Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So guys, it's official, we've got Barmby. I'm sick of the players we bought this summer... McAllister, Diomede, Arphexad, Barmby... but no matter what, like I always said, once they put on a Liverpool shirt, I will back them all the way.

Come on you Reds!

Everton have finally accepted a £6m bid from Liverpool for contract rebel Nick Barmby. Barmby, who supports Liverpool since he was a kid, has publicly told the press that he wants to play for Liverpool once he realised Gerard Houllier's intention to sign him.

Negotiations have been going on, but Everton have rejected an initial bid of £3.5m. After much speculation about the transfer fee that Liverpool will cough up for a second bid, it has now been confirmed that Barmby will join the Reds for £6m.

A statement issued by Everton said: "Everton and Liverpool have today agreed the transfer of Nick Barmby to Liverpool in a package worth up to £6m. The clubs wish to emphasise that negotiations have continued over the past week in a spirit of goodwill and integrity, and they both wish each other success in the forthcoming season."

[Edited by LFCNet on 15-07-2000 at 04:57]

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Mmmm... interesting signing...
How many mid-fielders do we have now?
What's GH intention?
Anyway, I am happy because this shows Liverpool wants to challenge the title.... Yeh~

:p:

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hopefully Barmby can nick some goals for us from midfield. The idea seems very clear - we've signed two seasoned Premiership midfielder (McAllister and Barmby) who have proven goal-scoring record.

Do u know how many points Barmby brought me in the Fantasy Football last season :D

S

·
0 Posts
As I said earlier, i don't rate Barmby as a player. It saddens me we're resorting to players like McAllister and Barmby to deliver the goods. They will be totally found out in Europe.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I think you are underestimating things

1: Intersesting use of the word 'buy' - Babbel, Macallister and Arphexad were all free. We only bought Barmby and Diomede and the left back when he comes.

2: Macallister scored more goals for Coventry last year than any of Liverpools midfield players.

3: Barmby can play anywhere in midfield - left, right or centre - good cover and not a bad player either.

4: Diomede has fallen from grace with the French national squad - however he still has a world cup winners medal and if he is going to revive his career it will be with Houllier. He is also a left winger - something Liverpool has lacked.

5: Macallister is an intelligent guy - his experience can only improve the inexperienced midfield players.

6: Rednapp is out till next year and possibly will never don a Liverpool shirt again.

7: We are not in the Champions league.

Have patience people - Liverpool are rebuilding which takes time - You cannot expect to have everything after only one season. Wait to see what happens - you're happy with Houllier so far aren't you?. Now that the new season is about to start lets get behind them and start supporting LFC.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
My problem is that I dont want to see anyone good to leave from the current squad.Houllier fancies Barmby? fine,sign him but dont get McAllister.Personally I think that McAllister was not needed.The only things which can bring is one year and the sale of Thommo.This year we should sign Babbel,Arphexad,Barmby,Diomede and a left back.Enough.Non else.McAllister cause over confusion and he is old.

Westervled
(Arphexad)

Babbel - Hyppia - Henchoz - New Left Back
(Heggem) (Song) (Carragher) (Matteo)

Thompson - Gerrard - Berger - Barmby
(Smicer) (Hamann) (Redknapp) (Diomede)

Heskey - Owen
(Camara) (Fowler)

Here you,buy a left back and dont sign McAllister.Do you think they see him as a short-time replacement for Redders till he recovers?

Also I dont want to hear bull**** about Redknapp leaving.First of all noone will buy him at this situation and secondly if he recovers he is a must for Liverpool.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
And we also have Danny Murphy so now i'm completely upset we signed McAllister!

What was Houllier thinking...if Thommo or Danny boy leave I'll fly to Anfield and kick his head! what use can a 37 year old boldie can have in a team with ambitions? argggghhhhh! :mad:

·
Registered
441 Posts
But Macallister was free - How can it be bad to get someone for free?

Yes he may be cover for Rednapp although I think Macallister is perfectly capable for challening for a place. I think you'll be surprised about him - I don't think Rednapp will be sold, but I have a feeling his career may be over. Therefore you need someone to cover.

As for Murphy - Competition will only make him play better and if he can't handle it then he isn't good enough.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Overall I think you are not giving Macallister a chance. See him play for us and then make your judgements. That 37 year old scored more goals than any LFC midfielder last season and he was playing for Coventry.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
I dont want to give him a chance if that means a good young player like Murphy or Thompson must move...so what if he plays well? lets say that he wins the FIFA player of the year award,so what? next year he'll stop football and thats it.Wow! what a great move!

McAllister OUT! :mad:

See my plan,there is no space for both McAllister and Murphy.YOU give Danny boy a chance! because Murphy had evetything but chances with Liverpool.With Redknapp out for a long time it was his time,and we bring in a 37 year old midfielder who will possibly cut his way to the line up because he is obviusly Houllier's favorite.

A big club doesnt sign McAllisters.It gives chances to Muprhys.

And we STILL havent signed a new left back and we STILL have Stan and Friedel in our team.I dont like what I see...:(

You know very well that I'm not an all time whiner but when I see something I dont like,I say it.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
After 10 years watching Man U and Arsenal winning everything I've had enough of giving the likes of Murphy and whoever some time to get their act together. How many more seasons do we want to rebuild??? I've had enough . I want to challenge for the title THIS season. McAllister will help us do that. A short term signing? You bet and why not. Murphy's been at Liverpool long enough now. We have'nt won anything with these lads and you want to keep giving them more chances??? I can't wait to see how McAllister gets on in the red jersey.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
I do not want to give Murphy a starting role,but play him as sub.Danny boy has been playinbg very well whenever he plays.

If you want to compete the like of Arsenal and Man Utd we wouldnt sign McAllister,we would sign Lambard or someone like him!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No offence, M, but I do want to respond to your claims on 'how can it be bad to get someone for free'. You only have to look at Bjorn Kvarme to see how bad it can be to sign someone for free.

McAllister has scored more goals not only than any Liverpool midfielder, in fact, he scored more goals than the entire Liverpool midfield add together. I agree he's a good player but it really saddens me that when the likes of Man Utd Arsenal are signing world class players like Barthez and Pires, we have to buy a has-been (McAllisrer), a one tournament wonder (Diomede) and one who has played for the blue noses (Barmby).

I agree with your points on their plus points. But I'd rather see some 'current' world stars rather than journeymen at Liverpool.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yeah I agree with you LFCNet. But the fact is that we aren't in the Champions league - Arsenal and Man U are (I think Westerveld is better than Barthez anyway). It is difficult to convince players to come to us when they can go elsewhere and be in the champions league. Our aim this season has to be just that and it is an aim I think we are capable of. Yes it would be nice to challange for the title etc, but Rome wasn't built in a day as they say. Give it time - from what I see we are beginning to have a strong team which has depth (except for the left back). Sure it isn't good enough to lift the Champions cup, but its a good start. And that ,whatever all of you think, is exactly what we are doing - starting.

Ps - I still dont see how a free player can be bad, especially when he scores more goals than the entire Liverpool midfield.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, point taken. As I said no matter what I'll back them once they put on a red shirt and that's exactly what I'll do, and what I've been doing since 1987. Pity me for backing players Leonhardsen, Speedie, Saunders, etc... seen too much mediocricy.

Regards.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Nicky Tanner and Glen Hysen were 2 of the worst, and how can anyone forget the legendary Torben Pieknik!!!!

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
McAteer was an extremely poor passer of the ball though Ammo. I thought he was a liability, and if poor Rob Jones hadn't had the serious injury, McAteer would never have even got into the Liverpool side. He was at best a very average player, kind of like Ben Thatcher.
I know I'd rather have the players we have on the right side now than McAteer!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts