only to makedonia, but to other parts of the Balkans as well, namely Bosna-Hercegovina and Kosovo in south western Serbia. Today's FYROM has no links with Alexander the great, and this is why the country is called FYROM, the Greeks had a big big problem with the name simply being Macedonia. Over the years/decades/centuries as with other places in the Balkans, there has been a lot of cultural integration and various races inter-mixing, along with population movements and so on and so forth, this is how you get such a hybird population in FYROM, which is almost a mix of Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, and traditional South Serb, or Makedonci.
I hope that this answers your question.

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, this makes no sense. The name FYRoM is because it was once part of the Yugoslavian federation. And that is understandable, but why Macedonia? Why not South Serbia? or anything that mnakes sense. IMO the name Macedonia has no right of being?

D

·
0 Posts
I agree with you that it makes no sense. And like I said, it was the communist dictator of Yugoslavia in 1945 who gave them their identity essentially, and the name Macedonia. Why? Who knows, that man did many stupid things, created many nations that never existed before without looking ahead to possible consequences, his legacy caused the break-up of the former Yugo, and I for one beleive that it was his policies andd his 35 years of sh*t that caused the wars (of course with a few other factors).

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
There was never a nation called "Macedonians".The Great alexander as his father Fillipos II and his succesors (Perdikas,Ptolemeos,Selefkos etc etc) were Greeks.Thats what they were and they will always be.At that time,the name "greeks" wasnt used.Because they had a system which every city made an own country.But they were greeks and they spoke greek.Their names were greek and the main part of their country is at Greece.The FYROM territory was simply a territory Fillipos had conquer,then Alexander moved on to take practically everything.Macedonia is an area in Greece,in fact I live in it and I'm greek as was the ancient macedonians.Another proof that they were greeks was that the rest greeks didnt call them "barbarians" (well,only Dimosthenis called them barbarians because he hated Fillipos) and as we know the ancient greeks called every non-greek barbarian (Pas mi Ellin Barbaros).Bottom line,their target is a large area of Greece (Macedonia) and thats why they named their country Macedonia,with a view to exapand and take a part of Greece (thats what I believe anyway).

I really dont mind about the name,as long as they base it only on the fact that theirvgrounds were once territory of the (Greek) Macedonian Empire.

------------------
The sun will rise again...and it will be...GIALLOBLU!

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know Macedonians are Greek, but that's not my point. I mean the people that lived on thsoe terrains in the ancient times were called Macedonians (and they were Greek!, just like you had the Spartans and Athens', they were greek to, but had different names - just please don't tell me one was Dorith and the others... that's not my point AMO! :)), but the people that live in todays FYRoM, have nothing in common with those Macedonians! That's why I was aking! Now I know it was some idiot, who decided to give this name...

M

·
0 Posts
In a nutshel, the term Macedonia, macedonian etc.. is of Hellenic (Greek) origin.
The people who live in what today is known as FYORM (and when it was part of Yugoslavia from 1945 - 1992 used to be know as Socalist Republic of Macedonia) are Slavs and they have nothing to do with Alexander the Macedonian (or Alexander the Great).

As Delija explained nicely, communist dictator Tito basically recognized them as a distinct nation in 1945 (which they have never been before) and gave them a Macedonian name, at his own will. He did the same for muslims in Bosnia in 1974.

I think he did both of those things to weaken Serbia (which he saw as a threat to former Yugo federation, and also he was a Croat) because both of those groupations have historically been under Serb influence and have officialy declared themselves as Serbs, until Tito legally allowed them to call themselves Macedonians or in case of Bosnia - Muslims.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts