Xtratime Community banner
1181 - 1200 of 1209 Posts

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
I understand sentimentality, but the idea any one player is above the interests of the NT is bizarre to me. Isn't it "iznad svih Hrvatska?"
I genuinely believe that Modric embodies that sentiment. His entire international career has been about putting the NT first. It comes out in the way he plays, whether its Malta or Spain. Hence why I trust him to make the right call at the right time. I don't think he'll overstay his welcome. If he can't deliver to his usual high levels, he'll walk. He won't need to be shown the door.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
I find the Italians to be pragmatic as it relates to their older players. They had no issue with sending Pirlo to a major tournament in his mid-thirties. Or for that matter, Baresi, Maldini, Chiellini, Zoff, Baggio, Buffon, Cannavaro. Age isn't a barrier for what's best for the team in any given moment.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I genuinely believe that Modric embodies that sentiment. His entire international career has been about putting the NT first. It comes out in the way he plays, whether its Malta or Spain. Hence why I trust him to make the right call at the right time. I don't think he'll overstay his welcome. If he can't deliver to his usual high levels, he'll walk. He won't need to be shown the door.
He obviously scored a world class goal, but assessing his overall tourney as a whole I would say he was subpar. As was Brozovic. Kovacic showed he's ready to take the reins in the midfield, he's getting close to 30.

Modric will be 37 by the start of Qatar.

·
Registered
23,528 Posts

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
He obviously scored a world class goal, but assessing his overall tourney as a whole I would say he was subpar. As was Brozovic. Kovacic showed he's ready to take the reins in the midfield, he's getting close to 30.

By his standards, I agree that it wasn't the very best Luka Modric that we saw. Uncharacteristically he was caught in possession in a few instances which usually never happens and is often the first sign of slowing down. That could be because of either fatigue, or admittedly, age, I don't know. Had he not played such a solid season for RM I'd lean toward it being more age. But because his most recent season was so strong I can't help but think that there may be more fuel in the tank.

We'll see, but I don't think that right now is the time for a rash decision. He himself has left the door open to retire. He himself best knows just how much fuel is left.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I think 4 games in such a short space of time is too much for him. Didn't really notice it against England but he struggled to run out the rest of the games.

·
Registered
913 Posts

Luka is still our best player but yes his performances were subpar. I think physically he wore out after playing so many games this season. I hope he stays on for at least the World Cup assuming we qualify of course.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Would like him to stay on for WC but worry whether he will continue to play regularly at Real Madrid. Real can buy a top class midfielder anytime, whether it is to increase the first team competition or to deliberately phase him out. Adding to the difficulty is having to play on in the 2022/2023 season since WC only begins in Nov 2022.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,190 ·
Would like him to stay on for WC but worry whether he will continue to play regularly at Real Madrid. Real can buy a top class midfielder anytime, whether it is to increase the first team competition or to deliberately phase him out. Adding to the difficulty is having to play on in the 2022/2023 season since WC only begins in Nov 2022.
welcome to XtraTime!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I actually see an advantage. If it would be the usual calendar then Real Madrid probably will be fighting in semifinals of CL and Liga title crucial matches. With WC in november then Modric will be in half of La Liga (It will renew his contract with Real Madrid? :unsure:) and almost qualified for the next round of CL. I don't really know how the caldendars of different leagues will be adapted so we must see how things are going.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I don't see why he should stop. He is still among the best.
We just need someone to manage his time.
I don't see either why he couldn't become a supersub for us at least.

My main concern is that i feel that as long as Modric stays i don't see Vida and Lovren stop.
And now we need Modric without them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
welcome to XtraTime!
Thanks brate:)

I actually see an advantage. If it would be the usual calendar then Real Madrid probably will be fighting in semifinals of CL and Liga title crucial matches. With WC in november then Modric will be in half of La Liga (It will renew his contract with Real Madrid? :unsure:) and almost qualified for the next round of CL.
Good point. And just imagine, if Luka still plays for RM at 37 years old, he would be emulating the club legends of a bygone era (di Stefano, Puskas)...

·
Registered
HNK Rijeka, Croatian National Team
6,939 Posts
1181 - 1200 of 1209 Posts