Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There were alot of people doubting if Claudio Lopez was going to successfully be repalced after leving. He has been replaced by some great players up front: Carew, Marcelo Delgado, Zahovic and Alonso. Don't forget that they had Angulo who was playing just as good as Lopez and illie. They have a great midfield wich includes Mendieta,kily gonzalez and gerrard(he is still technically with the club)

Valencia have no worrys, they replced there leader better than I thought they would. And for that, out of respect, AMUNT VALENCIA!

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
I agree. BUT I think that Valencia may have over done it. We now have too many forwards. Even if we play Zahovic in the midfield, will he coexist with Mendieta?

·
International
6,519 Posts
Zahovic in the midfield ??!

Nonono, my friend, he is straught STRIKER and he definately won't play in the midfield.

J

·
0 Posts
Well I come from Slovenia, so I know him little more.
His natural position is behind strikers - offensive midfielder. But he can also play as one of two strikers, and he does this very very goodd.:cool:

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Valencia's forward line and for that matter the team as a whole look well in place for the new season. I think that Valencia will enjoy an excellent season. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
778 Posts
OK, I'll add my 2 cents...
I haven't seen Zahovic play much, but my impression of him is that he would be more comfortable going forward, as opposed to being forward. That is, take the ball forward as an offensive midfielder (like Jimmy said).
If I'm right about his game, he will be extremely successful at Valencia, as his game would fit perfectly with Valencia's.
I hope I'm right...

Ziad

·
Registered
778 Posts
I think that this is the big question in Valencia (I bet even Cuper doesn't know yet :) I also think that there won't be a "fixed" forward lineup. That is, I believe we will probably see a lot of combinations.
To directly answer your question though, I really can't say at this time, mainly because I have no idea what to make of Alonso and, to a lesser extent, Carew. They are the two unknowns (for me). Also, will Ilie be consistent? However, I know that I wouldn't start Sanchez (but Cuper seems to really like him).
We also have the issue of the 3 maximum "foreigners" (non-communitarians). We currently have 5: Djukic, Kily, Ilie, Alonso, and Zahovic. Only three of them can start (Kily and Alonso should get their Spanish citizenship sometime this season).
Now, we know Djukic will start. We also know that Kily will most probably start. That leaves one spot for Ilie, Alonso, and Zahovic. I'd think it would be safe to say that Zahovic will get the last spot (but again, like I said above, I don't know much about Alonso).
Depending on the tactics used, an Angulo-Zahovic front line would look good, or an Ilie-Zahovic, if Kily or Djukic can't play.
The good thing (and in some cases bad perhaps) is having so many options/combinations available. But regardless of the combination, it should be good one.
And don't get me started about our midfield :) It's a monster!
I guess we'll know more of what is in Cuper's mind in the next two friendly games.

Ziad

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
ARGH!

I totally forgot about the EU-passport crap. I think it is so unfair for these Eastern European players. :( :(

My only hope is that Kily and Alonso get their Spanish passports sooner than later, because I want to see one of my favorite Valencia players (Ilie) get back into the lineup. And he recently told Romanian newspapers that he will do his best to make everyone forget last season.

A

·
0 Posts
i have seen a loy of carew as i do get coverage of norweigan league.
and belive me he is a naturally tallented clinical finisher.
i see him as the natural replacement for claudio lopez.
and i think zahovic will play just behind the strikers he did it very well with slovenia during euro 2000.
the strike partnership according to me will be marcelo delgado and carew.

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Ho, ho ho. Zahovic a striker? hahaha, he is a natural offensive midfilder, he plays best, when he comes in and supports the strikers. He cannot play as an all out striker. Still, I think he is a good signing, same goes for Delgado. You guys will see Delgado and Ilie are gonna rule the Valencia striking department this year. Carew is simply an awful signing, he will be the Anelka of Valencia this year. Maybe he will turn it on come next year, but this is gonna be a bad year for him. I have seen him play lots of times and he simply sux, he was good in the Norwegian league, but that isn't Spain. I predict trouble with him, not that you have to worry - Delgado, Iliie and Juan Sanchez are great payers and will do what they have to, plus the amazing Kily Gonzalez - aRRRRGGGGGHHHH! Great overall:D

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Zahovic is a 100% offencive midfielder.Not a forward.However,dont worry about hinm..he will probably be banned by the half of the season.

I think Carew will be something like Milosevic,a strong bull in the area.He is not as good as Milosevic but it is proven that most of these heavy forwards succeed in spain.Diego Tristan,Salva and Milosevic are perfect exambles.Angulo is way overrated in my opinion and he is not as good as the rest Valencia forwards.Juan Sanchez is a mystery.At Celta he was simply fantastic but at Valencia less that n convincing.Delgado will definitely start.I think Cuper will play Kily at the left,Mendieta at the right,Deschamps as an anchor with Zahovic as a play-maker/offencive midfielder.For the forward line Delgado is a certainty in my eyes with the other fighting for the other sport.I suspect that Juan Sanchez and Carew are the favorites although I dont know Alonso at all.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Guys, who is Delgado????
There is no Delgado in Valencia!
There is an Allonso, but no Delgado.
Also, Labas, I think you are correct about Zahovic. He will probably be best when coming up from the midfield. Much like the infamous Mijatovic when he played in Valencia.

Now, about tomorrow's game. Deschamps and Kily will not make the trip (Deschamps is still short on form, and Kily has some minor injuries). Zahovic will go, but will probably not start.
The probable team (according to Marca) is:

Canizares
Angloma
Djukic
Pellegrino
Carboni
Albelda
Mendieta
Vicente
Angulo
Ilie
Diego Alonso

That's all for now,

Ziad

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Thanks for clarifying Ziad.

I was getting excited reading about Delgado here, because I thought we didn't transfer him here. And then I looked at the transfer's Valencia have made and there is no Delgado.

Although, Cuper wanted him a few months ago, I think we will get him next season, but not this one.

BTW, Alonso is Uruguayan and played in the Argentina first division that may be why some of you though it was Marcelo Delgado. :confused:

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
I remember vey well that Valencia bought Delgado from Racing last Januray and loaned him out instantly to Boca Junior till the summer comes so he would replace Lopez.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts