Xtratime Community banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

· Registered
4,469 Posts
Spain will do well in the next WC. Better than this one. We'll have new players to replace some of the older retired players. Players such as Joaquin are just a prelude to the young talent that Spain has to offer. Also, we will have other players probably like Vicente. Raul will be a little older which means more experienced. Spain will have a good chance. Although I think the Euro Cup will be a better chance for them, since it is only two years away and the national team will be seeking revenge to do well after the Korea fiasco!

· Registered
13,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Raider Nation said:
Turkey should do as well in 2006. There are 2.5 million Turks living in Germany and if you thought the Korean fans were a little bonkers, wait until you see them!
Well let's just see if they make it. Remember Holland was a top contender for the cup, but were eliminated in qualification by Ireland & Portugal. Just remember, Turkey didn't face anyone competitive throughout the whole tournament except Brazil.

· Registered
13,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Oh man you had to start with me... First of all we can kick Turkey's ass any day just like we did in Euro 2000. Japan, Korea, Senegal,.... who the hell are you gonna name next as respectable? Out of all those teams SK may be the only real team, but they beat them in a 3rd place game in which I believe the South Koreas took seriously from the begining, could of won. Japan is not a super power, Senegal is not.

And also you have to understand that Portugal had some of the best talent in the world, basically the whole team played numerous games for their club, and had injuries. I hardly see any Turks excluding a few that had the same problem.

So kid watch what you say, my comment was not meant to be read as an insult, but that just proves that you really are a FIFA World Cup Loser.

· Registered
25 Posts
You call a 2-0 victory against a 10 man team an ass kicking, you are indeed blind as a bat. Turkey missed a load of chances in that match including a penalty. I gurantee you if Turkey and Portugal met today the result would be much different.

Senegal, South Korea and Japan, heck even Costa Rica played much better football than Portugal, that was my point. They are certainly not world powers but they were competitive. Portugal did have some of the best talent in the world on paper but I dont think you're going to argue with me that results were not there during the WC.

I wanted Portugal to go through until I watched the Korea - Portugal match, it was disgraceful. A so called soccer "world power" holding back just to get a tie against a "non competitive" team only to get there "asses kicked"! Go take a cold shower buddy and dont forget to wash that green off your face. My team played excellent football against good opponents and placed third in the WC!

· Registered
13,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Raider Nation said:
You call a 2-0 victory against a 10 man team an ass kicking, you are indeed blind as a bat. Turkey missed a load of chances in that match including a penalty. I gurantee you if Turkey and Portugal met today the result would be much different.

Senegal, South Korea and Japan, heck even Costa Rica played much better football than Portugal, that was my point. They are certainly not world powers but they were competitive. Portugal did have some of the best talent in the world on paper but I dont think you're going to argue with me that results were not there during the WC.

I wanted Portugal to go through until I watched the Korea - Portugal match, it was disgraceful. A so called soccer "world power" holding back just to get a tie against a "non competitive" team only to get there "asses kicked"! Go take a cold shower buddy and dont forget to wash that green off your face. My team played excellent football against good opponents and placed third in the WC!

Hmm... is there a possibility that you are living in a closet? The World Cup was set up. "asses kicked" ? Portugal lost 1-0 and were down 2 men. Its like you haven't read anything I said. My friend let me introduce you to a word called Fatigue. It happens alot to players, mainly the best that are played alot, unfortunatly most of Turkey's player did not suffer much fatigue coming into the World Cup. But you have to get it into your ****en head that I never said Turkey was a bad side. I'd like to see Turkey play a healthy Portugal side and see what would happen. And all the teams you mentioned, Senegal, SK, and Costa Rica played much better football than Portugal, well I just said that there is something called fatigue. And it also doesn't help if FIFA gives the other side a little advantage. Watch the ****en games my friend tell me if I'm not right, the majority of the calls made in Portugal's games were always against them. I respect Turkey, after that showing at the end of the 3rd place match, but now your really pissing me off, and your embarrassing your team. So I think its better that we close this, because nothing will come out of it. Turkey was a surprise, and all the super powers had there most disappointing WC since, with some exceptions.

· Cachorro
18,744 Posts
Portugal's problems

Soccer Star said:
Japan, Korea, Senegal,.... who the hell are you gonna name next as respectable? Out of all those teams SK may be the only real team, but they beat them in a 3rd place game in which I believe the South Koreas took seriously from the begining, could of won. Japan is not a super power, Senegal is not.

And also you have to understand that Portugal had some of the best talent in the world, basically the whole team played numerous games for their club, and had injuries. I hardly see any Turks excluding a few that had the same problem.
Senegal and Turkey aren't 'real teams'? :confused: Why, they were two of the best teams in the World Cup, organized and determined. If anyone, Portugal wasn't a real team - I'm sorry to say, as I was hoping they would go far, as I do in Euro Cups and in whichever league Portugal plays; they have my sympathy. But the fact remains that Portugal suckked HARD. Figo should never have been used if he was unfit - if he was unfit and he was used anyway, Portugal can't use that as an excuse for failure, sorry. And if he wasn't unfit, then he just plain suckked.

This 'injury' thing is just an excuse. Germany had the same Euro season Portugal had, and so did Cafu, Lucio, Edmilson, Roque Junior, Roberto Carlos, Denilson, Junior and Ronaldinho Gaucho. And these players played rather well, don't you think? If Portugal had injured players, they shouldn't thave used these players.

Portugal was not properly prepared for the World Cup, that's what happened. There was arrogance - they didn't scout their opponents because they thought they would 'naturally' win against such poor competition as Poland and the USA. Portugal's opponents, on the other hand, did their homework humbly and collected the results. Also, some Portuguese players were given starter positions due to their reputations, despite the better form of some reserves. It was an attitude problem, among other things. Nothing that can't be solved and avoided in future competitions - provided Portugal recognized the mistakes that were made and changes what needs to be changed. If everything is excused with a self-indulgent "we were robbed" or "we had player with physical problems", then I'm afraid the failures will happen again. :(

· Registered
13,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Re: Portugal's problems

Garrincha said:

Senegal and Turkey aren't 'real teams'? :confused: Why, they were two of the best teams in the World Cup, organized and determined. If anyone, Portugal wasn't a real team - I'm sorry to say, as I was hoping they would go far, as I do in Euro Cups and in whichever league Portugal plays; they have my sympathy. But the fact remains that Portugal suckked HARD. Figo should never have been used if he was unfit - if he was unfit and he was used anyway, Portugal can't use that as an excuse for failure, sorry. And if he wasn't unfit, then he just plain suckked.

This 'injury' thing is just an excuse. Germany had the same Euro season Portugal had, and so did Cafu, Lucio, Edmilson, Roque Junior, Roberto Carlos, Denilson, Junior and Ronaldinho Gaucho. And these players played rather well, don't you think? If Portugal had injured players, they shouldn't thave used these players.

Portugal was not properly prepared for the World Cup, that's what happened. There was arrogance - they didn't scout their opponents because they thought they would 'naturally' win against such poor competition as Poland and the USA. Portugal's opponents, on the other hand, did their homework humbly and collected the results. Also, some Portuguese players were given starter positions due to their reputations, despite the better form of some reserves. It was an attitude problem, among other things. Nothing that can't be solved and avoided in future competitions - provided Portugal recognized the mistakes that were made and changes what needs to be changed. If everything is excused with a self-indulgent "we were robbed" or "we had player with physical problems", then I'm afraid the failures will happen again. :(
Listen man, your right. But if I wrote what I had to say on Portugal, you wouldn't have to say any of those things. It's just that this member had no reason to jump out at me. Because I know I'm right. If Turkey played Italy or Spain, they wouldn't have reached the semis. The got a lucky draw. Plus Rivaldo was right, the only reason Turkey got in was because Brazil helped by defeating Costa Rica.

But please!!! Understand what I am saying, Turkey is a good side, but if all the teams in the World were healthy, Turkey would not be able to defeat the Portuguese team of now.

· Cachorro
18,744 Posts
Re: Re: Portugal's problems

Soccer Star said:
But please!!! Understand what I am saying, Turkey is a good side, but if all the teams in the World were healthy, Turkey would not be able to defeat the Portuguese team of now.
Soccer Star,
If all the teams were healthy, it would come down to who had done a better preparation - and that includes the tactical planning and opponents' scouting. It's not just about physical conditions as you say; a careful analysis of the opponents' strong and weak points, and an adequate strategy build over that, is just as important. That's what I'm saying: Portugal's weak points were successfully explored, the Portuguese coach didn't have good alternatives and that led the team straight to defeat. The same happened to France IMO, Lemerre sat on his hands and didn't do jack to adapt his tactics to the circumstances - he just hoped his players would fix things, just for being in the field - and he never realized that his strategy had been clamped down.

Did France have the Zidane injury to deal with? Yes. Did Figo play without perfect match fitness? Yes. Did their coaches change the game plan to adapt to this situation? No, because they thought the mere presence in the pitch of their star players would be enough to win. After all, France had the top goalscorers of EPL and Serie A - and they would eventually score a couple of goals and fix things! Portugal had the golden generation - how could they not win, after waiting for so long for the WC? The managers' attitude was the center of the problem, and that self-sufficiency affected the players as well - Desailly for instance, looked almost offended at the goals France suffered from less prestigious teams, as if these goals were outrageous gaffes. :rollani:

So arrogance led to poor planning, and the mixture of both things led to defeat.

So I think that even with both teams 100%, fit Portugal might fall before Turkey - because poor fitness wasn't Portugal's only problem. Portugal's players are awesome, I'll grant you that, but their management wasn't so brilliant.

· Canonized
38,056 Posts
Dude,
Tuekry have a very good team. Their only probable eas Hakan Suker. Their goalie is brilliant, there defense is pretty good. There midifeld is above average witht he likes of Emre and Basturk. And if they find a prolific goalscorer they will be a force in football, cause Hasas Sas can certainly set up some plays!!

One thig for sure:

brazil will play scotland in the first round!;) :cool:

· Registered
13,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
WTF? You think I don't know that? Oliveira and the FPF were all the main factors of Portugal's down fall. I've already stated that a team with 11 players and the best coaching staff will beat a team with the best players and the worst coaching staff anyday.

I'm just saying this n00b made me flip out, because I didn't say anything towards Turkey being a sucky ass squad, but then this dam ****en n00b starts talking a load of crap about Portugal.

Dam I ****en hate n00bs.......

· Cachorro
18,744 Posts
Soccer Star said:
I'm just saying this n00b made me flip out, because I didn't say anything towards Turkey being a sucky ass squad, but then this dam ****en n00b starts talking a load of crap about Portugal.

Dam I ****en hate n00bs.......
OK, calm down, no need to get all worked up. You said that Turkey would not be able to beat a 100% fit Portugal and I disagreed. What's the problem?

By the way, what's a n00b? :)

· Registered
13,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Well first of all I'm mad at you. And n00b means Newbies. Just remember that this same Portuguese team tied the soon to be 5 time WC champs Brazil. Basically what is needed to win a World Cup is a good football program, good coaching staff, and faith in each other. Having good players will just make it easier, we saw all of this from this year's Brazillian team. Portugal used to have it, but somewhere in the middle money and politics damaged the dream leaving no chance of it to recover.

· Registered
141 Posts
Hopefully Mexico can get the monkey of their back and make a trip to final 8 in 06.... There team is relativly young

Rafa Marquez
Gerrardo Torrado
Braulio Luna
Melvin Brown
Oscar Perez
Paco Palencia
Johan Rodriguez
Oswaldo Sanchez

Should all be in their mid to late 20's by the next one coming around so the core will remanin

Chuatemoc Blanco, Jared Borggeti, Manuel Vidrio should be in thier mid early to mid 30's

and Adolpho Bautista and Jarir Garcia will be the young guns making a splash...

The coach might be anyone from Bora Milutinovich to Johan Cryff
But the Most likely and my personal choice would be Manuel La Puente... Even though I would LOVE to se "El Vazco" Javier Aguire back

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.