Xtratime Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Cachorro
18,744 Posts
You Really Couldn't Wait, Huh?

My, this is early, huh? :rollani: Well, I guess Germany will have a competitive team. Italy and Argentina too... and obviously Brazil as well, with Julio Cesar, Juan, Valdson, Leonardo and Adriano joining the 2002 World Champions on their bid for their 6th World Cup. :happy: :proud: :hopefull:

And I think the referees will still be treated like garbage in 2006. :D

· Cachorro
18,744 Posts
Portugal's problems

Soccer Star said:
Japan, Korea, Senegal,.... who the hell are you gonna name next as respectable? Out of all those teams SK may be the only real team, but they beat them in a 3rd place game in which I believe the South Koreas took seriously from the begining, could of won. Japan is not a super power, Senegal is not.

And also you have to understand that Portugal had some of the best talent in the world, basically the whole team played numerous games for their club, and had injuries. I hardly see any Turks excluding a few that had the same problem.
Senegal and Turkey aren't 'real teams'? :confused: Why, they were two of the best teams in the World Cup, organized and determined. If anyone, Portugal wasn't a real team - I'm sorry to say, as I was hoping they would go far, as I do in Euro Cups and in whichever league Portugal plays; they have my sympathy. But the fact remains that Portugal suckked HARD. Figo should never have been used if he was unfit - if he was unfit and he was used anyway, Portugal can't use that as an excuse for failure, sorry. And if he wasn't unfit, then he just plain suckked.

This 'injury' thing is just an excuse. Germany had the same Euro season Portugal had, and so did Cafu, Lucio, Edmilson, Roque Junior, Roberto Carlos, Denilson, Junior and Ronaldinho Gaucho. And these players played rather well, don't you think? If Portugal had injured players, they shouldn't thave used these players.

Portugal was not properly prepared for the World Cup, that's what happened. There was arrogance - they didn't scout their opponents because they thought they would 'naturally' win against such poor competition as Poland and the USA. Portugal's opponents, on the other hand, did their homework humbly and collected the results. Also, some Portuguese players were given starter positions due to their reputations, despite the better form of some reserves. It was an attitude problem, among other things. Nothing that can't be solved and avoided in future competitions - provided Portugal recognized the mistakes that were made and changes what needs to be changed. If everything is excused with a self-indulgent "we were robbed" or "we had player with physical problems", then I'm afraid the failures will happen again. :(

· Cachorro
18,744 Posts
Re: Re: Portugal's problems

Soccer Star said:
But please!!! Understand what I am saying, Turkey is a good side, but if all the teams in the World were healthy, Turkey would not be able to defeat the Portuguese team of now.
Soccer Star,
If all the teams were healthy, it would come down to who had done a better preparation - and that includes the tactical planning and opponents' scouting. It's not just about physical conditions as you say; a careful analysis of the opponents' strong and weak points, and an adequate strategy build over that, is just as important. That's what I'm saying: Portugal's weak points were successfully explored, the Portuguese coach didn't have good alternatives and that led the team straight to defeat. The same happened to France IMO, Lemerre sat on his hands and didn't do jack to adapt his tactics to the circumstances - he just hoped his players would fix things, just for being in the field - and he never realized that his strategy had been clamped down.

Did France have the Zidane injury to deal with? Yes. Did Figo play without perfect match fitness? Yes. Did their coaches change the game plan to adapt to this situation? No, because they thought the mere presence in the pitch of their star players would be enough to win. After all, France had the top goalscorers of EPL and Serie A - and they would eventually score a couple of goals and fix things! Portugal had the golden generation - how could they not win, after waiting for so long for the WC? The managers' attitude was the center of the problem, and that self-sufficiency affected the players as well - Desailly for instance, looked almost offended at the goals France suffered from less prestigious teams, as if these goals were outrageous gaffes. :rollani:

So arrogance led to poor planning, and the mixture of both things led to defeat.

So I think that even with both teams 100%, fit Portugal might fall before Turkey - because poor fitness wasn't Portugal's only problem. Portugal's players are awesome, I'll grant you that, but their management wasn't so brilliant.

· Cachorro
18,744 Posts
Soccer Star said:
I'm just saying this n00b made me flip out, because I didn't say anything towards Turkey being a sucky ass squad, but then this dam ****en n00b starts talking a load of crap about Portugal.

Dam I ****en hate n00bs.......
OK, calm down, no need to get all worked up. You said that Turkey would not be able to beat a 100% fit Portugal and I disagreed. What's the problem?

By the way, what's a n00b? :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.