·
Winter is Coming.
8,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From ESPN
-------------------------------------------------

Liverpool v Charlton: Preview

PA

Alan Curbishley will aim to heap more pressure on Gerard Houllier - but insists the Liverpool boss can only be judged at the end of the season.

Curbishley takes Charlton to Anfield attempting to secure the victory which will revive their traditional end-of-season slump.

The Addicks were held to a 1-1 draw by Portsmouth at The Valley on Saturday to take their first point in three games.

That disappointing sequence - allied to a terrible February - have again seen Charlton fans' dreams of Europe fade.

For Liverpool, continental action is not so much a dream but an essential ingredient in the club.

Houllier, weighed down by the need to live up to the all-conquering glory days in the 1980s, has found his position under increasing scrutiny this term.

And many pundits predict failure to edge out Newcastle for fourth place - the final Champions League spot - could be the straw that breaks the camel's back and herald the end of Houllier.

But Curbishley has defended the man who will be his opposite number on Merseyside and said: "Liverpool and Newcastle feel they should be challenging Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester United - and perhaps the gap shouldn't be as big as it is," he said.

"You have to judge managers at the end of the season as it's where you end up that counts.

"Houllier's been saying Liverpool have cup finals all over the place - starting this weekend.

"And the pressure on them and Newcastle is not the same as the pressure us and other clubs are under for a European place, although that's not to say we don't want it as much as they do."

Curbishley will ring the changes again for the clash with Houllier's team.

Regular strikeforce Paolo di Canio and Carlton Cole were axed on Saturday in favour of Shaun Bartlett and Jonatan Johansson - and Curbishley has promised to shake things up again.

Chris Perry is battling a toe injury while fellow defenders Richard Rufus and Gary Rowett (both knee), Mark Fish (chest) and midfielder Graham Stuart (back) are out.

Liverpool boss Gerard Houllier seems unlikely to be planning any major changes for the home game with Charlton, despite Good Friday's mauling by leaders Arsenal at Highbury.

With Chris Kirkland (broken wrist), Steve Finnan (shoulder) and Anthony Le Tallec still out - the French youngster is expected to start training again next week after an ankle injury - Houllier will have the same squad for a match Liverpool must win to maintain their challenge for fourth spot.

Danny Murphy could come into contention in midfield while Vladimir Smicer, fit again after an Achilles injury, is likely to be added to the bench.

Houllier admits the 4-2 reverse against the champions-elect on Good Friday hit his side hard but insisted: "There's no point in looking backwards now. This was difficult for us as you don't like to be outplayed at times but now we've got six games left to play to finish fourth."

·
nomad
5,597 Posts
We must win this game (as for the last 32 games of this season :rolleyes: ), Newcastle's draw with Arsenal makes them level on points with us, but thankfully we have a 1 goal that makes us above them on goal difference
(4 Liverpool 32 13 49
5 Newcastle 32 12 49 ) :)

as for Charlton, I saw bits of the last game at the Valley, I think it finished 3-2 for the Addicks :depress: , that Kevin Lisbie scoring a hat-trick :groan:

I predict a hard-earned 2-1 win for us :):strong:

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
1-0 to Charlton, Bartlet has given the Addicks the lead with a header after a corner, and we just missed a huge opporunity to equalise...

The usual Liverpool stuff this season :)

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
Villa is at 3-1 against Chelsea :(

Come on you Reds!

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
Gosh last 10 mins now

*pressing the refresh button*

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
No telecast here but I can guess

Charlton are pulling everyoneback into defence and we are trying (very badly) to break is down.

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
Shit, you have had about 5 times more shots than them and its still 1-0 to them. Now that Villa won and Charlton are winning we can't go 6th today. :(

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
First win for Charlton at Anfield in 50 years, crowd is booing.

Gerard Houllier - Do us all a big favour, and just leave. This job isn't for you.

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
Feck
Full Time

0-1 (Charlton)

We lost the initiative.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Good performance though.

I'm sure I saw a shot on target at some stage.

Stay positive.

Mr Houllier is proud of the lads and so am I. It was an excellent performance, and but for a few refereeing decisions you deserved something out of the game.

;) :howler:

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
Not to worry SDD...Thanks for the support. Good luck in the CL semis and in keeping #1 in the league, you'll need it.

Yours truly,
Costinha

;)

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
ouch, when Sir bobby stated a last week that newcastle still have to play arsenal & chelsea - I thought you really had a good chance, but this result really adds on the pressure with charlton back in the race.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts