Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi every1

I keep on wondering how much money GH has to spend on players for the new season?
last year we made 1 signin and what a crucial 1 it waz
if i were GH i would sign nuno gomes from fiorentina,they struggling financially and want to get rid of him and we need another striker so why not sign him im sure hez wages isnt that high?n plus he wont even cost us anything!?
i really think we need a playmaker like juninho waz at boro we need sum1 who can create a goal out of nothing
i never heard of this ney guy cheyrou before i wonder if hez good?

thanks for letting me have my say!!
:)

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
First, welcome to the forum!!! You'll never walk alone.

Second, you can read something about Bruno here: http://www.xtratime.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=75363

Ok... Liverpool only signed Bruno Cheyrou and I think GH is looking for a striker to replace Anelka after the deal was off.

There are rumors that these players are targeted by GH:
Nuno Gomes
Bret Emerton
Lee Bowyer
Damien Duff
Salif Diao
Rui Costa
AND MORE!!!!

Who GH will sign? I don't know but I know GH will buy the right players for Liverpool and I trust him.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Hiya ...

We have just agreed the fee for the Senegal captain, Salif Diao...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi there!!!

thanks for the info about bruno!!
i hope he ends up been a super signing!!!
i heard the other day that GH was interested in nuno gomes?
is this true???
and any news on djibril cisse? i think hel be brilliant in the premiership???
and i heard of a proposed move for freddie kanoute??
i dont think hell suite our style?
i never heard of salif diao before but i just hope hell be a success???????
wat do u guys think????

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I don't think Gomes has the quality of Cisse but I don't think he'll be signing anyway. Apparently a host of other top European clubs are more seriously interested than us.

Cisse is a great player and I really hope he signs, he's like the French MO, but I don't think he will, just yet. They are demanding £20m+ for him now, but probably £15m next year. Also he doesn't want to leave yet. He would be my first choice though. As I see it we have three options:

1. Wait for a year, bring through MB and give Litty a game more often. Then see how things hyave gone at the end of the year and then possibly buy DC.

2. Sign another striker, I.E Jermaine Defoe, Julius Aghahowa, Sydney Govou, all of whom we have been recently linked with and leave Cisse.

3. Splash the cash for Cisse now, this option would probably take up all our remaining funds and we wouldn't be able to get our hands on that elusive playmaker, or mayber GH knows better in signing Cheyrou.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Red Mist said:
Cisse is a great player and I really hope he signs, he's like the French MO, but I don't think he will, just yet. They are demanding £20m+ for him now, but probably £15m next year.

As I see it we have three options:

1. Wait for a year, bring through MB and give Litty a game more often. Then see how things hyave gone at the end of the year and then possibly buy DC.

2. Sign another striker, I.E Jermaine Defoe, Julius Aghahowa, Sydney Govou, all of whom we have been recently linked with and leave Cisse.

3. Splash the cash for Cisse now, this option would probably take up all our remaining funds and we wouldn't be able to get our hands on that elusive playmaker, or mayber GH knows better in signing Cheyrou.
What I am concerned with Cisse is if he has another explosive season next year, his value is going to go up and it will make the richer clubs more eager to sign him. Considering that not many top clubs noticed him last season and Liverpool was considered a front-runner then to now, when Liverpool is among a host of clubs interested in signing him, apparently the host of interest is not going to stop here. I have a sneaky feeling that he will not come to Anfield. Not that we can't compete financially, but we are still not as glamorous as the likes of Juventus, Real Madrid and Man U. Not yet at least.

1) With MB in the side and Anelka's departure, we still do have a roster of four forwards. Without the benefit of seeing MB in action thus far, I will have my reservations with him. The reason I have my doubts is the difference in standards between the French League and EPL and the demands of it. I hope MB does well for us though. This option seems to be as the most likely thought that GH will have.

2) WIth due respects to the above three mentioned, they are not entirely in the same mould/class as Cisse. But given GH's prudent spendings over the past few seasons and we are moving to a new stadia, GH might consider the financial constraints of the club and consider this option. Just hope that he does not have Akinbiyik in his sights.:D

3) Given Cisse does not want to move before playing CL football with Auxurre, it is not a likely option right now. Unless of course he changes his mind. This is not going to be a cheap option though.:)

paw;)

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Yeah, great point. It's true what you say about DC's price going up by next year, if he's too expensive now he'll be way out of our reach by then. So that could leave us high and dry with a season (next year) spent with only one natural goalscorer and no striker for the next year.

That leaves us with buying a striker now. Plus GH has already said he will sign a striker over the summer. I would go with Defoe at about £13m. He'll be worth double that if we don't hurry up, that or Aghahowa.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I expect DC to experience CL football with Auxerre and then move to us at Christmas when Auxerre are out. The onyl problem then is that he won't be able to take part in our CL final victory. :D

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
lskydiver said:
I expect DC to experience CL football with Auxerre and then move to us at Christmas when Auxerre are out. The onyl problem then is that he won't be able to take part in our CL final victory. :D
More importantly, we want him to play for us in the League and we will be mounting a serious charge to the top with him and Owen.:) The CL adventure, for another season, will be a distraction, though we must improve on the Q-Finals we achieved this season. This option looks good to me.:)

paw;)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Rui Costa has just recently been linked by Liverpool. Personally i don't think he will leave AC Milan and second of all Liverpool do not have that type of money to pay MIlan. Rui is a great player he would do well at Liverpool threading balls through to Owen, he also has Abel Xavier one of his compatriots which would also see him settle there well, but i just don't see him going. :eek: :D

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Being a Milan fan as well as a Liverpool fan, I am surprisingly not excited about Rui Costa coming to Liverpool. IMO, Rui did not do well for Milan, and personally, I have not seen him give good performances week in and week out for Fiorentina either. If he comes to Liverpool, he will not be guranteed a first team spot, for one thing, and secondly, we have Litty, which is a better player than Rui. Both are crafty midfielders, but Litty has more experience in Europe and to me, he is still one of the best play-maker in the world. Unless of course, GH has other ideas. Well, it seems that these days, these links are just in the imagination of bored journalists.:)

paw;)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
porto-rules said:
Liverpool do not have that type of money to pay MIlan.
We have the money, mate...

We saved 50million pounds by taking the second option of a 55k stadium...

Also the 13 million we received from fowler's sale is not used up yet ...not forgetting the small matter of us hardly touching our earnings from playing 2 seasons in Europe

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Red Mist said:
Yeah, great point. It's true what you say about DC's price going up by next year, if he's too expensive now he'll be way out of our reach by then. So that could leave us high and dry with a season (next year) spent with only one natural goalscorer and no striker for the next year.

That leaves us with buying a striker now. Plus GH has already said he will sign a striker over the summer. I would go with Defoe at about £13m. He'll be worth double that if we don't hurry up, that or Aghahowa.

Have we all forgotten about the 2 young French players that will be joining us in 2003? Anthony LeTallec's and Florian Sinama-Pongolle will be with us at the end of next season. If they are as good as they are touted and I have no doubt they are, do we really need another striker for 1 season?

We have the following group of definites for the first team squad for this coming season :

1) Michael Owen
2) Emile Heskey
3) Jari Litmanen
4) Milan Baros

Then we have youth/reserve players to make up the 5th squad space, remember striker number 5 will only play a bit part.

We have a choice of probably one of the following for spot 5:

1) Neil Mellor - Age 19 Banging the goals in for the reserves.

The son of former Manchester City player Ian Mellor, Neil is a big strong centre forward. He is exceptional in the air, works very hard and certainly knows where the goal is. He was top scorer in Liverpool's run to the FA Youth Cup semi-final last season with eight goals, forming a lethal partnership in attack with Brian McIlroy. Including his FA Youth Cup feat Mellor hit a very creditable 19 goals last campaign.

2) Daniel Sjolund - Finish U21 international Age 19

Daniel Sjölund signed in at Anfield in December 2000 as part of the deal which saw Rigobert Song move to West Ham United.

Sjölund, a Finnish under-21 international, failed to make a first team appearance at Upton Park, but Liverpool boss Gérard Houllier had been monitoring his progress for months and was delighted to bring him to Anfield.

In fact Sjölund, a boyhood Liverpool supporter, could have signed for the Reds a year ago - but only found out about Liverpool's interest after signing his contract at West Ham.

Says Sjölund: "I was playing for a first division club in Sweden when the chance to come to England came about. I went to West Ham and was impressed with the facilities there and with what they had to offer. It was a big move for me because I was so young but it was something I really wanted to do. A week or so later I found out Liverpool were also following me, but by then I had already signed for West Ham.

"I made a few reserve team appearances for West Ham but deep down I always hoped that Liverpool would keep their interest in me. I was really pleased last week when I heard details of the Rigobert Song deal and that, as part of his transfer, I had the opportunity to go to Liverpool.

"I came up here and had a look around. I spoke to the manager and he told me about the club. It was a very easy decision to make."

I think we have the players we need up front, and wouldn't be suprised if we sign nobody. That said I'd be delighted if Cisse was pursuaded to arrive.:D

Regarding our right side, I wouldn't at all be suprised to see Gerrard move out to the right and Salif Diao and Hamann as our central partnership, or maybe even the addition of Bowyer to the club for that right sided area. Regardless of his character, he is a superb player. I'm sure if he signs, GH will lay out the law to him pretty quickly.

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
We need a winger in the GIggs, Pires mould who can supply chances to the strikers! I have no idea why we are not targeting any of them?
We have been complaining about the lack of supplies from midfield all season. Surely we can buy Duff, ROmandahl, Carriere etc etc. you get my idea.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
According to GH:

Gerard, can you bring us up to date with the transfer situation?
We have agreed terms with two players and their respective clubs. They are Bruno Cheyrou of Lille, and Salif Diao of Sedan. The others will come.

How many more transfers can we expect?
At least two. I need a striker and I also need another midfielder. Don't forget we have lost Jamie Redknapp and Gary McAllister. Also, Steven Gerrard has had an operation and Danny Murphy has fractured a bone in his foot. We have to be careful.

1 midfielder and 1 striker... ;)

The Liverpool fans will be expecting a big signing now'
They won't be disappointed.

Really?
You've got to trust me.

Wow! This part really makes my heart pumping... I am guessing who will GH sign... He mentioned big signing, big signing!

So, brothers and sisters,
let us guess... :D

To be honest, I have no idea.... :D

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Now..seems like we have seen the last of Paddy Berger: From Koptalk

Liverpool midfielder Paddy Berger has been made available for transfer.

Although he has not been transfer listed, Gerard Houllier is hoping that potential buyers will come in with some firm bids around £5million for the Czech.

Dogged by recent injuries, Berger has had a miserable spell for some time and a change may benefit both parties although he will tell you he wants to remain at Anfield while the club will probably deny the speculation anyway.

Spanish champions Valencia and Turkish outfit Galatasaray have both been linked.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
paw said:
Being a Milan fan as well as a Liverpool fan, I am surprisingly not excited about Rui Costa coming to Liverpool. IMO, Rui did not do well for Milan, and personally, I have not seen him give good performances week in and week out for Fiorentina either. If he comes to Liverpool, he will not be guranteed a first team spot, for one thing, and secondly, we have Litty, which is a better player than Rui. Both are crafty midfielders, but Litty has more experience in Europe and to me, he is still one of the best play-maker in the world. Unless of course, GH has other ideas. Well, it seems that these days, these links are just in the imagination of bored journalists.:)

paw;)
Paw.. for once.. I totally disagree with you :) As a Milan & Liverpool fan (too) :D I for one would want Rui to move to Liverpool...

- This season HAS been a disappointment for Rui but I certainly would not blame him.. under Terim he started well and Milan started that weird injury craze! then Ancellotti came and screwed everything up!! Ancelotti's first statement was that he would like to transform his Juve tactics to Milan which meant a 4-4-2 style which didn't involve a playmaker.. instead he would go for two wingers and two anchor midfielders.. then when asked what about Rui.. he said currently he doesn't fit my plans.. he barely got a handful of games from then on.. so would you blame him??

- At Fiorentina.. he was explosive.. especially in the Batigol days.. But even after Batistuta left.. Rui nearly took the whole team on his shoulders.. but there's a limit to what you can do in a team that.. well is not as star studded as the big guns in Italy.. But IMO he was very consistent..

- Yes we have Litti.. but a) He's not been treated as a starter at all and b) IMO again, he's not better than Rui.. yes he has magical and magnificent touches and a wonderful football mind.. but I think Rui surpasses him in both..

The only matter left in that would be the price.. and well.. he might be too expensive for us.. but I'd certainly want to see Rui playing with us.. As for Milan.. that's another story :)

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
B*O*S*H* said:
Now..seems like we have seen the last of Paddy Berger: From Koptalk

Liverpool midfielder Paddy Berger has been made available for transfer.
Well I for one would simply welcome that.. I've never been a Berger fan anyway.. Yes.. he's spent some time with us (6 years I think).. and has had some good times.. but I simply feel he's reached his limit in what to offer the club.. This year was a huge let down for Berger.. when he played he seemed lost and clueless.. and his shooting radar has simply gone nuts.. (of course I never believed he could cross or pass).. and defensively.. the only thing he does is commit fouls!! I do wish him all the luck wherever he is.. but I do hope he is sold...

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Yeah I think Berger will go and I will miss him a bit cos of the two decent seasons he gave us. I don't think he's in GH's plans for next year though, especially with Diao and Cheyrou signed. Smicer also says he's staying and Barmby too.

I can't see Rui Costa joining for two reasons:

1. GH wouldn't spent £20m plus signing on fee and £60,000/week on a 30 year old, no matter how good he is. (He is 30 right?)

2. He wouldn't fit into our team. We tend to play a compact midfield with a flat three and Hamman just dropping off. If we signed Costa we would have to accomodate him by switching to a diamond or dropping Gerrard or Hamann, cos Rui certainly wouldn't take playing on the flanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hi there once more!!!

im really happy bout the signin of the senegalese internationals!!
i really think that el hadji will be spectecular!!
i was just wondering of the availability of joe cole he said something today bout him wanting to play in europe!
i think hel be excellent for us hes got that match winning touch and i can just picture him,gerro and hamman in that spectular midfield.how much do u guyz think hell cost us?

and what about the rumours that nick barmby is going to leave?
i really admire him and he did well for us before so i certainly would be sad for him to go?? thankzz

what do u guyz think????

1 - 20 of 59 Posts