Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Maritimo hasn't lost to any of the big three this year, they robbed us of two point on opening day as well.

Called up:

Guarda-redes: Quim e Júlio César;

Defesas: Maxi Pereira, Luisão, David Luiz, Miguel Vítor, Sidnei e César Peixoto;

Médios: Javi Garcia, Ramires, Carlos Martins, Di María, Pablo Aimar e Fábio Coentrão;

Avançados: Saviola, Cardozo, Nuno Gomes, Alan Kardec e Éder Luís.

We need the points, let's go Benfica :)

·
Administrator
25,359 Posts
wont be an easy one, but its key that we win it. we cant loose the chance of gaining the extra distance regarding porto

FORÇA BENFICAAAA! :fero: :D

·
Premier Player
2,656 Posts
5-0 with plenty of time left:doh:

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nothing much to add, Savi's goal pretty much made everything easier, their red cards were deserved and there could have been another penalty and another red card, however the score was already so high that I think that the ref did well but just letting it go.

Picked up 2 points vs Porto as Sporting and Braga both won.
See you next weekend.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Lucky.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
:(

·
Registered
28,215 Posts
Nice win, Porto out of the title race now?

Watches Joshua respond back to this :D.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Porto are obviously still in the race and they just signed Rúben Micael, an excellent player that can improve their midfield significantly. 16 games have gone, still 14 to go. Everything still to play for, especially in the portuguese league...

·
Premier Player
2,656 Posts
their red cards were deserved
Any word what was said for a straight red? Unless he told the ref to **** his mom, that was harsh.

·
Registered
496 Posts
It was harsh. Footballs a game of emotions and all that, but he knows he risks being penalized the moment he opens his mouth.

·
Administrator
25,359 Posts
i found that 1st card a bit harsh too, though of course we dont know what was said, and players always take a risk when swearing at the refs

having said that, maritimo only has themselves to blame

·
Registered
496 Posts
Whatever. He clearly wasn't telling the referee how beautiful his eyes looked under the moonlight, let's face it.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Whatever. He clearly wasn't telling the referee how beautiful his eyes looked under the moonlight, let's face it.
Such irony towards a portuguese ref would subsequently lead to a red card as well, unless the respective player wore blue and white stripes. ;)

PS: Porto are definitely not out of the title race, unfortunately. Pinto da Costa is probably pulling some strings now.

Haha, but whatever, this Benfica team is just fun to watch. I couldn't care less about the fat depressed man from the north and his inferiority complex. Viva Benfica! :star: :proud:

·
Premier Player
2,656 Posts
I don't want to dwell on this too much simply because I, like many of you, think the reffing in Portugal stinks big time.

Regarding this: It comes down to protocol. We all watch games. We see players across all leagues get booked for dissent. I can't recall seeing a player given a straight red. Can't say I literally haven't seen it happened, but if I have it's been so long I have forgotten. That's why the decision stood out.

In a well run organization, which I again will assume that we all agree the league is not, the ref would require a VERY good reason for going outside the norm.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
I've seen that many times to be honest, don't consider it as out of the norm. The rules are very strict (at least in the German rulesbook, but I think all of them belong to a general FIFA-law anyway): Insulting the referree, an opponent or a teammate (such as throwing snowballs at any of them, by the way :D) will be punished by showing the culprit a straight red card. Yellow cards, however, are shown for constant complaining without direct instulting (in general only the captain of a team is allowed to communicate complaints with a referee).

Often also managers would be send to the tribunes for verbal misbehaviour, by the way. You must remember that if you follow the career of José Mourinho a bit. ;)

·
Registered
496 Posts
I don't want to dwell on this too much simply because I, like many of you, think the reffing in Portugal stinks big time.

Regarding this: It comes down to protocol. We all watch games. We see players across all leagues get booked for dissent. I can't recall seeing a player given a straight red. Can't say I literally haven't seen it happened, but if I have it's been so long I have forgotten. That's why the decision stood out.

In a well run organization, which I again will assume that we all agree the league is not, the ref would require a VERY good reason for going outside the norm.
Everything you say is true, without a doubt. But, we still don't know what exactly was said, so it's hard to say if the punishment was harsh or not. I still think the player has to shoulder some of the responsibility since he obviously said something and he should know better than to put himself in this position. This is Portugal after all!

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Everything you say is true, without a doubt. But, we still don't know what exactly was said, so it's hard to say if the punishment was harsh or not. I still think the player has to shoulder some of the responsibility since he obviously said something and he should know better than to put himself in this position. This is Portugal after all!
I think all Latin countries are the same, be it European Latin or Latin American.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I can't recall seeing a player given a straight red. Can't say I literally haven't seen it happened, but if I have it's been so long I have forgotten. That's why the decision stood out.
In round 2 of this year league, this same ref gave two Nacional players a red card for words in a game against FC Porto.

And if I'm not mistaken, in a game against Boavista, we got 3 of our own players expelled from the game. I think one of them was for words. It was also this ref.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts