Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
International
9,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought we should make a special thread for that.

onefootball.com reported that Lucescu will resign after this weekend's game. Terim will be replacing him.

I hope that he will replace, Terim will take over the team and will do nothing. And then GS will regret Lucescu.

Rumors say he'll return to Italy or take over Besiktas. What do you think? I hope for Besiktas.

The guy won the title and was this close of getting past the second group phase and yet he is not appreciated. What a shame!

·
Registered
25,644 Posts
True, it is very possible that Terim will replace Lucescu. But, it's not that he is not respected or that they do not recognize what he's done at Gala. In fact, the media, the fans and even the board members respect Lucescu very much (half of the board members were and still are strongly against Lucescu's departure) . It's just that Terim is Turkish and that Galatasaray fans see him like a god. It's unjust for Lucescu, but this is the way it is.

I see it as a very positive thing because changing air would do very good to Lucescu.

Besiktas? I don't think so. He is faithful to Galatasaray, he won't go coach a rival. Plus, I don't think he will want to coach in Turkey. A return to Italy? It could be very probable because Italians clubs change their coaches very often. Lucescu could coach Lazio, Milan, Parma, Brescia but what I would really like would be to see him in Spain.

What about Lucescu coaching Barcelona?! :happy:
It would be fabulous! Barcelona needs a good coach, a coach with vision, a good psychologist, a coach that can rebuild a very competitive and strong team and Lucescu is the man for this job! He has built teams from nothing from the beginning. Corvinul Hunedoara, Pisa, Brescia, Reggiana, Rapid, Galatasaray and the Romanian NT are all very good examples.
This way, we'll also see some Romanians in Barcelona (perhaps Chivu and Mutu?)

·
Registered
25,644 Posts
www.onefootball.com

EXCLUSIVE Lucescu vows to leave GS

Friday 3rd May 2002

Mircea Lucescu has confirmed he will stand down as Galatasaray coach after the weekend game against Yozgatspor, onefootball.com can reveal.

The Romanian told an Italian TV station of his intention in an interview to be aired on Sunday.

The admission emerges at the end of a week when former Galatasaray coach Fatih Terim revealed he was weighing up an offer from the club to become technical director.

Lucescu responded by insisting he would remain in charge next term, but has now told Italian station RAI 1: "I won the title with Galatasaray and I am very proud of this. But I can say that I will definitely resign after the Yozgatspor game."

Terim is therefore poised to return to the Istanbul club, though it is unknown in what capacity. Terim said earlier this week: "I will give the final decision about my future in the next few days. I will reveal what I will do very soon."

The newly-crowned Turkish champions had turned to politician and lifelong fan Mehmet Agar for help in their bid to lure Terim back to the club.

That is known to have stunned Lucescu, who was already preparing next season's assault on the the last eight of the Champions' League.

"We should not be wanting just to get a few points, we should be reaching the quarter-finals, maybe more," he said recently.

Lucescu's future looked in doubt as far back as December, though, when GS vice-president Fatih Altayli insisted the club would do everything possible to get Terim back. "Lucescu is a very professional coach, but Terim is a Galatasaray man," he said.

"He loves Galatasaray and has worked hard for the club in the past. He made miracles happen at this club. If Terim said yes to our conditions for next season, why would there not be a meeting? Everything is possible."

Terim led Galatasaray to four successive championships between 1997 and 2000. He also guided the club to their first major European trophy when GS beat Arsenal in a penalty shoot-out in the 2000 Uefa Cup final.

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Lucescu to Barca??? That's brilliant. I can so see it happening, imagine Hagi as an assistant :D Now we're cooking. That will lead to a lot of respect for us Romanians.

Come on Gala HIRE TERIM!

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Lucescu to Barca would be really cool, and if he was able to achieve great results with unknown players for Galatasaray, I would surmise that he'd work wonders for Barca considering all those great players at Barca. Galatasaray would truly demonstrate that they are an ungreatful and petty club if they let Lucescu go after what he's achieved for the club. If he stays in Turkey I want him to go to Besiktas and win the championship with them, it would only be poetic justice. However, him going to coach a team in a stronger championship would be the best scenario.

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Imagine Terim gets to Galatasaray and they actually win the Campions League with a team that Lucescu has build and put so much effort into…

·
Registered
25,644 Posts
www.onefootball.com

Galatasaray battle to keep Lucescu

Friday 3rd May 2002

Galatasaray chairman Ozhan Canaydin has vowed to hold on to coach Mircea Lucescu who has threatened to stand down at the end of the season amid reports that former boss Fatih Terim is poised to return to the club.

Terim was sacked by AC Milan five months ago and has been linked with a return to the Turkish giants ever since.

Despite leading the Istanbul club to the title on Sunday, Lucescu has insisted he will step down after Sunday's season finale against Yozgatspor as rumours of Terim's return intensified this week.

Canaydin responded with fury on Friday when asked whether he felt it reflected well on the club's image to change coaches at the end of such a successful season.

"I didn't hear that question," he fumed. "I have said earlier that we want to continue with Lucescu. We have not talked to Fatih Terim at all.

"We are not talking to anybody until May 6," he told Hurriyet. "We will talk to Lucescu after that."

Terim, meanwhile, dampened speculation that he is set to rejoin Galatasaray by hinting that a return to coaching in Italy is imminent.

"I miss Italian football a lot, but I'm sure that I'll be back very soon," he said.

Terim has been collecting £79,682 a month from Milan since being replaced by Carlo Ancelotti, but was in the city this week to finally end his contract, suggesting he has found a side for next season.

Napoli, if promoted from Serie B, are reported to be interested and Terim has also been linked with Barcelona where Carles Rexach is expected to be sacked at the end of a disappointing season.

Terim, meanwhile, revealed to La Repubblica that he was stunned by how he was treated while at the San Siro.

"I had never previously left a team as early as I was forced to leave Milan," he said. "There was a communication problem.

"Someone was biased against me. For example, after the opening match which we drew at Brescia, a newspaper ferociously attacked me because I chose Antonio Chamot as a central defender. After I left Milan, Chamot became a regular.

"During my first press conference a journalist asked me if I was worried about Carlo Ancelotti. I had only been in Milan for five days and I had just signed a two year contract. That's crazy, and I told them it was ridiculous question."

Terim's time at Fiorentina, who he joined after leading Galatasaray to victory in the 2000 Uefa Cup final, had been equally bitter due to his frequent clashes with club chairman Vitorio Cecchi Gori.

"I knew one year before that the Viola were on a downward spiral," he said. "I have not spoken to Cecchi Gori for a year and I don't believe I ever will again."

·
Registered
25,644 Posts
www.onefootball.com

GS star Arif backs return of 'emperor' Terim

Sunday 5th May 2002

Galatasaray top scorer Arif Erdem has called for coach Mircea Lucescu to step aside so Fatih Terim can return to the club.

"Terim is always the emperor in our hearts," he declared. "Everybody saw what we did in Turkey and Europe with him."

Lucescu has taken the club to the latter stages of the Champions' League in consecutive seasons and Saturday's 5-0 win over Yozgatspor put the icing on the cake of a comprehensive domestic triumph.

The Romanian, however, is expected to make way as Terim looks to resurrect his career after the disappointment of being sacked by AC Milan. "Our hearts are with him," said Arif.

Even as captain Bulent Korkmaz received the championship trophy from Turkish football federation president Haluk Ulusoy, Lucescu would have been aware that a website poll in the run-up to the Yozgat game showed a majority of fans in favour of Terim.

Inside the Ali Sami Yen stadium, supporters greeted Lucescu's arrival on the touchline with chants of 'We love you, Luce' and he was chaired by his players on a lap of honour at the end.

In his speech at the presentation ceremony, he gave no hint about the future. "I thank former chairmen Faruk Suren and Mehmet Cansun, present chairman Ozhan Canaydin, the board, the players and the fans," he said.

Lucescu and Canaydin were seen drinking a toast together at the supporters club headquarters in Levent and the two were expected to meet again on Sunday for discussions on Lucescu's contract, which expires at the end of May.

Arif scored twice during the match, leaving him tied on 21 goals at the top of the Super League table with Ilhan Mansiz of Besiktas. "It would have been an extra pleasure to become goal king outright but the important thing was the championship," said the striker

Sebastien Perez also scored two, while the other goal came from Radu Niculescu.

·
International
9,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1001% Lucescu will quit tonight!

There was a phone interview on Pro TV a couple of minutes ago and Lucescu said it himself that he'll quit tonight. He said that he's had enough bullsh!t. I don't blame him.

They also said that Besiktas is the closest to signing him. if he goes, then things will be hot in Turkey next season.

Regards,
David

·
Registered
25,644 Posts
Lucescu has quit already

www.calciomercato.com

Galatasaray: Lucescu lascia, domani potrebbe arrivare il si' di Terim

Ormai sembra imminente il ritorno di Fatih Terim sulla panchina del Galatasaray, dopo le dimissioni odierne del rumeno Mircea Lucescu. Ali Durust, vice presidente del club turco, ha dichiarato: "Il signor Lucescu ha detto di aver assolto la missione che si era prefisso e percio' che sia giunto il momento di andarsene". Gia' domani Terim, ex tecnico di Fiorentina e Milan, potrebbe assumere il nuovo incarico nel Galatasaray.

www.dailysoccer.com

Terim in line for Galatasaray job after Lucescu quits
ISTANBUL, May 6 (AFP)
Turkish champions Galatasaray are poised to re-hire former coach Fatih Terim following the resignation of present boss Mircea Lucescu, club officials said Monday.
"Mr Lucescu has told us that he feels he has accomplished his mission with Galatasaray and he wants to leave," Galatasaray vice-president Ali Durust said. "We thank him for his precious contribution."
Terim - sacked by Italian giants AC Milan earlier this season - is due to hold a press conference with Galatasaray president Ozhan Canaydin here Tuesday.

·
Registered
25,644 Posts
www.onefootball.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Terim back in charge at Galatasaray

Monday 6th May 2002

Galatasaray announced on Monday that Fatih Terim has replaced Mircea Lucescu as coach, just one week after the Romanian had led the club to the Super League title.

"Fatih Terim is our new coach," vice-president Ali Durust confirmed. "All further details will be revealed at a press conference on Tuesday.

"We are very proud of what Lucescu achieved as coach of Galatasaray because he is a real gentleman and we thank him for everything he has done at the club."

The announcement was made following a five-hour meeting with chairman Ozhan Canaydin, other members of the board and Lucescu whose contract at the club had expired.

"Mircea Lucescu told us that he had accomplished his mission and he has left his job at Galatasaray," Durust added. "He earned the gratitude of us all for his self-sacrificing work and we thank him."

Lucescu is now being linked with the vacant Besiktas job following Christoph Daum's decision to quit the club on Sunday.

·
Registered
25,644 Posts
www.onelinesport.ro

Terim i-a fost preferat lui Lucescu la Galata

Luni searã, Mircea Lucescu a pãrãsit conducerea tehnicã a campioanei Turciei, Galatasaray Istanbul. Românul a fost înlocuit cu Fatih Terim, dar oficial s-a declarat Lucescu a plecat de bunã-voie. Îndepãrtarea sa a fost influenþatã ºi de decizia jucãtorilor, îndemnaþi de la spate de un politician, Mehmet Agar, adânc înfipt în viaþa clubului. Lucescu a fost la curent ºi a preferat sã plece fãrã scandal, decât sã se lupte cu morile de vânt.

Anunþul a fost fãcut dupã cinci ore de discuþii între preºedintele clubului, Ozhan Canaydin, alþi membri cu funcþii de conducere ºi Lucescu, aflat pe masã cu un contract expirat pe care nu s-a mai pus semnãtura. Turcii au preferat sã îi redeschidã uºa lui Fatih Terim, care a fost concediat de la conducerea tehnicã a lui AC Milan la sfârºitul anului trecut. De atunci s-a zvonit continuu cã se va întoarce la Galata ºi iatã cã pânã la urmã a fãcut-o.

Lucescu pãrãseºte Galata la o sãptãmânã dupã era ridicat pe braþe de fanii ºi oficialii Galatei, pentru titlul de campioanã obþinut de echipã. Cu toate acestea, în aceste momente suporterii turci sunt fericiþi de revenirea lui Terim. Acesta a reuºit sã obþinã consecutiv pentru Galatasaray patru titluri de campioanã, între anii 1997 ºi 2000. Tot el a adus în vitrina clubului Cupa UEFA, acum doi ani, dupã victoria la penaltiuri în faþa lui Arsenal.
"Terim este împãratul inimilor noastre", a afirmat golgeterul Galatei, Arif Erdem.

Nici Lucescu nu stã rãu la capitolul realizãri. Sub aripa sa, Galata ºi-a revenit din punct de vedere financiar ºi a câºtigat în doi ani titlul de campioanã ºi Supercupa în Turcia. Echipa a fost un pas de calificare în sferturile de finalã ale Ligii Campionilor, când Barcelona i-a suflat locul dupã o luptã de la egal la egal în care s-ar fi putut întâmpla orice.

Vãdit dezamãgit de decizia conducãtorilor clublui, care i-au întoars spatele în timp ce el pregãtea ediþia de anul viitor a Ligii Campionilor, Lucescu a avut înþelepciunea ºi conºtiinþa valorii sã plece ca un domn, cu fruntea sus. Cu siguranþã, oferte va avea din toate colþurile Europei, putând sã þineascã spre ceva mai mult decât Turcia, dacã va dori.

Din declaraþiile vice-preºedintelui Galatei, Ali Durust, transpirã aprecierea ºi respectul pe care Lucescu le-a impus în Turcia: "Suntem mândri de realizãrile pe care Lucescu le-a obþinut la Galatasaray. Este un domn ºi îi mulþumim pentru tot ceea ce a fãcut la club. Lucescu a afirmat cã ºi-a atins obiectivul ºi a fost alegerea lui sã plece de la conducerea echipei. Meritã mulþumirile noastre pentru munca sa ºi nu ne rãmâne decât sã îi mulþumim."

Este foarte probabil ca Lucescu sã devinã antrenorul lui Besiktas, dupã ce antrenorul acestei echipe, Christoph Daum, a demisionat în urma unor scandaluri cu droguri în care a fost implicat direct ca ºi consumator de diverse "prafuri" (nu numai în timpul liber, ci ºi la antranamente). Ar fi interesant ºi motivant pentru Lucescu sã rãmânã în Turcia ºi sã le fure inima fanilor "împãratului inimilor", câºtigând la anul titlul cu Besiktas.

·
Registered
135 Posts
What a shame. Soccer is a big business, but I say those guys are a bunch of ungrateful bastards. Good luck to Lucescu. He will do well, regardless

·
Registered
25,644 Posts
www.onefootball.com

Lucescu ready for Besiktas challenge

Friday 10th May 2002

Mircea Lucescu has confirmed he is set to take over as Besiktas coach, just days after being forced out by Istanbul rivals Galatasaray.

"I am confident in my ability to win Besiktas the championship, just as I did with Galatasaray," said the Romanian, who is expected to sign a two-year deal worth up to £1.8 million.

"If I join Besiktas, I will go with one clear aim: to win the title and take the club as far into European competition as possible," he said. "I have no doubt about our chances of becoming champions next season."

Lucescu has urged to Galatasaray to treat his departure with good grace after Fatih Terim's return effectively left him jobless. "It's better for the image of the club this way. How can you sack a manager who brought you the title?" he said.

Lucescu has nonetheless lined up a furious battle for honours with Terim, who claimed this week that he would improve on his predecessor's considerable achievements.

Besiktas have also scuppered Rapid Bucharest's hopes of installing Lucescu as their coach for next season. "It is not the right time to return to Romania," explained Lucescu. "There is no point going back until it is a clean and fair competition."

Marseille, Lyon and Panathinaikos were also in the hunt for Lucescu's services and he confirmed: "I had offers from France, Greece and Romania, but I'm very happy to continue working in Turkey. I know the championship well, so it is great to stay here."

Lucescu now hopes to poach some of the Galatasaray players who helped secure the 2001-02 title.

Terim has already announced his intention to bring in his own men and, as many of the GS squad were loan-signings, Lucescu has a chance to steal the best for Besiktas.

Sergen Yalcin, Colombia goalkeeper Farid Mondragon, French defender Sebastien Perez, Colombian left-back Gustavo Victoria, Uruguayan midfielder Andres Fleurquin and Romanian striker Radu Niculescu are all on his shopping-list.

Besiktas have been without a coach since Christoph Daum quit last week to fight cocaine charges in his native Germany.

·
Registered
25,644 Posts
Marius said:
If Lucescu goes to Besiktas, I will support them all the way!!!:fero:

I would have prefered to see Lucescu in Lyon. There he would have had more chances to succeed, he would have had also more money to bring in new guys (possibly from Romania)

·
Registered
25,644 Posts
According to unoffical sources, Lucescu has accepted Besiktas' offer. What do you think?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts