Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Too much talking for nothing

How to explain the Brazil team's poor recent showings?
Opinion by CASSIANO RICARDO GOBBET.

Brazil’s got the best players in the world, and this is not news. Some of the attackers on the Brazilian bench, like Élber, Amoroso and Jardel, would be first team players in any other team of the world. But this is not enough for Wanderley Luxemburgo to form a winning side.

Luxemburgo seems to be going down a one-way street. He’s cutting out of the National Squad all of the players who can gather more attention than himself. It already happened to AC Milan attacker Leonardo, Vasco striker Romário, and now the new Brazilian ‘baby-boom’ star Ronaldo Assis ('Ronaldinho'). The coach had an argument with the player one day before the game against Ecuador and didn’t call Assis to play against Peru. Worse: he called Edmundo, who’s not doing anything to justify his call-up.

Goalkeeper Dida, defenders Athirson and Antônio Carlos, midfielders Émerson, Rivaldo and Alex, and forwards França and Edmundo are close to a move from their current clubs. All of these coincidences are causing suspicion over Luxemburgo’s call-ups. There are rumours that the coach is under pressure to call some players and not others.

But until now, all of this is speculation. Until now there is no proof against Luxemburgo or the CBF, the Brazilian FA. What is real is that Brazil’s side is playing pitiful football. The defence is laughable, and players like Cafú and Roberto Carlos show mere shadows of what they can do for their clubs. Luxemburgo insists on keeping Rivaldo as a playmaker, even if the Barcelona player gave lots of signs that he is not the player to carry the weight of being responsible for the team’s creativity. And in the midfield, Emerson and César Sampaio are far from acceptable.

The conclusion is obvious: Luxemburgo states that he wants to show a more offensive style of football, but it doesn’t mean the truth. Very often Brazil plays with three defensive midfielders and an obscured Rivaldo. What seems to be the reality is that the Brazilian coach is more concerned on not losing his place in Brazil’s bench than providing spectacular football. And certainly, this is what all the world wants from the "Seleção".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Alexx,
this guy is just one of the many journalists who don't know nothing..and just spill out what an average revolted fan would say.
Dida is the best keeper in Brazil, and he is going to Milan..the club that "owns" his contract.
Athirson, is by far the second best left back of the country
Rivaldo is a brilliant player.
And Edmundo played 4 games for Vasco and he was good in 3 of them and EXCELLENT in one of them (the last one after he got called up, he scored 2 goals while his team was losing).
NOw I agreee with him in the 3 defensive midfielders issue...which was not the case yesterday as he played with Alex and Rivaldo in the creative role. So the journalist needs to get his facts straighten out.

Luxemburgo will get the right pattern, hje knows what he is doing. Beofe I was critising him for not calling the best players, but now he is giving a chance to those players that were left out. Only Marcelinho has not been called up, but that is ok. We need to pak before at the WC itself..and not in the start of the qualifiers...like Argentina did. Although Argentina played bad yesterday :)

------------------
GAVIOES DA FIEL
Pelo Corinthians, com muito amor ate o fim.
A Corrente Jamais Sera Quebrada!
THE WORLD IS OURS

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ever considered to work as a football journalist too ? Maybe you should turn your beloved hobby and knowledge into a career, Ze :) (actually I'm thinking of becoming a headhunter, first I put the job changed pressure on Aquila, now on you... :) )

Ze, what actually happened to the animal again. Why he had to go yesterday ?

CESF

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Well, i'd love to, but when i was considering the careers...Portuguese was never my strong subject (as its a tough language..and part o my education was in wales), so I would not manage.
But we could work on an online magazine......we got hte tools. Me as brazilian, czar on argentinian, you as middle europe, pool and natalya on English, Amoroso on global resources, falcao and Aquila on Italian. Kafka , Nasty & Glen on Scadinavian...and kat on Russian/estonian :)

Edmundo was sent off , cause he slid tackled a player at the half way line....it would have been normal if the tackle was in Brazil..but it was International level and the referees are a bit more strict :( NO porblem Luxemburgo has already said that the sending off will be totally disconsidered, and that Edmundo will not be called up to the Uruguay game, but the other games he might..as long as he plays what he his playing at Vasco (which is VERY GOOD)HIm and Romario...before Edmundo got injured were playing magical football :) Even though none of them look at each other!

------------------
GAVIOES DA FIEL
THE WORLD IS OURS

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
i agree with almost everything the journalist said. there is no reason that a team like brazil -- WITH THE BEST PLAYERS IN THE WORLD -- should tie colombia 0-0 and then struggle to beat ecuador and peru. that is ridiculous. it's a big joke!

look at the team: roberto carlos, best in the world at his position; cafu, best in the world at his position; aldair, experience in many, many world cup matches; rivaldo, best player in the world; alex, one of the best young players in the world; cesar sampaio, one of the leading scorers for brazil in world cup 98; edmundo, past scoring champion; franca, current scoring champion. so why do we struggle to beat peru?

i used to think luxemburgo was really, really great. when he took over, he had some impressive results, and he made it clear that he was the boss. he said he would not even take the job if the cbf kept trying to be his boss every minute! but now he is just making stupid, stupid decisions in selecting the players.

i don't care how good edmundo is, he does not deserve a million chances in the team. and if edmundo gets so many chances, why not ronaldinho gaucho? why not marcelinho? why do amoroso, elber and jardel get so many chances when they have not scored in so long? why are aldair and cesar sampaio back in the team?

what's next with luxemburgo? will he call back junior baiano to be defense next to aldair? and is taffarel going to be called to sit on the bench?

luxemburgo is making some really stupid choices with the selecao. i'm waiting for the day he takes out rivaldo and plays with all four defensive midfielders instead of just three.

this is not brazil.

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, that's like crossfire, the CNN television format with two guys representing different opinions and fight on a topic in an entertaining fashion... :)

Anyway, Ze, on the career matter, there is a solution to your worry. You just write in english. And to start out, I suggest you drop Emir from the Lazio forum a mail. We works as a journalist for Sportal, which is a sports portal in like six languages, so it's a serious business. Emir knows about your vast knowledge, so I'm sure he takes care if to get through when you apply.

Do it, as turning a beloved hobby into job is the best thing one can do. Ask me, cause I'm an expert on the opposite thing... :)

CESF
CESC

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Falcao,
good post...remmebr when I complained about Luxemburgo and you said he was all that. Now the roles have changed :)
I think now we are on the right track....he will not call Elber no more..I doubt.
Also, as I posted 1 week ago, I said taht he had 5 players for 2 spots in the attack...as he had already called up Elber and Amoroso. NOw Amoroso was not iven listed to sit on the bench agaisnt Peru. Also, Luxemburgo did not call Ronaldinho because he din't trust Ronaldinho is such a crucial game (i don't aswell, leave Ronaldinho for the olympics were the level will be lower, and the pressure asweel). Luxemburgo new he needed fighters, and Edmundo is a fighter, that's why he called him. The mistake was not calling Ronaldinho Gaucho, but to call Elber and Amoroso, who finally conviced Luxemburgo that he cannot trust them...cause they will not score the goals. And he had a deadline to meet by caling the players....it simple as that, as I had already explianed in a previous post!
NOw for caliling Junior Baiano I really hope your not serious about that...that guy is a joke.....and Odvan is putting Junior baiano on the bench in vasco. Also, Taffarel will not be caled up, cause he gave up on the national team......thank goodness :) We all apreciatte Taffarel's wise decision :)

Alexx, I don't even no Emir well.
drop me a mail explianing :)
I'm still unemplyed here in Miami...the spanish is playing a major factor :( I need to learn that language

------------------
GAVIOES DA FIEL
THE WORLD IS OURS

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
My opinion is that you are a little hard with Luxembrugo.I think that everyone in Brazil,from journalists to the last fan feel obligated to critisize him and his choices.Sure the results are not the best,but he builds a squad that is going to be ready at the bi tournaments.Not during qualifiers.What would be the use if he called Dodo or Mineiro or Fabio Luciano or whoever or any average brazilian just because he happened to have two good games in a row? the guys that play in Europe and get so much crap from you are players with vast experience against European and Argentinians players.Because at a WC or Copa America,your main oppoenent wont be Peru or El Salvador,but England,Italy,Spain and Argentina.All these teams have players that the brazilians abroad face and train every day with them.Sure Jardel may not be well adapt to the tackles of Peruvian defenders to his throat like Dodo would but he definitely knows better how to get a header from Tony Adams or Laurent Blanc.Amoroso may have problems facing Uruguayan and Paraguayan defenders but he knows how to play against Nesta or Cannavaro.Dont forget who are the guys that carry you out of any big tournament.How can you be so unfair with Amoroso,a player that was in my opinion Brazil's MVP in Copa America along with Ronaldo? the guy was injured half a year and is not on form and you guys are screaming to be replaced by Dodo or Luizao or any other semi-unknown to the international scene Brazilian.They dont play well at the qualifiers,but these are the guys you'll have to rely and they will make you champions at the next big event.Not Dodo or Luizao.Luxemburgo knows that and he insists calling them because he has to make a team.And you dont make a team by picking different players on the qualifiers and different players at the Big Event.Because the manager who would go to a World Cup with Marcelinho and Dodo and has the guts to leave players like Amoroso and Rivaldo out or experienced guys like Cesar Sambaio and Aldair can be sure he will fail.

------------------
Parma will fight back...FORZA PARMA!

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
What did you do educational wise in Cardiff Ze?

------------------
WESV

WESF

- Lealdade, Humildade e Procedimento

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Come oooooooon! :( This is a football topic...there is plenty of non-football for these questions Talya. :)

------------------

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Primary and HIgh school :)
went to Llanedeyn primary and Howardian High..which is closed nowadays :(

Amoroso, ask Jaap Stam and Silvestre about Edmundo and Romario...they will tell their nightmares :) :) :)

Please , we don't need Elber, Jardel nor Amoroso (unless he plays in midfield :))

------------------
GAVIOES DA FIEL
THE WORLD IS OURS

T

·
0 Posts
Ok...I praised Luxo too...I figured he will bring the defensive intensity that Brazil lacked and Brazil will be Brazil...But he needs to put good offensive players on the field...

Ze, You say that Ronaldo never played good for national team...Well, just the fact that he is on the field makes a difference...It changes the game...I dont care what anyone says about that...Hype or no Hype, Ronaldo on the field helps brazil or any team a lot...Second...Edmundo might be a good club player...thats it...That idiot has not proved to me that he has what it takes to be on the national team...Forget his inability to have good chemistry with others...He is just not that good in Brazil uniform...

And Ronaldinho has played well for brazil...he deserves a chance...And as for Rivaldo...I still believe him but he needs a rest...He is the player of the year but he is not proving it....I say, give a young team a chance...by the way when is romario coming back??

It will be a huge risk but here is what I would do..

Dida

Cafu-A.Carlos-??-R.Carlos

Emerson-Vampeta
Ricardinho-Alex/Ronaldinho G.

Franca-----Edilson/Ronaldinho G.

I know this is not going to happen...But, I think a few players need a break and some young guys need a chance...It just might be worth it..

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
tony,
ok about ronaldo..he makes a pyshocologival differnce.
BUt Edmundo has yes played well for brazil. Remember the Umbro cup? he was decisive to brazil to win the tournament...he also played well in copa america 95 and 97 :)
In the WC he was the only player that gave his heart in the final....unlike Ronaldo who din't have the guts to tell Zagallo and Nike that he was not fit to play :(!

------------------
GAVIOES DA FIEL
THE WORLD IS OURS

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
But Amoroso was exelent in Copa America as well (better than Edmundo) he was like second or first scorer of Brazil and you still give him crap Ze.You are SO ****ing biased towards some players.

Edmundo is one of the most talented players on earth but he does **** things all the time.He is a jerk and obviusly a psycho.And you can forgive him for all these crazy stuff he is been doing while other players are not forgiven for playing bad against Ecuador or Venezuela.

FAIR! :(

------------------

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
How long were you in Wales for then?

Amo...shut up! 'Low me the curiousity!!! :)

[This message has been edited by Natalya (edited 07-06-2000).]

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Amoroso,
he was good to you...I presonally felt the whole Copa America was a disgrace.....everyone was crap, excpet Emerson and rivaldo on the last gaem...apart from that I did not like no one. Were did you guys get that Ronaldo played well in Copa America. The fans (moslty Brazilians, as we played in the border)gave him crap in EVRY GAME...excpet the final. He din't play good at all.....nobody played well excpet Emerson!

Edmundo is a talent..as is Ronaldo, Rivaldo and Romario. He can afford to have more chances., and for what I read n the papers he was not all that bad. ANd if you guys saw Brazilian club football.....Edmundo has been the second best player, only Romario is better in the last couple of years

Natalya....that's it tell Amoroso to shut up :)
i spnet 4 years in Cardiff 86-90. Loved the place and the people...hated the weather :)

------------------
GAVIOES DA FIEL
THE WORLD IS OURS

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Little bit late, Natalya, and also you don't need me to defend you, but your caring about Ze was not only perfectly right but also a perfect example for that football PLUS personal stuff here, which makes this forum special. I can't believe this to be criticised. Word up to you !!

CESF
CESC

1 - 17 of 17 Posts