Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the game macedonia-r.ireland was planned to be fixed in favour of the irish. this is a shocking news and we'll see how the uefa will react and will they punish macedonians and especially irish. read more on the site: www.hrsport.hr

·
Registered
234 Posts
i read this a long time ago and think it is bull**** seeing it came from a Croatian website. Do not forget croats are still hurting for not qualifying and these things mke them feel better.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hahaha, Ustasa, Ustasa :)

I suppose they think the 2-2 match in Zagreb was fixed too...

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HAHAHAHAHAH ;) probably will ay?

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.crvenazvezda.is-here.net/

www.dejanstankovic.co.yu
" TARGET=_blank>http://www.crvenazvezda.is-here.net/

www.dejanstankovic.co.yu
</A>

·
International
8,545 Posts
Croatia had to win the final game to get in, and it didn't matter how the Ireland game turned out. the game didn't affect us directly, so if it was bought by the Irish, we couldn't benefit by them being punished. So I really don't think it's made up.

With us tying 2-2 in Zagreb, we were eliminated, and if Ireland had beat Macedonia, they'd have won the group, so it would affect you guys, not us. It would have been you guys who got ripped off, so I see no reason for the Croatian media to make this up.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmmm. You do raise a good point IVO. But I do beleive that every croat would have preferd Ireland rather the Yugoslavia to go through to EURO2000...

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I cant believe that this has happend i think all the Macedonian have played in the past 12 month have been fixed because the players in macedonian will do anything for money because the clubz that they play for in macedonian dont pay them so they take up the offers!

·
International
8,545 Posts
Well I think that most Croats would rather see Ireland go through than Yugoslavia, but not all. For me, all that matters is that we didn't qualify, it doesn't matter to me who did go through ahead of us. I try to keep political feelings out of football, because it distorts a person's view of the game.

But with regards to the match fixing, by breaking this story, it's the Irish who have most to lose, Yugo has nothing to lose.

We may not be the best of friends, but don't always assume the worst :)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok IVO, I guess I could live with that :)...

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
you guys probably also believe in Santa Claus. If the Macedonians took a bung then why did they score 3 minutes into injury time? If there was one match that was fixed it was the 4-2 game against Yugoslavia. Never have I seen such poor defending and goalkeeping in my life as the Macedonians.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is a dead issue, water under the bridge. And if it is true, I hope that Ireland get banned from international competition for the next ten years, but let them qualify with the best record for the next world cup, then kick them out just before the tournament starts and have the team that replaces them win it all....
hmmmmmm, why does that sound familiar?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Badge, the article implies that Irish tried to fix that game, it doesn't say that they suceeded.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
funny how it never really made news outside the balkans. you guys believe everything you read on the web then? especially croat sites?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First of all, Badge, I'm convinced that you haven't even read the article and don't know any of the details. You probably saw the term "Ireland" being mentioned in negative light, scanned through the posts, and got on the defensive. So I don't know why I'm even trying to have a serious discussion with you.

The reason number one why this thing will never make news outside Balkans (or Macedonia for that matter) is that FSM (Macedonian FA) doesn't have any clout whatsoever in UEFA.

Secondly, if FSM is to go public with this it would mean implicating one of their own officials, who allegedly was ready to take the bribe by setting up an account in Slovenia where the money was to be deposited by the Irish.
I doubt that FSM is ready to publicaly admit that one of their highest officials was ready to take a bribe, and that is why they will never launch an official complaint to UEFA, and the whole thing will be swept under the rug.

·
International
8,545 Posts
I think Badge has a legimiate beef. Personally, I've only seen it on hrsport. I haven't seen it anywhere else, not on other Croatian sites or anywhere.

Mladen does bring up good reasoning for the story not getting very far. It's true that the Macedonian football association doesn't have any clout, and there's no way they're going to incriminate themselves. Who would?

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
You can wait and see all you want. But nothing is going to come out of this incident, unless there is a miracleous evidence discovery. Put it to rest guys.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Look guys, Maybee Ireland did try to fix the game, but they obviously didnt, so lets just leave it at that...

As EclipsE said, we'll talk about this IF it is proven that the Irish did try to(or did) fix the game...

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just to say in reply to IVO's post that I read Serbian newspapers that carried this story ("Vesti" and "Glas Javnosti").

They quoted Ilija Atanasovski, the guy from Macedonian FA who started the whole thing by accusing Mihailo Panevski, Macedonian FA vice-president of making a deal with Bernard O'Brien of Irish FA to let Ireland win in Skopje in an effort to enable them to qualify directly for EURO 2000.

In the meantime, Atanasovski resigned from his position at FSM.

·
International
8,545 Posts
Really Mladen, I think that validates the story then. If more than one independant media source is publishing the story and Atanasovski resigned, I think there's gotta be some substance to it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts