Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
mm! If we play with the same spirit as last match against Man Utd , then we can win easily.
Gerrard is the key for us as usual. I hope Kewell to perform well and the boy wonder to score.
All in all , we NEED the 3 pts otherwise our CL football will evaporates.

Greets,

D

·
0 Posts
you'd be better off worrying about the relegation dogfight you'll be facing next season when Rooney is at Manure and Graveson is gone as well.

So much for the bluenoses being a club "on the up"

D

·
0 Posts
Regarding that link,

All it shows it that Houllier is still refusing to take ANY blame for what's happening at Liverpool. When we do well, it's all down to him, when we do badly, it's everyones fault except his. The man is a muppet.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Well I would never say it's an easy win on paper..
After the set backs of the Charlton and Fulham games.. I'm not taking anything for granted.. and I don't think the team should either..

I'd prefer if the same side that beat the Mancs remain with Finnan replaced by a striker.. although I'm not over the moon with Murphy's performance.. but his spot kick gave us the 3 points.. It would be cruel to drop him.. If I'm not mistaken.. Biscan wasn't even on as a sub in the Man U game.. so I hope GH has come to terms with the fact that Henchoz and Hyypia should be our centre backs..

I do expect the side to be a lot more adventerous than at OT.. But basically returning to 4-4-2 should make that as a default.. If it was me, I'd want Baros back in the side.. And Smicer given a run somewhere through the game..

D

·
0 Posts
_Eight_Ball_ said:
And I am really sure Liverpool are on the up when you never hear the end of the whinging on 6-0-6 :rollani:
we are 4th, you are in the bottom 6 or 7.

D

·
0 Posts
Manure spent more on Rio, Veron and RVN(2 Failures and the other will be in Madrid next season than we have in 4 seasons.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Doc_Rule said:
Manure spent more on Rio, Veron and RVN(2 Failures and the other will be in Madrid next season than we have in 4 seasons.
err.. I'm not debating that Man U spend more than us.. but other than the Rio missing the test fiasco.. I think he's done really well at Man U.. a team that was leaking goals with a very cracked up defence was able to be the best if not second best defence last year after signing him.. so end result.. Rio did make a difference..

RVN.. well it's debatable if he'd live.. u might think he will.. but it's not a fact till it happens.. and I don't think any 2 would debate he's been a success..

That's my 2c anyway :)

Back to us.. well Diouf and Heskey would be our major hiccups in the market.. and they are our two record signings.. BUT, we're way behind United in the spending area.. it's as incomparable as Liverpool's spending vs Everton's.. :stuckup:

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Just been looking at the fixtures for the upcoming week and, with Newcastle's loss yesterday, it is now more than ever in our own hands.

The ideal situation for us is three points today and another three points from the tea-time kick-off next weekend away at Birmingham. That would give us a six-point cushion over Newcastle, who would be going into their game against Wolves a week today exhausted.

The other threat are Villa and we must get the six points from these two games otherwise we're just inviting them to overtake us. Hoping we do win both games, with a bit of luck Villa will drop points in one of their two equivalent games (Spurs (H) & Soton (A)), and that would effectively rule them out of the race with a three point lead and superior GD with just one game remaining. Newcastle's away record is simply awful and judging from the form they've shown all season and Soton's good home form it's not unreasonable to suggest they'll drop points there; that would leave us only needing a draw at home on the final day of the season to secure 4th spot.

There's a load of waffle for you, but my point is that with the fixtures they way they are and Newcastle's result yesterday, six points from the next six days would see us going over the horizon away from Villa and Newcastle.

Probable XI for today:

GK: Dudek

DL: Riise
DC: Hyypia
DC: Henchoz
DR: Carragher

ML: Kewell
MC: Hamann
MC: Gerrard
MR: Murphy

FC: Heskey
FC: Owen

Today will be a good test for us. Boro are depleted with injuries and are going to come and defend in all likelihood. These are the exact kind of games that, all too often, we have lost or drawn at Anfield this season. I think we will be able to break them down and score, but patience maybe the key.

C'MON YOU RED BOYS! :fero:

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
With Newcastle's loss.. I think we should step things up and grab the opportunity.. I'm starting to fear Villa's run too.. as they've had an excellent run since the Christmas break..

Boro have the knack of turning games into a snore game.. we have been blessed with the same gift too.. so I do have the doubt that an end of season decider for us will turn into a bore with us trying to penetrate (by passing the ball side ways) and boro happy sitting back and getting a point..

Both teams have had topsy turvy results lately.. so it's hard to predict.. I'm being optimistic and expecting a 3-1 win.. :fero:

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
from BBC:

Houllier in confident mood

Liverpool manager Gerard Houllier is convinced his team are in the mood to snatch a Champions League spot.
The win at Manchester United kept Liverpool in the crucial fourth place.

And Houllier said: "We have three games remaining. It is neck and neck and very exciting. We have had such a tough season with what has been happening.

"The boys know that and I do not think they will now miss their chance for fourth. I was confident before we beat Manchester United, and more so now."

Houllier said: "It is difficult to say what we still have to do, probably win all three games.

"After Newcastle beat Chelsea, our victory earlier at United probably kept us in the race, now with that mental strength we will have the confidence to get through this.

"We had a team meeting before United, not just for that game but for the whole run in. They have responded in a fantastic way to what I said.

"No matter what people think, finishing fourth and reaching the Champions League will be a massive achievement considering all our problems of the season.

"It would be a reward for the players and a great joy for the fans who have suffered with us this season. We are here to make people happy.

"We have missed the opportunity to break away and claim fourth spot.

"If we'd had all our top players fit all the time, we would have challenged for second and third spot, not just fourth.

"It would have been like it was two years ago when Arsenal were top and we were second, the gap then was not very much. That is what I feel we are capable of."

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
As it stand so far with Villa winning they are in 4th place and we are in 5th and they are a point in front of us.

So now a win is a must.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
@ 63 minutes.. Liverpool 2 Boro 0

Murphy from the spot..
Heskey from an excellent team move..

We're coasting.. playing really well.. and lots of the lads who've been let downs are really playing well..

2 subs brought on at HT for injured players
Heskey for Smicer
Finnan for Henchoz (Carra moved to central defence)

The first 10 minutes were simply superb with Boro barely being able to catch a breath.. it was repeated in the 2nd half.. and for once.. we haven't gone to sleep after we've scored! We've had a goal disallowed (a flying Kewell header) and Owen hit the post too!

If only we could've played like this more often!

Excellent performance :thumbsup:

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
83 mins.. still 2-0..

Seems the lads have settled for 2-0.. although Kewell had an excellent shot saved..

Boro have made 3 substitutions bringing in Nemeth, Downing and Ricketts.. have made a few good moves.. but that's about it..

Really amazing how our fate could be in Man U's hands as they play Villa on the closing day of the season.. at Villa Park.. wouldn't hold my breath on that score line!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts