Xtratime Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
On Planet Z
6,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the Romanisti in the house who've been to the Olimpico, wanna share your best experience?

Mine was this past derby--it was something unforgettable! :star:
We got into the grounds and into the lower registers of the Tribuna Tevere (awesome view) I'd say about an hour before kickoff and the place was already rumbling like it was set to explode. They'd hold up a banner, we'd respond; we'd sing an anti-Lazio song, they'd respond; the carabinieri outside set off tear gas cannisters and the fog, when mixed with the smoke from the flares, gave the stadium an otherworldly haze...aaaah, I was already jumping out of my skin by kickoff!!

The match itself, although not remarkable up until the last part of the second half, had me on pins. They were playing to try and shut us down, and I was going through the scenario of what it would be like should the match end in a scoreless draw. Imagine me, if you will, standing there, clutching my scarf and praying that our break would come. Then, it all happened so quickly: Amantino jumps in the air and the next thing I know, three quarters of the stadium are going mad, there's a deafening roar in my ears, and not only are my buddy and I bouncing up and down with glee, strange men are kissing me on the cheek, and the women and I are exchanging high-fives. Er tacco di dio had struck! Not five minutes later, Emerson put another one home, and mayhem ensued once again. Oh, what a night!!

As "Grazie Roma" echoed around the Olimpico, a sea of yellow and red raised its voice in unison while I looked over at the curva nord slinking away while one tin soldier furiously waved his powder blue-and-white flag as if we'd somehow vanish if he kept it up. I saluted that poor soul as he pounded on in vain and sang on, not a little choked up and feeling fully alive. It was heaven, pure heaven...

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
Great topic Phoenix, really!

I've had so many great experiences at Olimpico that I cant help but to name a few. The awayderby in 2002 was very intense, in fact there were times I thought my heart would give up right then and there. The game itself I can't remember that much from, it's the celebrations after the two goals that sticks out. After the first goal, Delvecchios, I remember him walking slowly towards us in Curva Sud, with his arms raised up in the air, witnessing the chaos and disorder he had caused in the stands.
Later on, when Batistuta fired us in front, it truly became magic. Batistuta was followed under Curva Sud by Totti and Delvecchio where the three of them embraced, or layed in a pile more or less. After getting up again and heading back to the field, Delvecchio once again turned towards us in Sud, raised his closed fist and with a facial expression described the meaning of the word grinta better than any dictionary ever could.

Another memorable experience was agianst Perugia the following sunday. The week in between had seen a terrible earthquake hit the south of Italy, where many schoolkids had been buried inside their schools, among other horrible fates. When the game started, we had yet to hear Antonello Venditti's "Roma", and with Curva Sud as quiet as the pa system one could begin to understand what was happening. For exactly ten minutes 50,000 people was completely quiet, not uttering so much as a word. You could actually hear the players yelling to each others and the sound of the ball being kicked around.
After ten minutes, seemingly without warning, the whole stadium joined together and literally screamed out "Quando l'inno..." which traditionally marks the beginning of a game or half. After that Olimpico didn't stop singing for the rest of the 80 minutes of play, or halftime for that matter. When Totti equalised I thought the stadium would collapse, and I'm not kidding! Everybody was very emotional that day, nay week, and all in all it was one of the most overwhelming experiences I've ever had.

Of course, there's always the time when we won lo scudetto as well, but that's another story altogether! ;) :tongue:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts