Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heard alot about this youngster from Parma, now i wanna hear what all u blokes think ? there is alot of intrest comming from Villarreal, Atletico & Udinese for his services.....

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Hes a good player, but I dont think he will anywhere near the quality of Pirlo.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
He is young and lets not forget that Pirlo was a playmaker behind the strikers before joining Milan. It was Lotti who found this new role for him where he has been brilliant.

Cigarini has very good passing skills and i think he could become like Pirlo in the near future. He just needs to find a team that will give him a chance. He was heavily rumoured to juve in recent months. Who knows where he'll end up.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
he was actually a strkier with inter at the start a hole player !!! in the olimpics in 2000 !!!

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Pirlo did used to be a number 10, but you could see the quality he had from a very young age that he would be a star player. However Cigarini has shown that he is a competent player, but not much more... he will probably be a very good player in one of the 5-8 teams of Serie A/La Liga, but I dont think he has the quality to be the 'next Pirlo'. I am hoping Italy gets someone with more quality in the future in any case, but still, I repeat, he is a good player.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Cigarini is exactly like Pirlo... just without the shot, dribbling, close control... and the genius. That special thing that makes a player... well... special.

Decent talent though who, if he develops well, could become a kind of Xabi Alonso - you know... very, very solid passing in midfield, a bit of grit, but not much in the way of end product in the last third. That would be great for a great number of teams though.

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
You obviously didn't watch Parma when we had Di carlo. From sept to about january he shone unlike many others. And you're completely wrong about everything. He is nothing like xabi, he is alot more elegant on the ball. And if we compare to Pirlo, I remember pirlos first year in Milan, he was also abit of a liability since he was so easy to take the ball from. I remember alot of scenarios where the opponents would steal the ball from Pirlo and punish Milan. Pirlo became better and more safe with time and with the help of Gattuso. Unlike Pirlo, Ciga don't have that at Parma and already at this age he can still be cool. I'm not saying he is going to be like pirlo or better but for some things he is already better. I'm yet to see Ciga lose a ball and parma getting punished by it.

And he doesn't have an end product in the last third? What a total crap, when we played attacking football he orchestered everything. Specifically, watch Inter-parma. He owned the midfield, he was the only genius in the midfield in that game.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
I was comparing him to a player he can be compared to. Pirlo held the record for goals in the U21 until Gilardino broke it. Pirlo was an absolutely genius forward who has been re-schooled to be a regista.

Cigarini is a player who has done very little at any level whatsoever and is constantly outshined by his peers in the Azzurrini. Where Pirlo was the obvious focal point, Cigarini takes a back seat in performances and importance to Nocerino, Marchisio and Dessena.

Comparing him with Xabi should be an honour. Take of the Parma glasses.

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
What Parma glasses? Ciga is lost as far as him being a parmaplayer. But this is about talent. And I really don't care about NT-football since it's rarely something to measure a players calibre and I think you know that too. Just the fact that Dessena shines more than him for the U21 says alot about how weird it can be. Dessena, who've been completely PISS for parma this year.

Having said that, I understand about Pirlo being a forward and it maybe gives him an edge on certain areas (does it really? What about Zambrotta who was Wingforward and transformed to leftback) but just cause he was a great striker doesn't mean that he is automatically more of a genius.

For the record, I don't believe he will be like Pirlo, Ciga will have his own qualities that people will appriciate. But to say stuff like he has no end product in the final third, and that he doesnt have the ballcontrol etc etc is simply pu: MADNESS!

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
But to say stuff like he has no end product in the final third, and that he doesnt have the ballcontrol etc etc is simply pu: MADNESS!
I didn't say that, you... you... flippin retard, you ;).

I said he didn't have it COMPARED to Pirlo, meaning that Pirlo is, was and has been at an entirely different level in those regards.

Cigarini can, as I said from the beginning, become a succesfull player in his own right, but playing half a season of decent football for a Parma that went down and not impressing at the youth level... I think you gotta keep that champagne on ice.

And what part of the Alonso comparison is it that makes you a rabid hamster, anyway? You seriously think that is shortchanging him :D?

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
Cigarini is exactly like Pirlo... just without the shot, dribbling, close control... and the genius. That special thing that makes a player... well... special.
How should I know that you were comparing him, this might aswell mean that in general ciga doesn't have none of that (since his role demands that he is good at these things) ;) :ass:

I didnt say that this season justifies the hype either. Although, teams like villareal are still interested in him and Ghirardi is looking to milk as much money as possible. He wants 15m€ while villareal have offered 12m€. Obviously it could all be rumours but one doesn't take much to spot a talent like Ciga. You could see that he was playing for a team way below his quality.

Xabi is nothing special in passing, controlling the game etc. He is good passer but nothing like say Cesc, Pirlo, Xavi,Iniesta etc. ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
5 years on and I vote that Cigarini should be handed the mantle as regista and succeed Pirlo.

It's Cigarini's time to shine now.

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
Its a shame how he couldnt make more from his talent. I truly believe that he had it more than alot of top midfielders today. When I see shit players like montolivo, aquilani having a better career I wonder why that is. He made the wrong choice going to Napoli, absolutely horrible and disgusting team.

·
Registered
24,065 Posts
Cristante will be the one. That is if he ever gets to play. We need a few key injuries for that to happen. :)

·
Registered
17,597 Posts
When the top managers in the world do not show interest in you, it's usually a bad sign if you want to be considered a world-class player or one worthy of a winning Italian national team.

He reminds me more of Verratti than Pirlo in that he uses close dribbling and technical touches whereas Pirlo uses a more free-flowing style with feints.

Over Verratti, he has the advantage of increased size.

I think that Italy should give up on Montolivo anyway so I would not mind them trying Cigarini in the next friendly/qualifier as a starter.

·
Premium Member
14,067 Posts
I love threads like this, people should dig up more of these. Nothing quite as entertaining as time showing exactly how wrong people were...

·
MVP
8,991 Posts
IMO - He's vastly underrated. I'm not saying he's of epic-Pirlo-esque proportions of a midfielder. Nevertheless he's a hard worker and a good passer.

If Nocerino gets call ups, I don't see why Ciga can't get a call-up.

It is a shame though, he never lived up to his full potential.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts