• Joao Moutinho (POR, Sporting)

Votes: 41 56.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which of these two midfield midget maestros would you take and why?

·
Legend
1,550 Posts
Joao is the better overall player since he's versatile. However, Modric is the better winger due to his pace. Moutinho is the better central mid due to his creativity and passing ability. Modric can't play any central mid position due to his lack of tackling and marking ability. Moutinho is average in those attributes. Moutinho is also two years younger and I believe he'll be moving soon . . .

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Moutinho, out of all the videos I have seen it seems that he only plays central mid. He has already proved that he can play in a big league, and Modric is yet to make an impact in England, mostly because it hasn't been long since he got traded. Internationally he seems like a great player, and there is no doubt in my mind that later on he will become the captain for Croatia, and also a star in whatever league he plays in.

·
Legend
1,550 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Moutinho he reminds me a bit of deco & rosicky he has alot of similarities.....great vision & feel for the game....not to keen on modric i watched him first time last night against Austria and to be honest didn't see much of that 16 mill value the Spurs signed.....ill have 2 see more of his Cro ass to juge him :D my choice Moutinho

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Top thread.

Well, i've seen loads of Modric and enough of Moutinho to make a fair assessment about him. If you where ever going to make a comparison of two players, it would be these two. Both are CM's, similar in size, deceptively stronger then they appear, there strengths are there ability to retain possession, passing very well (can give the final ball), very high work ethic, tricky movement, stamina, defensively solid and importantly very very mature for there age and top footballing brains.

It's too tough to choose one of them, i'm sure some people saw Modric for the first time yesterday, where he had his good moments and bad ones. While, Moutinho was very solid against the Turks. A note, Modric is also a year older, i'll choose Modric though, cause i'm baised :D Both are top quality young CM's.

·
Registered
12,134 Posts
I won't decide which one I'd choose, because I didn't see that much of Moutinho, but I think that most people don't know anything about Luka. He can play every position in the midfield, he can do everything he's asked, I don't see a more complete midfielder.

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
João, simply due to the fact that he's lovely to watch and never dissapoints, the heart of Sporting and basically shows his leadership skills already. Luka is an excellent young player but still needs to prove himself on the bigger scene even though he's showed in the past that he can stand out in European competitions.

I'm sure it'll be a lot easier for most of you who saw him for the first time yesterday to judge him better after his first season with Tottenham.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
There's a few differences.

Moutinho is Portugese, Modric is Croatian. Yes I know I'm bringing some unbelievable facts here, stay with me.
Moutinho is younger.
Moutinho will not move to a club like Tottenham (not offence Wally). His first move will be to a Madrid, Milan, or Barcelona. In fact, if Manchester United didn't have an abundance of quality central midfielders, he'd be a Manchester United player.

Still haven't really seen any of Modric other than yesterday and the game against England. So hopefully he won't disappoint.

·
Thought Criminal
14,005 Posts
There's a few differences.

Moutinho is Portugese, Modric is Croatian. Yes I know I'm bringing some unbelievable facts here, stay with me.
Moutinho is younger.
Moutinho will not move to a club like Tottenham (not offence Wally). His first move will be to a Madrid, Milan, or Barcelona. In fact, if Manchester United didn't have an abundance of quality central midfielders, he'd be a Manchester United player.

Still haven't really seen any of Modric other than yesterday and the game against England. So hopefully he won't disappoint.

PUN HAS SPOKEN

[tub]_jHWjz4k1Mc[/tub]

·
African WC haha
5,934 Posts
Funny you say Utd Pun, they signed Hargreaves and Anderson last season. With Scholes all but finished why would they not have bought him?

The difference in moves means nothing really, if Sporting were offered that kind of cash for Mo would they turn it down?
Surely not..

Players moving from E Europe are generally a little cheaper on the whole, not the case for Modric... maybe Spurs are abit crazy with the chequebook :D

Saying that, i cant choose between the 2...maybe the remainder of the tournament will help.

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Moutinho is younger.
:rolleyes:

Dude, it's 10 times easier going from a club like Sporting to the big boys, then from a team from the mighty Croatian league. Compare the Portuguese league, which is close to top 5 in the world, to one of the worst in Europe, It's much less riskier, as Moutinho does it week in week out against solid opposition.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
oh btw I wasn't saying just because Moutinho will move to a bigger club means he's better, no way.

I was just saying that he will move to one of those clubs.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Moutinho he reminds me a bit of deco & rosicky he has alot of similarities.....great vision & feel for the game....not to keen on modric i watched him first time last night against Austria and to be honest didn't see much of that 16 mill value the Spurs signed.....ill have 2 see more of his Cro ass to juge him :D my choice Moutinho
Actually, Modric was yesterday defenetly best croatian player on the field..

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
I would take Modric because I believe he is better :)

·
First Place winner, January 2009 Photo Contest
4,108 Posts
Modric is the most overrated player I have ever seen in my life. I've watched him several times and I honeslty don't see what all the hype is about.

I mean he's a good all-round central midfielder with strong work eithic and a nice touch and passing but nothing THAT special. Modric just reminds of a player who is decent / good at almost everything but excells at nothing.

Useful player to have in the squad but hardly a world beater.

Moutinho has the same attributes stated above plus a MUCH better shot (Modric kicks like a girl), more skill and creativity.

As someone said above, Moutinho will end up a massive club and be an important player while Modric at best will be big fish in a small pond type player with mid-table clubs.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Moutinho, out of all the videos I have seen it seems that he only plays central mid. He has already proved that he can play in a big league, and Modric is yet to make an impact in England, mostly because it hasn't been long since he got traded. Internationally he seems like a great player, and there is no doubt in my mind that later on he will become the captain for Croatia, and also a star in whatever league he plays in.
to be fair to modric, he isnt a spurs player until july. can he play a game for us before we judge his impact in england?

depends on the role, i think modric is far better suited to the premiership than moutinho, both good players though. but modric is a lot stronger, moutinho perhaps has a touch more class

·
Registered
786 Posts
Actually, Modric was yesterday defenetly best croatian player on the field..
yeah thats great but how did the CROS play really???:drunk: did they play up to their standards ??? no :thmbdown:!!!! they ****en played Austria the worst side in the competition !!! They will get crushed by the Germans if they repeat that preformance again thats for sure!!!!

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Havent seen enough of both players to judge but Moutinho is 22 but looks about 32. No need to thank me for my valuable contribution.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts