Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Liverpool to leave Anfield for £60m super-stadium

Liverpool have announced that they are to leave Anfield and build a new 55,000 capacity stadium on nearby Stanley Park, after original plans to build a 70,000 stadium at a cost of £120 million were deemed too expensive.

The new plans will cost between £60-70 million to implement, and should be ready for the beginning of the 2005-06 season.

Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry revealed that the club had decided to opt for the less expensive option to make sure transfer funds were unaffected by the stradium development.

"What we don't want to do, and what we won't ever do, is lose the focus that the team comes first," he said. "We always want to ensure revenue is available for the manager to strengthen his squad.

"That is one reason why we haven't pressed ahead with our original plan for a 70,000-seater stadia. We don't want to have a huge financial millstone hanging around our necks.

"There is still a lot of work to do though and a number of obstacles to overcome yet. It will take time but I hope all of the fans are excited by what they can see.

"Now that we have settled on this as our preferred option, we have to take the plans into the local community. This is a very important part of the process.

"We have worked closely with the local residents so far and that will continue," Parry told Liverpool's official website.

Liverpool have played at Anfield since 1892, when previous tenants Everton moved out after a rent dispute, but decided to leave the famous stadium rather than redevelop it due to concerns about planning permission.

www.umbro.com

·
Registered
516 Posts
Its sad because Anfield is such a good stadium with a great history. But of course its the fans that create the atmosphere. I think the move will be good financially and for the future. Bigger attendences will mean more money - better set up, more youth players hopefully etc. Stanley Park also has the advantage of offering better chances of expansion unlike Anfield which is surrounded by cramped streets and housing.

I know it will be sad and as i'm not a regular Anfield goer i won't feel the full effect, but i think its for the good.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
so what is it going to called?

ok i'll go for SUPER ANFIELD!

how about you guys?

maybe Mr Perry might drop by to pick up some of our suggestions!:D

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
That's great news about it being called Anfield. I mean how crap would Stanley Park sound?!?

I'm glad we're going to a new stadium and if it's anything like the artist's impression of it it will be amazing. The only thing I'm dissapointed with is that we have to leave Anfield for stadium just 10,000 seats bigger. Anfield is a legacy and if we had to leave it I'd rather it were for a 65,000/ 70,000 seater, but as Rick Parry said we'll have transfer funds available now which is the most important thing I guess.

Finally, hopefully now the city of Liverpool can start to lose it's bad reputation for crime, poverty etc, and with two magnificent football stadiums, things may start to look brighter.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Arthro Enas said:
The stadium will still be named

ANFIELD

It means that we can bring along the famous sign "This is Anfield"

Just imagine...It could have been "This is Stanley Park"....Yucks..

·
Registered
29 Posts
It was a huge relief to hear that Parry said they are thinking about expanding it in the near future.
At 55,000 we're the laughing stock of East Lancashire.

For me, there's only one Anfield. I'd have preferred for the name to be a variation. Something like Anfield ArenA or New Anfield would have been better.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Nah think that Anfield is just fine... I mean I don't think that the New Den has worked that well as a name...

It is a sad yet inevitable move I think... there was no way that we could expand the current stadium but I am glad that they have not stunted Gh's funds...

I mean this means that he has £50 million to spend on players... now you're talking:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts