Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This season we matched United for points for over 2/3rds of the season, making a mess of the start and the end of what would otherwise have been a remarkable season.

We were without Fowler, Owen, Redknapp & Smicer for significantly long periods. Also the main part of our "goal machine".

We have the best defence in the country. New players have had time to settle and are used to the premiership.

We have also got Babbel to come and it looks like McAllister and Arpexhad too.

We have Traore, Kippe, Miles, Partridge, etc. to come from the reserves/youth system.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Hi and welcome. Nice to see another pool fan.

I don't know if we need a major signing but it would be nice. The fact is that we are not sure of what Smicer can do in the pool shirt and IMO we need a back up for him.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I agree with you - we don't need a major signing. Infact I think a big name might actually do us damage as we would inevitably base the team around him. We do however need a squad...

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
I agree a major signing is probably not neded, but as pool said it would be nice. What is needed is people to challenge the likes of Matteo and Berger in the squad. Matteo is very much first choice, mainly because the other choices are just not up to it or are not quite ready for the premiership (Traore?)! Same applies to Berger, we have a lack of left sided players who are good enough.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Of course Liverpool need major signings. Especially in midfield. It's too easy to blame the strikers for the lack of goals. To be honest, they didn't get necessary support from the midfield either. Neither did they recieve enough quality crosses from the sides. It has not been easy to play up front for Liverpool in this season.

Hamann has played well in his defensive midfield role and Gerrard has been excellent all season for what you can expect from a player of his age. He will develop even more next season. But we do need that quality offensive midfielder with vision and skill. A man who can deliver the killer passes to the players up front.

Jamie Redknapp's time is up. For 10 years we have waited for his break-through. He struggles with injuries every season. It's time to let him go or at least to find his replacement. He is averaging about 3 goals a season for Liverpool since his arrival in 1990 and that simply isn't enough for a midfielder. Houllier himself said he was disappointed with the shortage of goals the midfield has contributed with.

I now heard it's official. Gary McAllister will sign for Pool on July 1st. I think he can be a nice addition to the squad. After all, we can't expect the superstars to sign for us when we can't offer Champions League football next year.

------------------
Webmaster
http://worldcup.socceralliance.com

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well who would mind having a big name signing coming to anfield?? :D not me!

the only thing we can improve in our defence is having a left-back competiting for matteo...and since babb,staunton,bjornebye should leave..we'll have no real back-up there..

left midfield we only have berger..and unless Gh brings in partridge into the squad ..we should be ok..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts