Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a Liverpool fan, and sick to death of the beautification of Steven Gerrard. Having watched most home games for the last eight years, he is a very impressive player, no doubt, but he's not that good...yet.

This is a typical example of the press in this country picking up on a promising English player and over-hyping them beyond all reasonable levels. How many of the 'next Michael Owens' or the 'next Robbie Fowlers' came out of Goodison - Branch, Jeffers, Cadamarteri, etc.? Finally they got it right with Rooney, but only after five or six failed sightings of similar 'talents'.

Take the Villa game for example. All the papers I read nearly wet themselves at Gerrard's 'massive' performance, and made him Man Of The Match AGAIN. It was only today's paper (Independent) that pointed out that he was actually quite average, and that a 19-year-old Villa rookie kept him in check - maybe HE will be the next Gerrard?

The main problem is this - if he was so good, why did he fluff so many goal chances - three or four according to this morning's report? Scholes and Lampard are similar players, more so now that the 'dynamic and versatile' Gerrard is playing off the lone striker.

Scholes has four in three games and been consistently impressive for ten years, Lampard has been scoring consistently this season, and Gerrard has scored F**K ALL recently.

They are great players, Gerrard is all bustle and no result (fur coat, no knickers, etc., etc.). Liverpool actually have fewer wins without him in the team then when he plays - a FACT, so much for all the 'cavalier, swashbuckling' bo**ocks. Like little Michael Owen, Gerrard's biggest fault is that he believes the drivel the press churn out. However, think smoke and mirrors and you are closer to the truth.

And like little Michael, bless him and his saintly ways, Gerrard will screw Liverpool and f**k off, like other 'favourites' - McManaman being a prime example. Take the money and run, and invest in good players. Benitez has bought well - no-one can claim his signings have not played well, and he has got the best out of previous failures like Biscan, Traore and even Diao. Take £30 million from someone, and buy a better squad.

Gerrard: will he be kissing Chelsea's or Real's badge when they up his wages and he whores himself to 'greater ambition' and his 'England career'? What an insult to the remaining players at Liverpool - a bit like the players who Rooney left at Everton, who now are better off without him and sit above him in the table.

And Gerrard's hype and over-rated status as 'The Best Player In The World Ever, Even Better Than That Pele Bloke', is summed up by two things:

- Last season, he was s**t until Christmas, getting himself ready for a nice end-of-season move, by any chance? The only benefit to Liverpool this season is that he will have to put himself in the shop window to get a move to his beloved Chelsea, Real or his beloved whoever-will-pay-him-£100k-a-week.

- He is English. There is a history of English players being over-hyped while others get over-looked - Ronnie Wheelan and Ray Houghton were wonderful players, and they lived in the shadow of the less wonderful but equally-lauded McMahon at Liverpool, for example. Gerrard is English, and England Expects, so he must be wonderful. My arse - England will win NOTHING until they get rid of the prima donna clique (Beckham, Owen, Gerrard, Dot Cotton) and get a realistic assessment of their limited abilities.

How must the rest of the team feel when they read about this one-man show? Hyypia is rubbish then, is he? Or Carragher (Liverpool's best player by a mile, forget Gerrard). Or Alonso, or any of them (except Kewell, he IS sh*t). Gerrard is all smoke and mirrors, and while he will be a good player one day, we don't live or die by him.

Liverpool will replace him - in Alonso, they probably already have. Even Biscan plays well now, for f**k's sake! And they look like a team, not with that over-hyped tw*t running round believing his own hype. This sort of glorification of the individual was probably why Liverpool struggled so much towards the end of Toulouse Le Plot's defensive rearguard.

The bottom line is this: Gerrard will continue to bi*ch and moan about things at Anfield. No player should be indulged as he is - tell him to f**k off, take the £30m - we have the much better Xabi Alonso, anyway, and we can buy more players - Wright-Philips would do the job, with Hamman and Alonso in the middle. Gerrard will moan about the board, the possible change of regime and on and on and on until he uses this to justify that he is 'unhappy' at Anfield. His future rumblings in this direction will be a prelude to his departure, and I for one won't miss his self-aggrandising, flatulent posturing and underachieving performances.

Take the money and run, Benitez will use it wisely.

from football 365

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
ONe of the most ridiculous articles I've ever read!! either the author was drunk or he's a bluenose in disguise!! maybe both..

Oh and Lampard hasn't been scoring for fun.. plus he's been one of the only players in the Chelsea players who have played more than 80% of the Chelsea's games.. and has the HIGHEST shots.. not just in comparison with Gerrard.. but with all the other Premiership PLAYERS.. comparing him to Stevie who scored 3 goals till now.. and has been out for six weeks.. is insanity..

Sorry.. I want Stevie to stay.. as long as possible.. his effect on the side is positive.. and I hope he prefers us over the blue money that's being offered.. and I feel he will prefer us!! :proud: :fero:

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
He is the only most precious thing Liverpool have now. Any thought of releasing him would be bad idea.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Zhuge Liang said:
He is the only most precious thing Liverpool have now. Any thought of releasing him would be bad idea.
Well I agree the post is utter crap..

But I disagree to the above.. Yes, currently Gerrard is our BEST player.. at least his commitment and heart (in addition to his quality) propel him to that level.. but he's not our only precious player.. if that was so.. we would've lost all our games with him not in our side..

To me, Baros and Xabi are very important.. and the most important 'thing' at the moment at Liverpool.. is Rafa Benitez.. :thmbup:

·
Registered
170 Posts
the most important thing at lfc is lfc. any player who thinks different needs shot and sold, in that order.

-p

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
what's the buzz, fellas? as long as StevieG wants to go places and win tropheys WITH Liverpool i want him to stay. That's what we need - world class players showing hunger for tropheys. It's those who don't care that much as long as they get their fat paycheck or think it's an achievable dream I want THEM out!!!

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Lampard has scored 4 goals from 54 shots this season, an absolutely appalling waste of good possession just outside the area i think it's fair to say.

we were just having a laugh about it in the Arsenal forum, the guy shoots every time he sees the goals even if his teammates are in good positions.

I think the geezer is pissed , Ray Houghton was never a wonderful player , he was a steady eddie, all of that midfield was overshadowed by Jonny Barnes not McMahon.

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
One thing that annoys me about Gerrard well not Gerrard more the fans, is the way he always gets voted man of the match in them little polls they have on .tv.

Take last night for example appart from the goal Gerrard was nothing spectacular, Pongo was my MOTM- some fans need to watch the match oppose to riding Gerrard cock and rising his ego.

Also just because Kirkland is English everyone presumes he's a great keeper he was poor again last night, Dudek should be in net IMO.

Sorry to be negative lol and yeah that article is pretty much complete crap

1 - 14 of 14 Posts