Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
43,417 Posts
One of the GREAT coaches of the last 30 years :depress: :depress:

:moan: :moan: :moan:

this is from www.ukrainiansoccer.net

13.05.02 ...VALERI LOBANOVSKY passed away...

Today is one of the darkest moments in the history of the Ukrainian Football.

On May 13, 20:35 pm Kyiv Time died one of the greatest world coaches, Valeri Lobanovsky.

The 63 yrs old coach felt bad after Sunday's match against Metalurh Zaporizhia and was taken to the ICU of the 5th city hospital 9.00 pm Kyiv time on Tuesday being in critical conditions.

·
Registered
43,417 Posts
IN MEMORIAM!

This is an article from Kicker published by ukrainiansoccer.net that I believe represents this great person very well ...

Rest in Peace, Valeriy Vasilyevich !!!

"November 9, 2001

The chief editor of Kicker, Karl-Heinz Heimann is an old friend of Valeri Lobanovsky.

Having read everything what is written and said about Ukraine's National Team coach and Dynamo Kyiv coach Valeri Lobanovsky these days, one could imagine a despot, who is working in old traditions.
But that is a picture painted by people who never met Lobanovsky, who don't know his work. And it is far from reality.

Lobanovsky came to Dynamo Kyiv in 1973. Next year I had an honor to get acquainted with him. Besides Hoeness Weissweiler (Borussia Moenhengladbach coach in late 70's), I had never met anyone with whom it would have been as interesting to discuss football, as it is with Lobanovsky. And our arguments were heated sometimes.

Once I wrote in one Russian newspaper, that Lobanovsky strengthens defense in expense of attack, by bringing forwards back. I made an example of Bezsonov, who was named the best forward at the Youth World Cup 1977.

We haven't spoken for a year since... Incidentally, we met again, in adjacent seats on a plane from Frankfurt to Lisbon, and after a short dispute we burried hatchets.

When he was a coach of United Arab Emirates and then of Kuwait (1991-96), he used to bring his teams every year for a week to Nurenberg. I was talking to him every day then.
I am telling you this, so you can understand why I am in a position to have an opinion about Lobanovsky.

Lobanovsky-coach is like a theatre director:
"I have to decide on the roles of players. I need to explain them how they should play those roles. What they show on the field afterwards is their business."

He uses computer as an aid for many years now. When 8 weeks ago I met him at Koncha Zaspa he was looking through fresh print-outs of analysis of the game vs Borussia Dortmund.

"Who was the main reciever of the ball in Borussia?" - asked Lobanovsky. I bet on Rosicky.
"Correct. But this is not important. He was on the 7th place by effectiveness. This is a decisive factor."

He favor "total football", every palyer should be able to perform on any position. In the mid-70's Gunther Netzer called Dynamo performance "a football of the XX century" after one of the victories by Kyiv in germany.

Dynamo often played with one nominal forward -- Oleh Blokhin. But whenever they got the ball, allthe team, except for 2-3 players was moving forward.

Mentionning Blokhin. He often complained to me that Lobanovsky is bad to him, is always unsatisfied with him. But once Blokhin told me about his intentions to become a coach. I asked Oleh -- who would be your beacon. The answer came immediately -- "Of course, Lobanovsky!"

No other team has ever achieved such an ultimate perfection in pressing, as it was done by the USSR team in the European semifinals 1988 against Italy (2:0). Then TV was showing again and again Lobanovsky, swinging on the bench, like a pendulum. Now the cameras concentrate on motionless (due to high concentration) figure...

He proved how wrong were all who predicted his failure after return to Dynamo Kyiv in 1996. They thought he can't adjust to new realities...

Whether it is a training session or personal talks with players, he is always on top. As before, the grounds of his work are laid on discipline. The players of Dynamo Kyiv know about it and they keep with it. Because they acknowledge the authority of Lobanovsky.

Karl-Heinz Heimann

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ukrainian football died with him:depress: :depress: :depress: :depress::depress:

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
My deepest condolences, I've always admired the man and seeing one of the best coaches in Eastern europe dies is a huge tragedy. :( It wasn't exactly a surprise though, as he has had a long struggle with previous illness's.

RIP. :cry:

·
Registered
25,665 Posts
He was a legendary coach and a legendary player. Rest in peace...

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
In the end, we are all mortal.

He was an amazing coach, i haven't witnessed his career as a player but i have no doubt he was a great one as well.

My sincere sympathies to his family and the Ukranian people.

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
RIp Mr. lobanovsky, one of the best and most underrated coaches in football ever :frownani:

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Valeriy is the coach who made Sheva what is he now.

:depress: :cry:

"He shaped me both as a player and as a man. He made me believe I could reach the highest level. He always told me I was a better player than Ronaldo. Maybe, he's the best coach in the world. He corrected my errors, gave me a lot of advice."

- On Valeri Lobanovsky, his mentor and former coach.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
He was a great devoted man.

:(

·
Registered
590 Posts
When a living legend dies, he's just leaving us to take his place in history, where he belongs. Lobanovsky has been a moulder of characters in his own image and has marked the European football of these last two decades in more ways than we'd think - not in the least the Romanian football, from the Supercup final against Steaua in '87, to the shaping up of players like Cernat and Ghioane.

Hats off!
R.I.P.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I really can't imagine Ukrainian soccer without this charismatic person...He will never be forgotten...

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Tuesday, May 14, 2002
Lobanovsky to be given state funeral

KIEV, May 14 (Reuters) - Dynamo Kiev coach Valery Lobanovsky, who died on Monday in eastern Ukraine after suffering a stroke, will be given a state funeral.
His body was flown to the capital Kiev on Tuesday and he will be buried on Thursday.

'A state commission has been created to stage the funeral and Ukrainian President Leonid Kuchma is expected to attend,' Dynamo spokesman Serhiy Polkhovsky told Reuters on Tuesday.

The 63-year-old coach, who had a history of poor health, was rushed to hospital in Zaporizhya last Tuesday at the end of the Ukrainian premier division match between Dynamo and Metalurg.

On Saturday, doctors said his condition had improved after he underwent surgery to relieve pressure on his brain.

Lobanovsky will go down in history as the most successful coach in Ukraine and the former Soviet Union for the past three decades.

He guided Dynamo Kiev to two European Cup Winners' Cups in 1975 and 1986 as well as five league titles between 1974 and 1981. He also led the Soviet side to the final of the 1988 European championships when they lost 2-0 to the Netherlands.

Lobanovsky moved abroad shortly after the 1990 World Cup finals in Italy, but returned to Kiev in November 1996 to begin his third coaching spell with Dynamo.

His return paid immediate dividends for the Kiev side as they won five consecutive league titles, from 1997 to 2001.

In 1999 he was appointed Ukraine coach and also guided his Kiev side to the semifinals of the Champions League.

Lobanovsky's persistent health problems over the last two years appeared to have weakened his iron grip on the national team and the club.

Earlier this year, he underwent surgery to remove a blood clot and he was also found to have an irregular heartbeat that forced him to miss a number of matches.

While Lobanovsky's place at Dynamo appeared safe until he died, he lost his Ukraine post following the 5-2 defeat to Germany in the two-legged World Cup playoff last November.

soccernet
---------------------------
RIP, Lobanovsky.. :cry:

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
I can still see him sitting there, on the bench, always wearing his hat, his face almost void of any expression.

Unreal that he's gone now... :(

1 - 20 of 27 Posts