Xtratime Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you feel bad for this team which has so much history. Will they ever win the league again in this lifetime? To throw away a lead like this so early in the season :cry:

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
They'll win it in the next 10 years, I'm sure. The question is, will they win it under Benitez? This season I would say they've definitely lost momentum. I watched part of the Wigan game today and they looked far from champions. I think in order to get themselves together in terms of the title race Torres needs to re-discover his form.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
They have not got enough world class players. Torres, Mashcerano, Gerrard. I like thay guy Skrtel too. Carragher gives good service to the club, but always seemed overrated to me. Gerrard also is a utility player who cannot win a league on his own. Mascherano is world class in his position, but a world class DM can't win you a league. If Torres is not in good form, Liverpool will struggle to finish within top 3. I am not forecasting whether they'll win it or not, but on paper both United & Chelsea are much better teams & United play much better football. In fact, I can't recall when I last saw Liverpool play great football consistently. First there was Houllier & then there came Benitez. In fact Houiller's team had more world class players : Hyypia, Babbel, Hamann, Owen, Litmanen etc.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Chokers? Nah, Gerrard, Torres, Carragher, Mascherano, Riera, Skrtel, Keane, Kuyt, Alonso etc don't strike me as people who are mentally weak who can't handle a bit pressure. Plenty of the squad have been captains of their national teams or other clubs so it's not an inexperienced squad who would choke in January nevermind May, when the pressure has been really on with everything on the line over two legs in the Champions League the team hasn't bottled it often.

It's a mixture of Benitez being too cautious settling for draws with weaker teams that Man Utd usually steamroll through comfortably by just attacking them for 90 minutes (though United do have superior attacking players) and the wide areas are not good enough to win the league, which is down to the players Benitez has bought and his substitutions haven't really helped in recent games trying to defend leads then conceding late on. The team was lucky to get itself into such a good position early on. Liverpool are one of the hardest teams to beat under Benitez which is good in Europe over a two leg format with away goals and drawing can be often seen as a good result but in a league format we just draw too many games to win it under him. Drawing at home to Stoke, Hull, West Ham, Fulham and Everton is a big disadvantage throwing those kind of points away consistently.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
League is not over yet, wouldnt call them chokers as it was never their league to lose.

Benitez tactics havent changed since the start of the season so thats a cop out answer. The pressure has been on them since they were cruising at the top and they were due a bad run. And some of the luck they were getting early on in the season (ref decisions, late goals etc) has left them.

·
Banned
564 Posts
it's like a few seasons ago, when Wigan were top for abit, nobody actually believes they'd have won it....

·
Registered
12,028 Posts
a team with a lot of the players that can take the most important game of their lives (by luck) in 5 minutes cannot be a choking machine.

the most important thing is that they establish themselves this year as contenders, and they will start winning in england soon enough.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
they won the champions league. so the answer is a definite no.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Chokers? Nah, Gerrard, Torres, Carragher, Mascherano, Riera, Skrtel, Keane, Kuyt, Alonso etc don't strike me as people who are mentally weak who can't handle a bit pressure. Plenty of the squad have been captains of their national teams or other clubs so it's not an inexperienced squad who would choke in January nevermind May, when the pressure has been really on with everything on the line over two legs in the Champions League the team hasn't bottled it often.

It's a mixture of Benitez being too cautious settling for draws with weaker teams that Man Utd usually steamroll through comfortably by just attacking them for 90 minutes (though United do have superior attacking players) and the wide areas are not good enough to win the league, which is down to the players Benitez has bought and his substitutions haven't really helped in recent games trying to defend leads then conceding late on. The team was lucky to get itself into such a good position early on. Liverpool are one of the hardest teams to beat under Benitez which is good in Europe over a two leg format with away goals and drawing can be often seen as a good result but in a league format we just draw too many games to win it under him. Drawing at home to Stoke, Hull, West Ham, Fulham and Everton is a big disadvantage throwing those kind of points away consistently.

I don't believe the bolded players are Liverpool first team material. Riera,, I haven't really paid close attention to him in Liverpool but, I always thought he was just an above average winger in La Liga, not at all poor , but just not one of the better wingers, either.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts