Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I understand Keegan justr admited the Italian and Spanish leagues are much better than the Premiership. But maybe I'm just getting carried away. All congrats to Macca, because the goal he scored was really a difficult one! :)

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
This story was from the Daily Star on Wednesday, May 24th, a day that will long live in the memory.

'Kevin Keegan yesterday surveyed the reborn Steve McManaman and crowned him the best player in Europe on current form.
The England boss has revealed he wished he had anothe 8 players plying their trade in Italy or Spain for the good of the national team.
Keegan has been thrilled to witness Macca turn on the magic at last for Real Madrid, with brilliant displays against Manchester United and Bayern Munich to help them reach the finals of the Champions League.
Tonight in Paris, Macca will be one of the first names on Vincente Del Bosque's teamsheet for the all-Spanish clash with Valencia..............
For Keegan, Madrid has been the making of Macca, not just as a player, but as a man.
"I can see a very mature Stev McManaman now," said Keegan calling the scouser by his full name as if to add emphasis on his importance. "He is on his own now and in some ways that helps you
"When you make a move like that you start form the absolute bottom......
"I don't think that there is a player in Europe playing any better than Steve at the moment. He is the form player.
"I've got to be careful what I say, but I think it would be better if we six or eight Steve McManamans playing in Italy or Spain."

Before someone comes in and says that this topic is pointless the reason I posred it is to show people what the English manager and press thin of Macca.

What do you guys think??

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I think Macca absolutely deserves all this.
Del Bosque saw what is the right game and role for him and now he's doing wonders!

YA SON 8... !QUE VENGAN MAS!

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
I think that it is more difficult to suceced if you go abroad, especially to a big club. For example imagine on your first day you are met by the players who include Hierro, Raul, Morientes, Redondo, Roberto Carlos and.....Campo. Pretty intimidating I think.
There is also a new language to learn, new fans to win over and a big reputation to live up to.

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Macca later admitted he felt a bit out of sorts when the team was celebrating in spanish in the locker room. poor guy, but I believe he'll somehow get over it... :)

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
The thing that annoys me with the English press is how fickle they are. I have always said that Macca should play for England in a free role as he does for Real M but this sentiment was never shared by the press who were doubting that he should get in the final 22. Now all of a sudden it is all about basing the England side around Macca. This is such a drastic turn around it is unbelievable. Yesterdays papers all unanimously hailed him king.

My view is that Macca is by far Englands most talented player. The fact he only has 28 caps (many as sub) is an absolute joke and I believe that if he plays in the Euro Champs then England will have a much better chanece of doing well than if they don't.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Macca was the man of the match by all accounts. It is just several other players were also outstanding that is why it was a difficult call. Macca did not recently play for England well for several reasons. First because Hoddle was a bad coach who never gave him a chance to play in creative position. Second Macca needs a passing game with other players who can play possession, like Real or Liverpool couple of years ago. Then he can do something unpredictable and creative. England plays a different game (which I hate) mostly pushing the ball forward and fighting for it or making crosses all the time. That's where all the chances are coming from. They don't have enough skillful players who can hold on to the ball (except Macca and Owen). With such tactics Macca feels out of place. He does not see the ball much, because it usually goes to someone like Beckham and a cross follows. I wish Macca luck, but I seriously doubt that Keagan has the players to bring out the best out of him.

Also I think that Englis media is exceptionally stupid. I live in USA and I don't know any other language, otherwise I would not read all that crap. I am not a big fan of English soccer (don't mean to offend anybody), but I was very impressed by Macca several years ago, when he played for Liverpool. He was absolutely brilliant, very consistent for several years and scored wonder goals. And all that hype that he is better than he was is crap. I am glad to see him playing great in very important games, but he is not at his best yet. I hope that he will get there soon, especially now when he plays in a greatest team that is capable of winning something (no offence Pool).

And come on Pool, Macca's goal against Valencia was very important and beautiful, but in the game against Celtic he dribbled though more than half of the field and several players before scoring. Very few players in the world were able to ever do something like that on such a level. I hope he will some day produce a goal like that for Real.

[This message has been edited by shubay (edited 28-05-2000).]

·
Registered
394 Posts
..its true..every1 i know says Macca should have been in the england...

he shouldn't have had to score in the final for Keegan to realise it.

However, i think that the English press , what a bit to far with the macca thing. He is good but so is the rest of the team.. and the rest of the team played just as good..

no way a 'man of the match', its just like, Chelsea winning the FA cup, guess who become 'Man of the Match' the ONLY english player in the winning side

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Macca was the official man of the match so there was no bias there.
I agree that the pepers have gone over the top but this is what they do. If he has one bad game for England they will go on about how he failed to reproduce the form for Real. It is so annoying and the fact remains that the team should have been nuilt around him years ago but I think that it is to late to start doing it now.

Also did anyone see the goal he scored against Celtic for Liverpool. In my view it is the best goal he has scored not just for its brilliance but it's importance. Saying that though I think that the one on Wednesday rivals it.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
I have a question for all you Englang nutters :) out there. Will he actually take the left flank or be in the centre with Scholes? Beckham is the right winger in England right?

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Don't get me wrong about the goal, the one versus Celtic is my favourate of all time and it was such superb skill the reason I mentioned the CL final goal was its importance pure and simple. It was a great goal but when it went in there was joy, relief, happiness etc.

About him playing for England I agree, the guy never has time to adapt but I think that KK will give him time.

The question of how the midfield of England will look, there are many possibilities as it could be:

Beckham Ince Scholes McManaman

or

Beckham Scholes Wise McManaman

or

----Beckham Scholes Wise

---------McManaman

or

---Beckham Scholes Ince

---------McManaman

shubay, I was not insulted but impressed and glad that even though you didn't like the PL :( you still saw the shining start that was Macca. :D

Also my view is that the last one should be used but I think that it is probably the first.

[This message has been edited by pool_till_I_die (edited 28-05-2000).]

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BTW pool! Why the hell is Ince in the squad? I mean the guy is no longer the INce and Wise has to be much better! Sure bets for me are Macca, Scholes and of course my SH|T bex ( i wouldn't play him, but does anyone have a choice? :(). The 4th would be IMO either Wise or Parlour, but never ince. The guy sux! What do you think?

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
IMO Ince should start as he has so much experience. He has had a good season with Boro and has appeared in a World Cup and Euro Championships already and performed very well in both. If you talked about the most talented at that position is Gerrad but he lacks experience big time.
I think that Ince is a big match player and think that he will do well in the Euro Championships.

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So you would rather see Ince than Wise? Although I hate Wise, I admit he's good at the moment and I'd go with him, but you're the Brit, not me :)

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
The thing is that Ince has played in some very big games and played well. I wouldn't mind if Wise started but IMO it should be Ince.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts