Xtratime Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't like to celebrate anyone's misfortune but this next article should help Jugo's chances at Euro. Enrique is a world class player and will be sorely missed by Spain.

BARCELONA, March 7 (Reuters) - Barcelona's Luis Enrique is likely to be out for the rest of the season and could miss the Euro 2000 finals, the club's doctor said on Tuesday. The 29-year-old midfielder was originally expected to be missing for only three weeks, after injuring his left knee in
last Wednesday's Champions League clash with Porto, but arthoscopic surgery on Tuesday revealed far worse ligament damage than expected. "I think he will be unable to play for three months. He might as well say goodbye to the season and I think he is also
as good as out of the European Championship," Barcelona doctor Josep Borrell told Spanish reporters. "However as long as he is careful with his recovery, there is no reason why he should not be fully fit for the start of next season," Borrell added. Luis Enrique will be in plaster for the next month. The injury to Luis Enrique will be a bitter blow to both his club and country. Barcelona are challenging for their third consecutive
Spanish league title. They are third in the 20-team Spanish frist division, five points behind league leaders Deportivo Coruna. The Catalan soccer giant are also in the Champions League second round group phase and the Spanish Cup semifinals. Luis Enrique has been regular feature of Spanish sides since he made his international debut as a 20-year-old in 1991, and has 48 caps to his name. Even if he defys the odds and is fit in time for the Euro 2000 finals, he will certainly miss Spain's friendly International against Italy on March 29 and that alone could mitigate against his selection. Spanish national coach Jose Antonio Camacho has said that the squad he picks for the Italy game will essentially be the one that travels to Belgium and the Netherlands this summer.

I hate to say it so early but I'm liking our chances even more now. Let's just hope and pray we don't get any injuries like this.

------------------
Later

1 - 3 of 3 Posts