Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it was interesting to see nikopolidis get booed by the pao fans,i suppose he didnt expect that kind of reception,he thought to himself i served this club for 10-15 yrs they will applaud me in appreciation of what i have done for them in the past.
the fact i think that he was a pao player for so long ,made his switch to osfp even more hard to take.go anywhere but there,the fans are thinking,anyway he was much loved at pao for all those years ,and he went to the arch enemy,you find that strong love when it goes bad ends up in strong hatred.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
The vazeloi aren't exactly rapt about the way the board has treated him and other players no doubt. But if you've been at a club for 15 years surely you'd think that going to OSFP would tick the fans off to put it mildly. :mute:

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
The whole climax against Nikopolidis was orchestrated by the Vardinogianni family. Why let the fans think that after serving the club for 15 years for peanuts, they couldn't offer him a decent contract? No, let us put the organised fans on his ass and play stupid songs during warm up. Traitor! :rolleyes:

The reality is that Nikopolidis would NOT move to Olympiakos if PAO wanted to keep him. He didn't make any crazy demands, just a good contract he was entitled too. He is too old to move abroad and apart from Olympiakos, which other team in Greece can offer him this kind of money?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
A goalie at 30 yrs old isnt too old to move anywhere, esp with Nikopolidis excellent mental game

Bottom line is if your at PAO and you go to gavros youre going to get booed, hard... only Warzycha and a few others wouldve escaped this fate

Lets also not forget (however selfish this may sound) that Nikopolidis technically never won any trophies for us, th best thing he did was help with the run to the quarters in the cl and the semis in uefa

Aain i reiterate the fact that I would not have so much animosity towards him if he hadnt taken the initiative with the press and bag PAO and antagonize everyone

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
g00nis said:
A goalie at 30 yrs old isnt too old to move anywhere, esp with Nikopolidis excellent mental game
Nikopolidis is 33.

Bottom line is if your at PAO and you go to gavros youre going to get booed, hard... only Warzycha and a few others wouldve escaped this fate
Of course he was going to get booed. But there is a difference between booing him and demonizing him. Calling him a "traitor", printing bank bills with his face (such a cliche...), and playing stupid songs about him during warm up... Jesus. I mean, I don't like seeing Kafes turning up for Olympiakos either, and I certainly don't have positive feelings about him anymore but... there is a difference between choosing to piss on a club Ronaldo-way and being forced out due to the circumstances. Nikopolidis, much like Kafes, was forced to leave because the club he was playing for could not (or did not want) to pay him what he deserved. And that was a choice made by PAO's management. It is entirelly naive to think that Nikopolidis would sign for Olympiakos if he could stay with PAO. Why do that and subject himself to all this???

Lets also not forget (however selfish this may sound) that Nikopolidis technically never won any trophies for us, th best thing he did was help with the run to the quarters in the cl and the semis in uefa
Well, one could argue that having Nikopolidis as goalkeeper instead of Chalkias last season would probably not ruin your chances for the title and the cup. And it's not like he lost his place in the team due to bad performances, did he...

Aain i reiterate the fact that I would not have so much animosity towards him if he hadnt taken the initiative with the press and bag PAO and antagonize everyone
He had to be accepted to a new set of fans who have been hating him for years. It's not like he went out and made anti-PAO comments. What did you expect him to say? "I might play for Olympiakos, but deep in my heart I'm a vazelos"... Come ON!

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Esu den eisai PANATHA amoroso,your not able to jurdge how we should feel about him ;)

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
No, but I can still call you sheep and/or bitter bastards. ;)

And in any case, I DO know how you feel. Been there before, lots of times.

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
All im syaing is,if you was a PAO fan you wouldnt be saying what your saying on this issue.Wether Tzigger could have offered him,or maybe SHOULD,have offered him more money,is irrelevant when you consider how he spent 15 years with us and how we loved him.Adored him.Then went to our bitter rivals.Other clusb wanted him-dont kid yourself.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I don't like seeing Kafes turning up for Olympiakos either
...or Venetidis, or Georgiadis, or Okkas. And Gounaris, Orfanos, Kostikos, Mpaniotis, Mavromattis and Skartados in the past. And all this on the top of my head. :smileani:

Though I agree with you on the "sheep" call. :)

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Evil 37 said:
...or Venetidis, or Georgiadis, or Okkas.
Yeah but none of them had any kind of affection for PAOK (too young to feel anything about the others). Nikopolidis, much like Kafes, is similar in the sense of being attached to the club.

Though, if I'm being honest, I'm not exactly devastated Kafes left. But you get my point.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
AMOROSO! said:
Nikopolidis is 33.

Of course he was going to get booed. But there is a difference between booing him and demonizing him. Calling him a "traitor", printing bank bills with his face (such a cliche...), and playing stupid songs about him during warm up... Jesus. I mean, I don't like seeing Kafes turning up for Olympiakos either, and I certainly don't have positive feelings about him anymore but... there is a difference between choosing to piss on a club Ronaldo-way and being forced out due to the circumstances. Nikopolidis, much like Kafes, was forced to leave because the club he was playing for could not (or did not want) to pay him what he deserved. And that was a choice made by PAO's management. It is entirelly naive to think that Nikopolidis would sign for Olympiakos if he could stay with PAO. Why do that and subject himself to all this???

Well, one could argue that having Nikopolidis as goalkeeper instead of Chalkias last season would probably not ruin your chances for the title and the cup. And it's not like he lost his place in the team due to bad performances, did he...

He had to be accepted to a new set of fans who have been hating him for years. It's not like he went out and made anti-PAO comments. What did you expect him to say? "I might play for Olympiakos, but deep in my heart I'm a vazelos"... Come ON!
First, off my bad on the age thing, still think he couldve had an impact in another league, hes still good

Second, he DID make anti-PAO comments, I was in Greece for 3 weeks last summer and every time I got an issue of Goal News he was making some negative statements about PAO

Third, he signed with OSFP before the season even ended, and to think he actually celebrated the cup like it meant something to him, pousti

As far as him being demonized he isnt, only when he went to Leoforos, he doesnt get death threats neither has his personal property been vandalized, what did you expect him to get a standing o when he came to Leoforos? None of the fans like him and none of the fans have any fond memories of him, thats simply the way it is

Like I said only a few players (Domazos, Warzycha, Saravakos) would have escaped being treated the way Nikopolidis was.... its one thing to go to AEK, but its another thing entirely to go to OSFP... esp during the Kokkalis era

BTW I thought the dollar bills was an excellent idea. Pretty clever if you ask me.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Thrylos said:
Kafes hated PAOK, his heart belongs to Pontioi Veroias. :p
is coffee a pontios?

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'm pretty sure, I know thats the team he was playing for before PAOK found him, and his younger brother also plays for them now I think.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Listen, any star player that turns his back on his old team regardless of what happens will get a real bad treatment. For example: Patrick Roy for the Habs back in 96, and even more recently Vince carter when he ditched from the raptors felt abuse from the fans in his first game back in Toronto today.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Thrylos said:
I'm pretty sure, I know thats the team he was playing for before PAOK found him, and his younger brother also plays for them now I think.
That's true.

His younger brother also belongs to PAOK and is on loan at Veria.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts