Xtratime Community banner
1161 - 1180 of 1209 Posts

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Per his comments yesterday, seems like he's thinking about it.... Big decision for him and the NT as a whole.
I think it’s time .
if so, he will always be remembered as the greatest Croatian footballer of all time.
At least in my eyes .
Luka left his heart and soul onto the pitch when he put on that sacred jersey .
He gave 150 percent for the NT. No one can deny that.
Just look at the mans eyes when we lost the World Cup final . My heart just broke for him.
Luka , you will always be our KRALJ.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I hope he goes. He can't play a full tournament anymore but no coach is ever going to take him off after 60-70 minutes.

He'd be great to have in the quals and if he could settle for a diminished role I'd love to see him stay on for the WC.

Him going would also help with the transition inside the dressingroom. Not suggesting he's a bad influence or anything like that, just that we need the next crop to start developing their own thing.

Modrić and a couple of others are "bigger" than any coach, arguably bigger now in a sense than the NT itself. I can't think of any Croatian coach who could become a true authority in the current dressingroom, but that's what we need.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I hope he goes. He can't play a full tournament anymore but no coach is ever going to take him off after 60-70 minutes.

He'd be great to have in the quals and if he could settle for a diminished role I'd love to see him stay on for the WC.

Him going would also help with the transition inside the dressingroom. Not suggesting he's a bad influence or anything like that, just that we need the next crop to start developing their own thing.

Modrić and a couple of others are "bigger" than any coach, arguably bigger now in a sense than the NT itself. I can't think of any Croatian coach who could become a true authority in the current dressingroom, but that's what we need.
Agreed. Modric is arguably the greatest Balkan player of all time but it's time to move on. He has nothing left to prove.

I can see a similar thing playing out in wc22 if he stays. Long season at Madrid playing 3 competitions and then totally gassed by the time tournament comes around. He would be great to have in the squad for the qualifiers especially with the upcoming 3 match bananza but I just can't see him playing at another tournament effectively

·
Registered
1,641 Posts

I would just add that this is also for clarity reasons. Because at times through this tournament Modric and Kovacic were trying to claim the same area of turf on that football field. And Modric needed to be taken off at times because he simply was not that great, the Czech game comes to mind. i am ready for a transition . For all the good Modric has done he needs to realize a new crop of players is here and it is there turn to take the lead on and off that field.

·
dinamo67
10,398 Posts
Either way I'll be happy. He can always stay for one more tourney. On the other hand leaving allows our midfield and team to transition into a post Modric world before the WC. If he does decide to hang it up then I'd prefer it to be before the next set of qualifiers.

·
Registered
HNK Rijeka, Croatian National Team
6,939 Posts
I hope he will stay to get to 150+ caps and 20+ goals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Would be nice for him personally, but the team as a whole, I think we need to start figuring out what life after Modrić looks like... so much of who we are and what we do as a team stems from him and his abilities.

·
Registered
23,528 Posts
Damn you guys, every time I log on, anytime I see activity now on this thread am fearing the worst and that he called it quits. :cautious:

He is still on top form...hope he keeps going. Is irreplacable. And if guys like Ronaldo and Ramos who are older can keep going for their NTs at a high level, no reason why Luka can't either. He takes great care of himself.

·
No pain - No gain.
4,594 Posts
Damn you guys, every time I log on, anytime I see activity now on this thread am fearing the worst and that he called it quits. :cautious:

He is still on top form...hope he keeps going. Is irreplacable. And if guys like Ronaldo and Ramos who are older can keep going for their NTs at a high level, no reason why Luka can't either. He takes great care of himself.
We can also take example on players like Pepe, Fonte, Berg, Zlatan (even if he was injured for this Euro), Chiellini, Buffon, Vermalean etc...

Reactions: pivorakija and Ante

·
Registered
23,528 Posts
We can also take example on players like Pepe, Fonte, Berg, Zlatan (even if he was injured for this Euro), Chiellini, Buffon, Vermalean etc...
Exactly.

Rakitic should have stayed on too...he's still performing at a high level at Sevilla...but no doubt his wife preferred and pressured him to stop playing for us....and so he did.

·
No pain - No gain.
4,594 Posts
Exactly.

Rakitic should have stayed on too...he's still performing at a high level at Sevilla...but no doubt his wife preferred and pressured him to stop playing for us....and so he did.
I totally agree with you Ante! I wouldn't be surprised to see his sons playing for Spain over Croatia...

But as I said, the WC final against France devastated the most part of our team, and our tournament here with Spain loss, Dalic choices with Rebic, referee decisions again against us, could tempt some others players to stop their NT career.

Imagine the Perisic feeling when he was out of the team only because he had covid... He could aslo making the choice to stop his NT career even if we are only one year and half before the WC in Qatar.

Reactions: pivorakija and Ante

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
He could aslo making the choice to stop his NT career even if we are only one year and half before the WC in Qatar.
I bet his decision hinges on what Luka does. If Luka (and potentially Loven/Vida) retires from international duty, the armband would be his, no question.

I think of all the players to potentially leave the NT, he seems the least likely. And from the fan POV, he plays a position of need/not great depth for us. We have more central midfielders than we know what to do with. We don't have a ton of wingers to plug into our squad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I hope Luka stays, his performance level is still at world class level. He's coming off being player of the year with Real Madrid and a new contract that takes him to the end of 2022. Perfect timing for him to lead us to through qualifying for another tournament and for him to take his final bow on the World Cup 2022 stage.

He does nothing but add to the team on and off the field and more any of the mladi vatreni get to be around a true pro like him, the better. If keeping Modric on for another 18 months means keeping Dalic, I say do it.

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
I understand sentimentality, but the idea any one player is above the interests of the NT is bizarre to me. Isn't it "iznad svih Hrvatska?"
I go back and forth on this exact point. He's the greatest player we ever produced, hands down. He does derserve some special treatment - but to what degree? And I absolutely get that no one wants to tell him 'hey, we're moving on without you' - but as I have said before, we need to start figuring out life after Luka, for the sake of our NT.

Reactions: Dalmatino

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,180 ·
No, he immediately retired after the WC in 2018.
He played more than 5 matches post World Cup 2018 if I recall correctly. He missed several others as well in the same time, but he definitely didn't retire right after the World Cup

1161 - 1180 of 1209 Posts