Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 292 Posts

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Anfield

The Kop will roar on Tuesday night when Chelsea enter the lion's den in possibly the most atmospheric stadium in the world. A score draw, or win will put us through. A win for Liverpool and they go through, with a 0-0 draw taking this bout into extra time.

Key Man - Steven Gerrard

Possibly, and in my opinion the midfielder with the most ability on the planet. So strong, quick and a great eye for goal. A super box to box player like Lampard. I'd stick Maka on him as Biscan or Hamann aren't going to threaten from the middle. If we can subdue him we can use Robben, Duff, Cole and Lamps for the counters. He has been linked with us all season, and even scored a goal which won us the Carling Cup.. however he is Liverpool through and through and their el capitan so he wll give it his all.

50/50 man

Djmi Traore

This guy can be so crap it's unbelivable. In my opinion, if Duff and Robben play we can roast the life out of him. He can also make very bad mistakes (Burnley see below). However to be fair he can do well and saved Liverpool a few times, but still he can be their weak link due to his lack of footballing ability.

Key Battle!

Lampard VS Gerrard

The battle of the two England midfielders, and the two best all round box to box players in the world. Lamps has been on fire recently, and picked up two against Bolton to secure us the championship on saturday. Lamps has also been the better play this season. The advantage we have is that Gerrard will be without his new partner Xabi Alonso, so an unfit Hamann or Biscan will come into the centre.. we have Maka so hopefully Maka can do that destructive role which he did so well in the 1st leg. The person who can get past the midfield circle the most will win this battle and possibly the tie.

Come on CHELSEA!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
0-2 lampard and drogba
should be a good match as both sides will be looking to attack.

·
Registered
95 Posts
if chelsea score first they will win.

if liverpool score first, chelsea SHOULD still win, but it will be their hardest challenge yet.

away goal is far more important than home advantage, liverpool will be more nervous about conceding.

jose could have chosen to go in with fresher players than pool' by resting them v bolton, instead he has tried to create a positive mindset by winning the championship first.

chelsea 2-1 after et.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Can't see Chelsea not scoring a goal here, two games against Liverpool in a row without a goal would be unthinkable. I think it will be 1-1 and Chelsea will go through on away goals.

·
Registered
17,516 Posts
it will go 1-1 or 1-0 to either side...whoever scores first has it easy for himself..

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I'm very interested in if Chelsea can make a triple in just two years' time... I don't want to see either Milan or Liverpool. I don't mind PSV though. :D

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Is your lack of comments on the clash due simply to the fact that you consider Leg 2 a formality :undecide: ;) :undecide:

·
Winter is Coming.
8,131 Posts
quit stirring it up Diavolo ;)

it will be an early chelsea goal, with Jose telling you to hang on to 1-0
then we will mount an attack in the second half going for 2 goals.. Whether we get them or not I couldn't tell you.

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Owenization-NRG said:
quit stirring it up Diavolo ;)

it will be an early chelsea goal, with Jose telling you to hang on to 1-0
then we will mount an attack in the second half going for 2 goals.. Whether we get them or not I couldn't tell you.
Try ;)

P.S. :eek:

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
UEFA Champions League

LIVERPOOL FC Vs. CHELSEA FC
Anfield, Liverpool - ENGLAND

--- Semi-Final - Second Leg ---

-> First Leg: 0-0 draw <-

-> Tuesday (May 03, 2005) <-

-> Kick-off -> 19:45 (UK Time): ITV 1 <-

PREVIEW
=======

The first all English semi-final concludes tomorrow night in what promises to be a thrilling ending to a cagey start. Liverpool were 31 points behind Chelsea in the league when they kicked off at Stamford Bridge and yet it didn't show. It was Chelsea who came out as the nervous teams surprisingly. Terry and Lampard, both of whom have been exceptional for the side didn't have the facial expression that would represent calmness and it did reflect in their game. Gerrard looked more calm but the coolest expression of the 22 was Cech. He looked ready in every aspect and passed my personal test of composure pre-match.

There will be many sleepless souls in Merseyside and London tonight as tomorrow night's big game will be running through many people's heads. It is perfectly natural. A big game does this to you. A big game against a local rival when the whole world will be watching just multiplies that effect! :devil: Only the Liverpool and Chelsea hardcore fans will NOW understand how much pressure the Milanisti and Interisti have gone through during the two legs and especially the first EuroDerby™. I suggest drinking lots of water instead of booze to keep things in check. :) You guys (Chelsea and Pool) don't care that much whether the game is interesting or boring. You won't care if your sides score 1 or 4 goals. You would just take the victory over the local rival for a shot at European Glory in Istanbul 3 weeks from now if somebody offered it right now. :stuckup: That's what matters. That is why you are in this competition. To get your hands at the European Cup.

Tomorrow night we will have an English side preparing to play one more match in this season's competition. The other side will pack their bags and live to fight another day. It will be the most tense game played this season by either Chelsea or Liverpool as there is a lot on the line. This is not a QF where the winner gets to the semi and has to deal with another two leg tie. This is the deciding semi-final leg! It's big and it's huge and this is why the UCL is just the cream of all competition. No league game can test a player's nerves like the UCL.

Prepare for a viewing of a lifetime!

L I V E R P O O L

One of Europe's great clubs and great names reached the semi-final after 20 years of waiting. 21 years ago was the last time when Liverpool FC were European Champions in a glorious era where they won 4 Cups in a 8 year period! :shades: It was an amazing achievement to do what they did. The bar was raised so high that no other Liverpool side came close to doing that so much so that no other football side has been able to win 4 European Cups in a 8 year period since.

Rafa Benitez' unsung heroes are in the semi-final now when nobody except the Liverpudlians gave them a chance against Juventus FC in a mouth-watering QF tie. Nobody gave Liverpool a chance to walk out of Stamford Bridge with a point (except Jern Lizardhous who predicted a 1-1). :D Liverpool did that and have defied the odds for the third match in a row (Two Juve games and 1 Chelsea game). Is this a good run or do the Reds mean business? One thing is for sure that Liverpool has been a much more better side in Europe and seem to know what they are doing. They had an iffy start to their campaign and then that Olimpiakos game spurred them on. At HT they were going out and for most of the match they were going out. Gerrard and his awesome goals saved Liverpool from abomination!

In my personal opinion the game that is responsible for Liverpool being where they are is the 1-3 win in Leverkusen! Yes, Leverkusen were weakened and chasing the tie but still, you don't go on a visit and pound the opposition just like that. European competition is all about a team showing authority on its travels. IMO it is that momentum that helped Liverpool and gave them that cutting edge to have the confidence to go to the Stadio Delle Alpi and Stamford Bridge to shut up shop like they did. Had that game in the Bay Arena ended in a Liverpool defeat then the psyche would've been totally different. That game was a confidence booster in so many ways for Liverpool.

C H E L S E A

Chelsea were semi-finalists last season and they had a better coach, better coaching staff and better personnel to build on that. It has shown throughout the season with their utterly dominating display in the Premiership. It has shown in their good performances in the UCL. They didn't have a difficult group but their knock-out games have been very tough opponents. Chelsea has dispatched both Barcelona and Bayern and have had a methodical way of eliminating a side. With Barcelona they exploited the oceans of space provided and killed them on the counter attack. With Bayern they used the long ball to negate Bayern's physical midfield and take profit of their vulnerability to defend aerial balls. They've identified the opposition's weaknesses and used their strength to eliminate them. They were closely fought ties but then again when you have quality sides battling each other the likelihood of a closely fought tie will always exist.

Chelsea has done very well considering that they have not had the opportunity to field their preferred strongest 11 for a sustainable period in this competition. They won't be fielding their strongest 11 in this competition as Ferreira is out for the season and Duff + Robben are battling their injuries although both are likely to feature at some stage tomorrow night.

Mourinho has been very confident of his side beating Liverpool at Anfield. The 0-0 draw has not worried him a lot. The 0-0 draw is such a deceptive scoreline. In essence Liverpool have to score a minimum 1-0 win to qualify in regulation time. It would be the same thing had Chelsea won the game 2-1. Liverpool would still need the 1-0 to make it. Hence, it does look like Liverpool got a precious draw but on reflecting it is no different from a 2-1 defeat at the Bridge. The difference here is that Chelsea does need to score a goal to make sure of advancing and avoiding penalties. Penalties is one thing Mourinho wouldn't want. That is a given.

Probable Starting Line-Up(s)
=====================

-------------------
---> Liverpool <---
-------------------

-> 4-2-3-1

-------------------------Dudek-----------------------

---Finnan-------Carragher--------Hyppia-------Traore-

-----------------Biscan-----------Hamann------------

----------Garcia---------Gerrard--------Riise---------

--------------------------Baros----------------------

1. That's the best possible line-up Benitez can field. Losing Alonso is a big blow but it is also a blessing in disguise somewhat. I personally feel that Alonso and Gerrard don't click in the best of ways as a midfield duo. They have the potential to become a great pair in tandem but so far they haven't shown enough signs of it.

2. Liverpool will hope that they do create more chances and the finishing is on par. It would help is Cech has a bad day at the office as well. Liverpool will have to play well in this one.

3. Milan Baros has a lot riding on his shoulders as he will be the target man. The Chelsea defence is pretty good at erasing a striker so Baros has got a lot of work to do. He almost scored at the Bridge. In this game almost scoring won't count.

------------------
---> Chelsea <---
------------------

-> 4-1-2-1-2

-----------------------Cech---------------------

--Johnson----Carvalho--------Terry------Gallas--

-----------------------Makelele-------------------

----------Cole-----------------------Duff---------

-----------------------Lampard------------------

---------------Gudjohnsen-------Drogba----------

1. Drogba looked like a mess in the tunnel before the game. Not only did he look bad but he couldn't walk properly. Too much time in the freezer for you son. Now that the EPL title is won I am interested to see how much pressure is off him and how ready he looks for this game. Problem is that ITV is showing this one so don't expect too much backstage camera action. :yuck:

2. Chelsea started to concede a lot of goals recently in the UCL. Mourinho seems to have fixed that problem now by going back to the drawing board. The offensive play is lacking but the things at the back are tight again. It will take a while to get the balance back again. The defence works on co-ordination, anticipation and confidence. That little team (4 defenders, goalie and DM) within a team as I call it needs those three things to be great.

3. Chelsea will want Duff to start or possibly Robben. They missed both of them badly in the first leg. Robben won't budge after taking three back knocks in one season and justifiably so but Duff may start.

Tactics
======

---------------------------------
--- Benitez [L I V E R P O O L] ---
---------------------------------

Benitez usually works on the principle to get a draw away from home and grab the win at home. That's how he worked at Valencia and that is how he would prefer to work at Pool. Once the team starts to gel and gets fluidity he goes for the win in every game thing like the other renowned coaches.

A) I was thinking that what would be better for Liverpool. And after giving it a thought it came to my mind that if the game heads into the 80th minute and the score is still 0-0 then it will give awfully nervous times to Chelsea rather than Pool. Chelsea will be looking the more nervous as they wouldnot have got the tie wrapped up and would be facing a potentially stressing penalty shoot-out. Liverpool on the other hand would be just making it agonising for Chelsea and giving themselves a chance as Chelsea would be the more vulnerable to make a mistake because the onus would be on them to seal the tie.
B) Liverpool have won once in 7 games vs. English clubs in Europe. That is one heck of a poor record. They don't need a draw here. They need a win and by the look of thing it would be a historic win if they did do it. The flip side is that Liverpool have lost 1 out of 6 semi-finals. It is a balancing statistic.
C) Chelsea has not lost a single game in the league after taking the lead all season. However in the CL they lost to Barcelona and Bayern after taking the lead on both occasions in the Estadio Camp Nou and Olimpiastadion. If you are superstitious then Liverpool fans would not mind a Chelsea opening goal too much. :stuckup:

-------------------------------
--- Mourinho [C H E L S E A] ---
-------------------------------

The self-professed Special One was true to his word and delivered the EPL title when eye-brows were raised at his prediction. It would be damning if Chelsea went out to Liverpool who are fighting for the fourth place. Mourinho can say that he doesn't care about the result and his team will still go to London as happy guys but there will be a 100% guarantee that the celebrations on Saturday won't have that same shine if Liverpool make the final. It is a European Semi-Final and no coach wants to lose a game of such importance and stature. Least of all Mourinho who has a win it all attitude.

A) The long ball didn't work that much against Liverpool. Now that Alonso is absent he will try to go through the middle trying to take advantage of Hamann and Biscan.
B) The goal didn't arrive but then again it is not a bad result as the scoreline is deceptive. Chelsea knows that every goal counts double and for every goal they score Liverpool needs to score 1 more and it will put tremendous pressure on Liverpool if they concede the opener. Time will tell how Liverpool deals with that pressure.
C) The initial 30 mins will be important. Liverpool have come out strong in the first half hour and really rattled the opposition. Chelsea would want to survive that opening onslaught and then can start dreaming of the first ever UCL final.

KEY BATTLES
==========

Carragher Vs. Drogba

Gudjohnsen Vs. Hyppia

Hamann vs. Lampard

Luis Garcia Vs. Gallas

Gerrard Vs. Makelele

Riise Vs. Cole

KEY MEN
=======

Hamann
--------

Didi Hamann returns and what a major game he is coming at. He has been brilliant for Liverpool over the years and now he has to raise his game and deliver on the biggest game of his Liverpool career. Fate brought him here and now he needs to have a big performance to stop Lampard and make the plays.

Lampard
--------

If there is one player Mourinho can rely on to deliver then it would have to be Lampard. He has a brilliant knack for goals and the calm finishing of a predator. Lampard would also want to put the record straight with the miss he made in the first leg that was so uncustomary of him.

Hero Watch
=========

Liverpool: Gerrard, Garcia, Carragher, Alonso, Hyppia

They have delivered in one or the other games and a combined effort of the ones playing would be required.

Chelsea: Terry, Lampard, Makelele, Cech, Duff, Cole

Many good players on the pitch and many champions. They have played well as a unit and individually as well.

Prediction

What a hard one to call! :wallbang: Chelsea looked rattled when they came out at the Bridge. I don't know what was going on but they didn't look their normal self. Mourinho could've waited for the EPL title a week but he went for it at the weekend and I think the reason was to take the pressure off his team so that when they visit Anfield they walk with their chest up and head held high. I will admit that I was surprised to see Chelsea like they did in the pre-match assembly.

Liverpool know they have nothing to lose and will go for broke. But it is a game of common sense. While the need was to go gung-ho versus Juve, the same is not needed right now and instead the exact same game is required that they played at the Bridge IMO. It is risky because a late goal by Chelsea will kill off the tie while an early goal changes the complexion of the tie. But it is a chance that Liverpool have to take. The reason is that if all goes to plan and the game is a stalemate then the pressure will build on Chelsea and not Liverpool. They are expecting Liverpool to come all guns blazing. The biggest weapon in war is the element of surprise. Chelsea surprised Barcelona and Bayern with their tactics.

The KOP has to rock like it hasn't in the past 20. Non-stop for the 90, no matter what is happening on the pitch. I don't buy the theory that the crowd can't influence the game because it can. My own team's famed Curva Sud is special. The Kop is famous and it is famous for a reason.

Chelsea loves space to counter-attack. I think that Chelsea will just edge it after a nerve-wrecking game. Liverpool have to play great to win the tie. Chelsea have to play good to win this tie. Although I did state that I don't think that Chelsea would make it past the semi-finals this season but it is looking likely that they will just edge it by a whisker.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
nice one as usual, Haroon :thumbsup:

I think Robben and Cole will start, with Duff not being 100% yet? Robben might be more injured than Duff but I dont see news saying either way.

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Haroon said:
[There will be many sleepless souls in Merseyside and London tonight as tomorrow night's big game will be running through many people's heads. It is perfectly natural. A big game does this to you. A big game against a local rival when the whole world will be watching just multiplies that effect! :devil: Only the Liverpool and Chelsea hardcore fans will NOW understand how much pressure the Milanisti and Interisti have gone through during the two legs and especially the first EuroDerby™. I suggest drinking lots of water instead of booze to keep things in check. :) You guys (Chelsea and Pool) don't care that much whether the game is interesting or boring. You won't care if your sides score 1 or 4 goals. You would just take the victory over the local rival for a shot at European Glory in Istanbul 3 weeks from now if somebody offered it right now. :stuckup: That's what matters. That is why you are in this competition. To get your hands at the European Cup.
Great post Haroon :shades:

1 - 20 of 292 Posts