Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Third Place Winner, April Photo Contest 2008
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SKOPJE, Macedonia -- Macedonian President Boris Trajkovski, a moderate credited for helping to unite his ethnically divided country, has been killed in a plane crash in southeastern Bosnia.

Bosnian police said they had found wreckage of the U.S.-made Beechcraft Super King Air 200 twin-engine turboprop in mountains near the village of Pitulja, about 85 kilometers (50 miles) south of Sarajevo.

There were no survivors among Trajkovski, six of his aides and the two pilots, officials reported Thursday.

Air traffic controllers lost contact with the aircraft in bad weather near the city of Stolac. It disappeared from radar about 8 a.m. (0700 GMT) Thursday, Andrej Lepavcov, the president's chief of staff, told CNN.

Trajkovski, 47, was flying to the Bosnian city of Mostar for an international investment conference. Bosnian President Dragan Covic later told delegates there that search teams had recovered four of the nine bodies, The Associated Press reported.

cnn.com

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
wow.....

:(

any macedonians here or croats or serbs that can tell us the projected impact of this?

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
Wow this comes straight out of the blue.

Macedonia leader 'dead in crash'

Mourners outside parliament in Macedonia's capital, Skopje
Macedonian President Boris Trajkovski is feared dead after a plane taking him to an international conference crashed in Bosnia-Hercegovina.
The plane, with eight others on board, came down in rain and fog in mountains near the town of Stolac.

As darkness fell, Nato peacekeepers suspended their air search overnight - but they continued a foot patrol for the wreckage and bodies.

Authorities said they still considered the light aircraft to be officially "missing".

"The area is mountainous and heavily mined with few roads and when you couple this with weather and the size of the search area it makes the operation incredibly challenging and difficult," said Nato spokesman Dave Sullivan.

Profile: Boris Trajkovski
Tributes to Trajkovski

Earlier, Bosnian officials said wreckage and bodies had been found, but the reports were later denied.

"The site of the crash has been located but there has been no confirmation about the fate of President Trajkovski and his delegation," an official from Mr Trajkovski's office said.

A spokesman for US peacekeepers in Bosnia said the plane, a twin-engined Beechcraft, lost contact with air-traffic controllers near the border between Bosnia and Montenegro.

Lighting candles

It was near Stolac, east of the Croatian port of Dubrovnik, when it vanished.

The plane was heading from the Macedonian capital, Skopje, for the town of Mostar, where Mr Trajkovski and a group of advisers were to attend an investment conference.

The nine feared dead included seven conference delegates and two pilots. The delegates were believed to include senior advisers to the president.

Parliament speaker Ljubco Jordanovski would serve as acting president, Macedonian officials said.

Shortly after the crash security was tightened along the country's borders and at key state and army institutions.

As news of the crash spread, mourners lit candles in front of Mr Trajkovski's office in Skopje.

EU ambitions

International tributes were paid to the moderate leader.

Javier Solana, the European Union's foreign and security affairs chief, called it "a very tragic day for Macedonia, for all the people of that country but also for many people in Europe".

"President Trajkovski was a great man, a man of passion, a man who moved his country forward, not only the reforms but also to get it as close as possible to Europe," Mr Solana said in a statement.

Irish Prime Minister Bertie Ahern, whose country holds the EU's rotating presidency, described Mr Trajkovski as having "contributed hugely to reconciliation in Macedonia" and as a strong supporter of Macedonia's ambition to become an EU member.

Only on Wednesday he signed Macedonia's formal application to join the EU, which was due to be submitted to the EU's Irish presidency in Dublin on Thursday.

That event has now been postponed.

·
Registered
36,109 Posts
hmmm...where in "bosnia"....??

idiot press !

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
SFOR to blame for crash?

Ero :rollani:

DNA tests identify dead leader
Macedonian President Boris Trajkovski
Trajkovski will lie in state in parliament
The remains of Macedonian President Boris Trajkovski have been formally identified by genetic tests, four days after his death in a plane crash.

The president and eight other people were killed on Friday when their plane went down into a hillside in southern Bosnia-Hercegovina.

A state funeral will be held in the Macedonian capital, Skopje, on Friday.

The Macedonian government has asked Nato to help investigate the cause of the crash.

Confirmation that the president's remains had been identified was given on Monday by deputy prime minister Jovan Manasievski.

The Republic of Macedonia is not ready to leave unexplained the circumstances in which its president tragically disappeared
Branko Crvenkovksi
Macedonian Prime Minister
Mr Trajkovski will lie in state in parliament on Thursday before Friday's funeral.

Dozens of top international officials and heads of state are expected to attend.

Most of the dead were badly burned in the crash, which happened in thick fog as the president flew to an investment conference in Mostar.

The request for Nato assistance came from Macedonian Prime Minister Branko Crvenkovksi.

French air controllers

He wrote to Nato Secretary General Jaap de Hoop Scheffer, pointing out that the airport control tower at Mostar was under the command of French peacekeepers.

"We ask Nato and you personally to ensure that all relevant data and information concerning the tragedy be made available to investigators," the letter said.

"The Republic of Macedonia is not ready to leave unexplained the circumstances in which its president tragically disappeared."

Nato has controlled airspace in Bosnia since the war ended in 1995.

A Nato spokesman in Macedonia, Craig Ratcliff, warned against "any premature conclusions or... looking for a scapegoat or someone to hang for the accident".

Media reports have suggested Nato errors in the search for the plane and the inquiry into what went wrong.

------

Well wouldn't it be just doozy if they found out that the NATO aircontrollers are to blame for an error that lead the plane into a mountain...

The aircraft was just 15 km from Mostar airport and was on a descent slope towards the runway. It very well could be that the aircontrollers were giving it erroneous information and guiding it too low too soon...time will tell.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Re: SFOR to blame for crash?

Andrija PFC said:
The Republic of Macedonia
At least when you write the official name you should get it right. It's Former Yugoslavian Republic of Macedonia. There is no Macedonia or "Republic of Macedonia".

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Re: Re: SFOR to blame for crash?

AMOROSO! said:
At least when you write the official name you should get it right. It's Former Yugoslavian Republic of Macedonia. There is no Macedonia or "Republic of Macedonia".
And why would that be amoroso :confused: ;)

·
Registered
43,395 Posts
:D :tongue:

The moment I saw Amo's name here I knew what was coming. A president of a country dies and he is still raging about some names and calling them disgraceful. Amo, I told you so many times - you cant fight future with the past. ;)

Too bad for Macedonia, thou. :depress: He was a leader of teh future united multi-ethnic, tollerant, and peacful Macedonia. So tragic is that young, modern figures are dying or being killed in the region lately.

I hope this wont bring chaos buck in the country. Its fragile, thou I believe they are on teh right track. Last time I was there I saw some really possitive signs.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
bono said:
The moment I saw Amo's name here I knew what was coming. A president of a country dies and he is still raging about some names and calling them disgraceful. Amo, I told you so many times - you cant fight future with the past. ;)
Nah, but I can point out what is right compared to what is wrong.

You know what, fvck off. I said nada when the name "Macedonia" was used in some kind of casual way, though that is still wrong and you know it. But Republic of Macedonia is just unacceptable for reasons that I don't need to explain to you, do I???

And hey, look at the little map. It says FYR of Macedonia. Wonder why?

·
Registered
43,395 Posts
Hey, Amo, calm down will you ... did I say sth personal at you???

I just pointed out that in a moment like this one, quite tragic for one country an dteh world in general, to politisize a thread of morning and rememberance is quite a streacth, to say the least.

·
Flop
5,498 Posts
But, bono, wasn't this thread meant for political debate in the first place? Freddie asked a very good question which could've been a good debate worth.

Amo, I don't know what's been debated in the past on this issue, that's why I asked.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
bono said:
Hey, Amo, calm down will you ... did I say sth personal at you???
You were ironic on a very sensitive topic. That's personal.

I just pointed out that in a moment like this one, quite tragic for one country an dteh world in general, to politisize a thread of morning and rememberance is quite a streacth, to say the least.
Just because it is a mourning and rememberance topic it does not mean people can write wrong stuff without someone pointing it out.

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
Amoroso, while I have every understanding for Greek concerns over the use of the name Macedonia, I think this is hardly the time or the place to lament on such issues. Secondly, the thing you quoted was a Macedonian government official, so obviously they don't refer to themselves as FYROM...unnecessary comment, really.

For those of you wondering what is going on, the UN admitted the R. of Macedonia (as it calls itself) under the temporary name Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (FYROM for short or BJRM in Macedonian & Serbian) because Greece objected to the use of the name "Macedonia" which a name of a region in Greece and also an ancient Greek state (you've all heard of Alexander, etc.) and felt that the use of this name was an affront to Greece's territorial integrity.

There are countries which have recognised the country according to what it calls itself in the constituion - the Republic of Macedonia - for example, Russia. Just to inform you Amo, I believe that recently Greece & FYROM came to an agreement to recognize FYROM under the name "Upper Macedonia". This name would be used in all official correspondance with Greece concerning the country, while everyone else would just call it "R. Macedonia".

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Andrija PFC said:
Amoroso, while I have every understanding for Greek concerns over the use of the name Macedonia, I think this is hardly the time or the place to lament on such issues. Secondly, the thing you quoted was a Macedonian government official, so obviously they don't refer to themselves as FYROM...unnecessary comment, really.

For those of you wondering what is going on, the UN admitted the R. of Macedonia (as it calls itself) under the temporary name Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (FYROM for short or BJRM in Macedonian & Serbian) because Greece objected to the use of the name "Macedonia" which a name of a region in Greece and also an ancient Greek state (you've all heard of Alexander, etc.) and felt that the use of this name was an affront to Greece's territorial integrity.

There are countries which have recognised the country according to what it calls itself in the constituion - the Republic of Macedonia - for example, Russia. Just to inform you Amo, I believe that recently Greece & FYROM came to an agreement to recognize FYROM under the name "Upper Macedonia". This name would be used in all official correspondance with Greece concerning the country, while everyone else would just call it "R. Macedonia".
So all this anal semantics is over Greeks reluctance to accept that a country share a name of a region in Greece? This is what Amo is all up & arms about?

Bwahahahahahaha:D

My apologies if I misunderstood.

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
Well apparently also FYR Macedonia claimed some part of Greek territory as theirs, but all such claims have been withdrawn now. Also, some Macedonians (not all) will claim that they are descendants of the ancient Macedonians (ie. that Alexander the Great was "theirs") which Greece vehemently opposes, for obvious reasons. There are Slavs who live in Greece who declare themselves ethnically to be Macedonians (previously many of them identified with the Bulgarians), to whom Greece has not exactly been kind over decades past. So, while Greece does note recognize the Macedonians as a nation (they call them either FYROMians or use the deregotory term "skopians" referring to the capital, Skoplje) nor Macedonia as a state, its other neighbour, Bulgaria, recognizes it as a state while maintaining that Macedonians are actually Bulgarians and not a separate nation. You will also find people in Serbia that will claim Macedonians to in fact be Serbs and their language a dialect of Serbian, although this is not official policy of the Serbian state. Then there are also the Albanians some of which would gladly annex half the country to Albania.

You see, it's just another typical Balkan conundrum. :stress:

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Holy shit - and here we are in Portugal where we can't seem to get rid of Portistas...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts