Wednesday, April 27, 2005
Kick-off 7pm

LEICESTER CITY2Chris O'Grady 37
Scot Gemmill 89

ARSENAL4Kerrea Gilbert 15
Nicklas Bendtner 73
Arturo Lupoli 80 (pen), 84 :star:

By Andy Verspeak

Mathieu Flamini returned to action after being sidelined for nearly two months as Arsenal scored three late goals to beat Leicester 4-2 on Hinckley United’s soggy pitch.

The Gunners were gifted a lead in the 15th minute when Conrad Logan mis-kicked and Kerrea Gilbert was on hand to finish. Leicester were level at the break but second-half strikes from Nicklas Bendtner and Arturo Lupoli made it safe for the Gunners before Scot Gemmill scored a consolation goal.

Flamini was back after a thigh injury and Stuart Taylor lined up against the side he had been on loan with earlier this season. There was no Sebastian Larsson or Quincy however, so Adam Birchall started on the right of midfield with Ryan Smith occupying the other flank and Bendtner partnered Lupoli up front.

There were some familiar faces amongst the Leicester line up including Scottish international Gemmill and ex-Blackburn winger Jason Wilcox.

The opening minutes were rather physical but neither side really threatened. Arsenal’s first opening came when top scorer Lupoli headed wide after a cross from Smith. But it wasn’t long before the Gunners took the lead as unlikely scorer Kerrea Gilbert capitalised on a mistake from Logan in the City goal.

He made a hash of a clearance and the ball rebounded back to the full back who finished neatly from a tight angle.

Lupoli should have made it two after 25 minutes. Justin Hoyte broke up the right wing and sent an inviting low cross into the area but the young Italian sent his shot sailing over the bar.

Leicester showed little signs of response until the closing stages of the half. Gilbert went from scorer to saviour, blocking a shot with a last-ditch tackle after Stephen Dawson had pulled the ball back for Chris O’Grady.

The Leicester midfielder didn’t have to wait long to make amends, equalising for the Foxes a few minutes later.

Arsenal failed to clear their lines and after a double save from Taylor and a block from Djourou the ball fell kindly for O’Grady to thump into the top corner.

The second half began very much like the first, devoid of any real incident until the final quarter of an hour. Bendtner restored Arsenal’s lead in the 73rd minute following a spell of pressure. Smith whipped in an in-swinging corner that Leicester failed to deal with and the big Dane was on hand to rifle the ball into the roof of the net from close range.

Lupoli made it safe with two goals in the final 10 minutes. Firstly he converted from the penalty spot after Djourou was tripped in the box, then coolly rounded the keeper to finish from a wide position and claim his second.

Gemmill grabbed a consolation goal for the Foxes with only a minute left to play, slotting past Taylor after finding his way into the box.

---------------------------------------------------------

Lupoli now has gone ahead in the scoring race for the Resrve League topscorer, he has 19 goals in 21 games, with only one match to go, he should finish ahead in his first season. :thumbsup:

though i don't think he gets a golden boot, probably just a pay rise and a pat on the back. :D

·
The Dude
4,448 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
Lupoli now has gone ahead in the scoring race for the Resrve League topscorer, he has 19 goals in 21 games, with only one match to go, he should finish ahead in his first season. :thumbsup:
Where can one find stats for the reserve leagues? Would be interesting to see which youngsters doing best. (I mean apart from the whole Arsenal youth set-up of course ;) :D )

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Wakky said:
Where can one find stats for the reserve leagues? Would be interesting to see which youngsters doing best. (I mean apart from the whole Arsenal youth set-up of course ;) :D )
They're on Arsenal.com, they have their own section and all that sort of fun, happy stuff :thumbsup:

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Twayka said:
well its good to see him score, because hes been benched lately.
yeah, but only because Ali was coming back to fitness and RvP was playing, next year the wolf will be the main man again.

Wakky, i don't think there is anywhere you find the whole Reserve stats, i just know that Lupoli was one behind a Spurs striker before he played the other night and Spurs didn't play so now he's infront. :thumbsup:

·
The Dude
4,448 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
Wakky, i don't think there is anywhere you find the whole Reserve stats, i just know that Lupoli was one behind a Spurs striker before he played the other night and Spurs didn't play so now he's infront. :thumbsup:
Okey, thanks anyway :)

Speaking of leagues apart from the "real" ones, what can you tell me about
Masters Football ?

Do you have to be a former EPL-player to get access?
Have you seen it(live perhaps)?
What players do we have in "our" team?
:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts