Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dilemma is over the capacity Anfield can reach. We can expand the ground to nearly 67,000, but Man U will exceed this next season. If we want to go 70k+ we have to go else where as it is not possible to have greater at the present site. So what do we do, build for the short term or bite the bullet and move now?

Either way Liverpool will move. Might as well do it now?

X

·
0 Posts
l'pool may well have to quit anfield and move to a bigger stadium..which is revealed at koptalk..

anfield could be expanded to a certain extent but not enough...and also the costs of expanding would be greater than building another bigger stadium..

it's true we;ve been at anfield for something like a century..but the time to leave is probably very close and money affairs is taking over historical ones...

·
Registered
818 Posts
No I don't think they are quitting Anfield. Instead, they are planning to expand the stadium. A blueprint is already out. I think Kop Talk has a picture of it a few months back.

------------------
Lestor Wong
http://lfc-net.com

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
They're putting 2 new tiers over the main stand which will bring the capacity up to ~58k or something. There was talk years ago of building a big stadium outside of town with the Everton but that never materialised. Personally I'd hate to see them leave. Its a top stadium at the moment and there's always a buzz walking thro Shankly gates.

·
Registered
7,601 Posts
don't leave that historical place!!
just expand the capacity!
and xax, please don't say something like liverpool doesn't have money for that! :D

X

·
0 Posts
yyups unfortunately anfield ha a limit and GH said that man utd has already generated more than 15M just on gates profit..and that we have to get more capacity soon if we want to catch up..

and then expanding anfield would cost more than build a new and bigger stadium..

S

·
0 Posts
There's a problem expanding the capacity of Anfield at the moment because of the housing surrounding parts of the stadium and the unwillingness of the residents to sell their houses to the club (similar problem at Highbury). But we should do all we can to stay at Anfield - a new stadium would not provide the same atmosphere and £ would be a big problem especially now we are rebuilding the team. But GH did recently say that he wanted to compete with Man utd on and off the pitch in terms of the revenue gained from attendances.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
I say that the time is getting close to a move from Anfield. If we don't we will start to fall behind utd again, they are set to make 1.5 million pounds in profit per home game next season, we need to be trying to get levels like that if we want to compete in transfers with them in the future.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
We should stay at Anfield - I love the place.
Would the Kop's atmosphere be re-created in a new stadium?
I'm happy that we are going to expand though as I will be able to get more tickets (yeay for me).

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Look at Sunderland, they have a wonderful stadium and also have a great atmosphere. I think as long as the designers build it in a similar style to Anfield then there should be no problem with atmosphere

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
I don't know. I mean so many greats have played there.

X

·
0 Posts
l'pool has been playing decades and decades at anfield..and for sure there is a lot of history there..

but i think it's time for a move elsewhere..
man utd ,arsenal, fulham,etc..are all presently looking to build a larger stadium..

i heard it could happen we and everton build and share the same new stadium..
what about ya!?would u mind sharing it with our dear neighbours!??

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
who cares about bloody manu and revenue. Liverpool is Anfield, Anfield is Liverpool. If we win leagues we will generate as much cash as you like. Building a new stadium will drain the club financially for YEARS. And dont think that selling Anfield will generate much cash. Its not exactly in Englands most sought after property areas.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Anfield is a superb ground, and it's atmosphere is amazing. However, it is US, the fans, that create this atmosphere, spurred on by the players. We, the loyal liverpool fans will go wherever our team goes, and therefore whether we stay at Anfield or not, our ground will ALWAYS have the renowned Anfield atmosphere 'cos WE will be there. In fact, if anything,it will be even more intense because there would be more fans, and we would finally be able to compete with Man U, Barcelona, Real etc on level terms. A bigger ground is the way forward, and, although it may be sad to leave behind the ground on which Liverpool has achieved so much, we can be consolidated by the fact our future is destined to bring even more success, and next time we win the league, there will be more than 60,000 fans there to behold our glory.

Besides this, isn't it true that only the Kop was built before 1991, and all the other stands have been built after this point? There is not a great deal of History since 1991 for us!
For me the Head says Yes move, and the Heart says stay!

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Who cares how muhc money Man Utd makes,and who cares how good support the Black Cats get at The Stadium of Light (really nice indeed) ANFIELD is Liverpool.What about the statue of Shankly,what about the gamtes of Shankly...

Share the stadium with Everton? yes then we could make a team named Liverton or Everpool.

------------------
The sun will rise again...and it will be...GIALLOBLU!

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
I never mentioned sharing with Everton!
The simple fact is that football is now very, very money orientateted. Now either you want Liverpool to be challenging for trophies or you are going to be content with us being a top 6 side.
Personally I would rather move now and catch up financially with the top European sides than languish about in 2nd place in the premiership.
In 5 years time the prices for players and wages they demand will have increased by 200 percent, to be able to keep competitive, we have to move with the times. Now is the time to be building a new Stadium, but if we are to do it, we should do it right and build one with the capacity of 80-100,000 with enough ground to be able to increase capacity in the future.
As for the gates and statue, surely they can be moved to the new stadium?

X

·
0 Posts
sorry to dissapoint some of u..but me too i like the idea of building and moving to a nwe stadium..

if we want to keep up with the giants..we have to do so on and off the field..
to get the best players..we have to get the money and a large proportion comes from gates revenues...

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Thanks xax, that is what I was trying to say, Houllier has said time and time again, we have to compete off and on the field with the giants of Football.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts