Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by The Green One
washingtone {sic}, why fitzroy simpson? He was pretty entertaining when back at city. Maybe thats why?

~ The Green ne
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks, The Green One, your question has evoked good memories...

However, I had never heard of Simpson while he was at Man City (Did he hit anyone?)

My strongest memories of Fitz stem from his "presence" during the World Cup in France.

The little support Swindon generously offered on Fitzroy Simpson's debut must have dwindled somewhat when he received a straight red card for punching an opponent.

If asked whether they thought he showed the promise of player bound for the next world cup, I am sure his support would then have dwindled to naught...

Yet there he was, an ever present for Jamaica's Reggae Boyz , trading punches (in a football sense) with the likes of Simone (before Beckham even dreamt of it) and pitting his wits against Boban, Veron, Ortega and Nakata.

His (and Jamaica's) performances weren't anything to shout about but it was the journey, not the destination, that was a source of great pride for many.

Did I mention he traded punches with his own team mate (Onandi Lowe) during France '98?!?

I assumed his (journeyman) club career had been the battered victim of his artful combnination of self-destruction and self-regard.

I was happily proven wrong last month, when I saw him playing for a Nationwide Conference side; (the near bankrupt) Telford
F.C. (Oh well, better to be in hell then not to be at all!).

The match was against Millwall in the 4th round of the FA Cup (how a non-league [pro-hell] club got the Fourth round I'll
never know!).

Seeing Dennis "Ún" Wise and Fitzroy Simpson, after all these years, two little terrier leaders, whose menace off the ball
often betrayed no little skill and composure on it, was a pleasant surprise.

Number 19 won the the battle, on the day, with a goal and a victory. I sincerely hope number 8 has called off his war against Terrorism - against himself.

Love and Peace

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
I saw that on the other forum, but didn't reply sorry. Cheers for answering washingtone.

Unfortuantely, being only young at the time Fitzroy played for us, I do not remember much about him at all. I searched through an old programme from 94/95, which had the headline on the front "Fitzroy fights back". It was about him regaining his place in the team. He said in an interview "Unfortunately injury and SUSPENSION has kept me out of action". But when I searched back through the season data he wasn't sent off that season, so the suspension could have been bookings. I will search later, but cannot be bothered yet and give you the info. I can scan the inteview and picture if you want btw washingtone.

~ The Green ;)ne

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for answering

The Green One said:
I saw that on the other forum, but didn't reply sorry. Cheers for answering washingtone.

Unfortuantely, being only young at the time Fitzroy played for us, I do not remember much about him at all. I searched through an old programme from 94/95, which had the headline on the front "Fitzroy fights back". It was about him regaining his place in the team. He said in an interview "Unfortunately injury and SUSPENSION has kept me out of action". But when I searched back through the season data he wasn't sent off that season, so the suspension could have been bookings. I will search later, but cannot be bothered yet and give you the info. I can scan the inteview and picture if you want btw washingtone {sic}.

~ The Green ;)ne
Great stuff, The Green One. Thanks for checking that out. I love the headline to the interview! I think it is best to give old Fitzy the benefit of the doubt and hope he has left the red mist from his past. Even if he (rightly and very) recently tried to physically attack the Dagaham and Redbridge Manager, who shouted racial abuse at him during a recent Nationwide Conference (from Hell) match...(!)

Cheers!

OH, could you possibly tell me anything about the Whitley(spelling?) Brothers who were both at Man C a couple of seasons ago? They were huge prospects ...

(don't play the Madrid and Leeds rejects and you'll be fine)

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
I found out Fitzroy's info from the 93/94 season also, when he did not get sent off there either! Amazing! Maybe Brian Horton had him on Ritalin...

Jeff Whitley was born in Zambia and of Northern Irish parents, as was Jim. Both played for Northern Ireland. Jeff Whitley was a good player, but Jim was pretty poor. Jeff was there on merit, I think Jim was there cos of his brother. Jeff played for many years for City and started most games between 97-01, before falling out with Keegan and was sold to Sunderland where he still is. Shame, I liked him and he loved city.

Jim went to wrexham on loan and I dunno where since then. I do have an interesting story about him though. The team he was playing against had an injury whilst in possession. The referee halted the game, and upon restarting he was told to kick the ball back to their keeper. Unfortunately he overpowered it (cos he was rubbish), and it went into the net! The ref disallowed the goal (illegally!) and booked Jim for it!

~ The Green ;)ne

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Poor Jim! He was probably desparate for a chance to shine.

Is Jeff (the good one) still a current international then?

Thanks for looking up the Fitzy info.
So the stats disproves the rep. Good (lie).

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Greeny. Ask any older City fans about Fitzroy Simpson and they'll tell you he was s*it. Reids replacement for Steve Mcmahon. I think he came from Portsmouth.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
I know he had a spell at portsmouth, but it was after City released him. He scored a free-kick against us the season we dropped into division 2 as we drew 2-2 thanks to Martyn Margetson (now in the wales squad!!!!) scoring an own goal :eek:

I never got to see him often, and only started attending regularly by the time he'd gone. I started going regular during Horton's era, which I really enjoyed with the infamous trio of Walsh, Beagrie and Rosler. I also liked Maurizio Gaudino who was sheer class. We should have kept him.

And washingtone Jeff is still an international for Northern Ireland (not hard though). Jim is not, however, which is surpising considering some of the players they let in.

~ The Green ;)ne

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Seeds of Misconstruction

andrewcryne said:
Greeny. Ask any older City fans about Fitzroy Simpson and they'll tell you he was s*it. Reids replacement for Steve Mcmahon. I think he came from Portsmouth.
Andy. Thanks for your contribution.

Your attempt to weed me out from this forum and present yourself as the self-installed-and-styled, monosyllabic spokesperson for any older City fans was duly noted.

I don't disagree with your horticultural musings on this former Walsall, Heart Of Midlothian,
Portsmouth, Swindon Town, Bristol City (and Manchester City) player currently plying his trade for the near bankrupt (and therefore fully grateful) Telford United.

I have no wish to unplant your expressions of the pain his past performances, for “your” club, may have caused you.

I sense, however, some curious kind of resentment on your part, if not from the contingent Man C fans you‘ve assumed to represent, that we have dedicated too much time, research, space, words and love on a player whom, you have stated as clearly as a single word can state, is not worthy of such.

This Forum has not called Simpson’s quality into question, Forum Manager. We are just giving a little love to a guy who sometimes liked to hit his opponents (and some of his team-mates).

You, dear person, have yellow-watered the wrong tree.

This Forum was planted in honour of, and curiosity towards, a player’s achievements and longevity despite his perceived limitations and an unfortunate and too frequent tendency to press that (forever deceitful yet) tempting self destruct button.

No seasoned horticulturalist would be surprised by what is borne from (the aid of the foulest) manure.

“NO THING IS not WORTHY OF NO LOVE!”

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dodgy past returns? International Bench warmer.?

The Green One said:
I started going regular during Horton's era, which I really enjoyed with the infamous trio of Walsh, Beagrie and Rosler.

And washingtone Jeff is still an international for Northern Ireland (not hard though). Jim is not, however, which is surpising considering some of the players they let in.
Walsh and Rosler I remember and liked (Do I forget who I hate?).

I should not be surprised to hear that the then balding Rosler still plays; he had a determined single mindedness about him
and knew how to make a consistent and sometimes deadly nuisance of himself, if I remember correctly.

How do yuo compare the Horton era with these present guy's at the realm?

I saw the recent Sunderland/Sheffield United game and was looking out for Jeff, but didn't see him.

He's not a first teamer then?

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
I am not sure if Uwe is still playing.He may have retired as in April last year he contracted cancer, and looked very ill the last time I seen him in November. However the cancer has been cured and he should be fine now. He says he hopes to be back to watch City again. He is currently contracted at Lillestrom in Norway btw.

I'd say nowadays the football is better. Keegan has us playing the most attractive football in the premiership apart from Arsenal IMO. No other team can pass it so fluidly and neatly. Unfortunately other teams get an end product :eek:

However, I was more confident in staying up during the Horton years, as his team had battlers and got the job done. This team under Keegan does not appear to battle, and whilst being a better team, I am more worried though than in the 90s.

BTW, I think Whitley was suspended as he normally starts. He got sent off recently.

~ The Green ;)ne

1 - 10 of 10 Posts