Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's all over the net.. that Damien Duff is expected to be sold this week to either Man U or Liverpool for an estimated 25 million pounds.. now I think he's great and all.. but a) why do Man U need him when they have Giggs??!! b) 25 million!! Come on!!! I believe we should have made a 10 or 12 million bid before the WC.. or at least got a first option on him or something..

Here's one of the articles.. from koptalk:

"Liverpool have £25million bid accepted for World Cup ace

Story by Kop Talk News 6 July 2002

An update from the Kop Talk News Room.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blackburn Rovers have accepted a bid from Liverpool, believed to be around £25million, for winger Damien Duff.

Duff has been a target of Gerard Houllier's for some time and a bid of £10million was recently believed to have been rejected, as reported on KopTalk at the time.

Reports late on Saturday evening claim that Liverpool and Manchester United have both had bids accepted and a source at Rovers, claims a transfer will happen during the new week.

"A deal for Damien Duff will be done this week," claimed the source.

"Damien gets back from his holidays on Tuesday and his future will be decided by the end of the week.

"It is not a case of if he moves but only which club he will move to. That is how close the transfer is now."

Duff, who was one of the best players during the World Cup, is rumoured to favour a switch to Liverpool.

Early reaction to the news from Liverpool supporters is that the fee is quite high but there has been no confirmation regarding the fee and it could be a total amount which may be made up of a cash figure plus a player or players e.g. Djimi Traore.

Let's see what comes out over the next few days.
"

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Wow!! I certainly hope this is true, Duff is an outstanding player.

I have to agree though that £25m seems very steep for a player with only one year's premiership experience, but hey, it's Parry's money not mine! It's unlikely to be a straight £25m fee anyway, like the source said.

·
Registered
516 Posts
£25m is a lot. Shows that most people were right when they said his price would rocket after the WC. Dunno if its worth it but if we have to pay it to get one over on Manure then its worth it (thats me just being petty). I heard Duff is more keen to join us because of the limited first team opportunities at Manure so hopefully we'll get him.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Liverpool seems to a strong force for next season. With Diouf and Diao in thier wings, Now, they are planning for Duff!!!!:eek:

Woah!! Man U and Arsenal so far have not been active in the transfer market. Liverpool have been on a shopping spree!

·
Star Player
2,961 Posts
Woah!! Man U and Arsenal so far have not been active in the transfer market. Liverpool have been on a shopping spree!
We were lagging behind in this aspect in previous seasons;)...we are caching up ya know:cool:
About Duff....what can I say? I totally agree with the idea of buying him but 25m is a hell lot!:dazed:

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
25m pound is too much for him although he has really impressed me a lot...but i just don't think he's worth that much...either way, i believe that he's either going to man utd (but why?) or liverpool...i personally would want to see him going to liverpool more... :)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Well we haven't got him yet and to be honest I can't see it myself. Houllier wouldn't spend £25 million on a single player unless thats the entire deal, but even so I think this is just the Sunday papers with nothing better to do.

·
Registered
619 Posts
If the rumours were right during the World Cup that the rest of the Irish squad were glad to see the back of Roy Keane, would Duff want to link up again with him at Man U?

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
M said:
Well we haven't got him yet and to be honest I can't see it myself. Houllier wouldn't spend £25 million on a single player unless thats the entire deal, but even so I think this is just the Sunday papers with nothing better to do.
I dont think either club would be prepared to spend so much money on him.Duff's had a solid WC for Ireland but this doesnt mean that his price would shoot up by 15miilion quids.Its just press talks and I wont be surprised if Pool land Bowyer rather from Leeds.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Blackburn Hopeful Over Keeping Duff
News Archive

Duff (R) is a target for the Prem's top guns (Allsport)
07/08/2002. Blackburn have confirmed that they have no intention of allowing Damien Duff to leave Ewood Park.

The Irish international has been linked with moves to both Manchester United & Liverpool of late, however after a superb World Cup for the attacking midfielder, Rovers are keen to keep him.

Chief executive John Williams told the club's official web site, "Clearly, everyone at the club would like Damien to stay. It is the club's intention to negotiate an extension to his contract at the earliest opportunity. I would be delighted to see him continue in a blue and white Rovers shirt next season."

"But it is essential he signs the new contract that is on offer. We need to protect our asset and talks with him will begin as soon as he returns this week. I have spoken with Graeme Souness and he is confident he can persuade Damien to remain with us on football grounds, at least for the foreseeable future."

soccerage ;)

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
An update from the Kop Talk News Room.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reports early this evening claim that Liverpool made a formal offer of just £12million, and not £25million as was first reported, for Blackburn Rovers winger Damien Duff.

It is likely that the total package would be around £25million if accepted as this would include the bid, signing-on fee and wages calculated over the period of the contract.

Duff will be expected to confirm tomorrow if he intends to stay at Rovers or seek a challenge with another club such as Liverpool or United.

----------------------------------------------------------
From Koptalk..

Now that's more reasonable.. a 25 M package is totally different from a 25 M offer...!!

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Yasir said:
Now that's more reasonable.. a 25 M package is totally different from a 25 M offer...!!
I agree with you. No matter where Duff goes, Man U or Liverpool, 25 M offer is a bit too high for him. Well 25M package sounds much more reasonable!!

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
kyro said:

He doesnt have half the skill of Giggs and Pires
doesnt have half the injuries either;)

1 - 20 of 95 Posts