Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now the Figo era is over and we have gotten lots of money for a heartless bastard. SO now, lets think about what we should do with this money. For me the first order of business is to get back De La Pena from Lazio. I have waiting for this day and i think it is time for him to come home. I guess now that Zenden will be staying since Figo has gone so we don't really need Overmars. But if for some reason Zenden still were to leave, I think there are better options then Overmars. Personally I think Ze Roberto of Bayer Leverkusen is a more talented younger player who can provide the same as overmars for a lower price. Next, is the Alfonso issue. I would expect him to be signed within this week. But if this signing involves us sending Nano or Arnau to Betis i think we should cancel the deal. These are two young talents that we must hold on to. I think we also need to sign another central back for next season. Maybe someone like Paco from Zaragoza. I don't think we really need someone like Petit as he is getting old. We need someone in the middle with Pep who is going to win a lot of balls and brake up attacks, but not Petit. I like someone like Viera, strong and skillful. Also we should go after some new attacking midfielder like Aimar or Riquelme, but only if Rivaldo leaves, and i am hoping he doesn't.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Isn't Paco 29?
Anyway, with $50 million extra to spend over our original budget, I think we can aim higher than him.
How about Nesta or Cannavaro?
And will Sergi be occupying the Left wing-back role this season or is a replacement being planned?
Personally I think that Reiziger should move into the right-central role and we should buy Zanetti or Contra for the right wing-back. And then alongside Reiziger we could play a good Italian sweeper (the 2 above mentoined) and Frank de Boer can try to improve on last season.
For midfield I like the image of Guardiola alongside Cocu, Vieirra or de la Pena, or we could even bring Gerard back home (if it wouldn't be too humiliating to admit the great error of releasing him 3 years ago. lol).
Ahead of these 2 it seems likely that Rivaldo will play, but I won't shed too many tears if we replace him with Aimar or Riquelme.
And finally I think that we will still have Kluivert come the start of the season, but I don't like the idea of Alfonso beside him. He is 27 now I think and we could aim much higher than him. Even Dani is better in my opinion. Why not take a risk on Saviola or even the questionable Ronaldo? And hey, in 6 or 7 months a certain forgotten name - Ruud van Nistelrooij - will be fit again and probably a hell of alot cheaper.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
But Ruud is Dutch, and that's something we can't use right now...
Guardiola should be paired with Cocu.
And the rest...comes...naturally

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
That would be really worth it! :)

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
I actually never believed this! I could have understood if Figo had transferred to Italy, but I never believed he would go to Real.
Before going further I would like to know whether Barca fans equal this with Laudrup's Real move some years back ?
Being Danish I might have a more understanding approach towards Laudrup as he got into a big quarrel with Cruijff and that 's why he wanted to leave (he always address the Barca years as his best ever in football, both proffesionally and personally, in Danish television).
If Zenden does indeed stay remember taht Enrique will be back. To me he's just simply awesome and he will cover alot.

Having said that you obviosly have money to spend. Getting Nesta or Cannavaro will be virtually impossible. If you were to get any of them it would be Cannavaro, but in any case their fee would be more than 30 million £ (I know it's rediculous for a defender, but those two WILL cost that much).
That's the reason the money would be better spent elsewhere. There are many names to drag on- I just hope you stay off Zizou and Davids :).

Ciao.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Glen, in answer to your question, this time it is much worse than when Laudrup left. Figo was captain of Barca (in Pep Guardiola's absence) and he said many times that he loved Barca, Barcelona and its fans. He lied to us all and stabbed us in the back. He is a Judas and we all know what happened to him don't we?

·
RIP Alton Ellis
5,659 Posts
I think the Laudrup thing was worse because he was negotiating with Madrid for half a season whilst playing for Barça.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
For Barça I think Laudrup was worse. He negotiated during the season, and that is worse than negotiating when the season is over. BUT: Laudrup didn't stab us in the back, he wasn't a Judas, he was just a "normal" traitor. And the stab in the back hurts way more...

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Laudrup and Luis Enrique had serius reasons to switch from Real to Barca and vice versa,they were unhappy and somehow pissed of.Figo left only for the money.I would never forgive this to a player.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts