·
Rated [D] for Danger
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Rated [D] for Danger
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's over 6 minutes long :), it's better you right click the link and "Save Target As...". sorry about the quality but it's the best I could do.

·
Rated [D] for Danger
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no, it's just me, a couple of guitars, a computer and a lot of time :tongue:

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
Server error. Good old Angelfire:rollani:

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Very nice. :)

How do you make the sounds, do you play them on a guitar and then record them into the song? Or do you play it on a computer program?

I have a feeling my questions are dumb, but I'm a dunce when it comes to technology. ;)

·
Rated [D] for Danger
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alive&Kicking said:
Very nice. :)

How do you make the sounds, do you play them on a guitar and then record them into the song? Or do you play it on a computer program?

I have a feeling my questions are dumb, but I'm a dunce when it comes to technology. ;)
ok, the drum track, bass line and keyboard are midi samples. I don't own a drum set or a bass guitar and I don't know how to play a keyboard even if I owned one so I have to write them using guitar playing methods and then create them through the computer.

the guitars (acoustic, electric with effects) are multitrack recording. I record the guitar tracks and then mix them and loop them when needed on the computer.

·
Registered
15,443 Posts
The acoustic playing's very nice - did you finger pick it or use a plectrum??

Beyond that I can't really tell what's guitar and what's just computer synth effects to be honest - there's certainly 2 pieces of electric guitar soloing I can make out

- if you want an honest opinion I'd say you need to develop your touch - there's no vibrato or sustain on your lead - its something that's difficult to pick up from listening to metal. Listen to some guys with really genuine touch on the instrument - Hendrix, Clapton. Players like John Petrucci and Steve Vai will have developed their vibrato from listening to more blues based stuff like that.

That aside I think you've got a good musical imagination there - solid stuff in a sort of prog metal style - and as I said the acoustic work is good.

·
Rated [D] for Danger
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
finger picked the acoustic. there're 3 electric guitar tracks, rhythm is centered, lead is panned a little to the right and then the second lead/harmonizer is panned a little to the left.

I tried recording the guitar through a mic (1.03Mb) but the result wasn't good (besides it picks a lot of background noise), then I tried hooking it directly to my sound card and it recorded clean and acoustic guitar fine but whenever I applied any effects it became too distorted. so I had to use an effect software and that's why it sounds too synth like (the shorter the beat duration is the more synth it sounds like).

I hope to find a way around that and to find better keyboard soundfonts (for free :D).

yeah, I'm trying to get better and I don't only listen to metal guitarists but to a range of them (Clapton, Hendrix, Al Di Meola, Paco de Lucia, Satriani...etc.) but I like to play metal.

·
Registered
15,443 Posts
Of wolf and Man said:

yeah, I'm trying to get better and I don't only listen to metal guitarists but to a range of them (Clapton, Hendrix, Al Di Meola, Paco de Lucia, Satriani...etc.) but I like to play metal.
Cool, I mean you're note choice is pretty advanced but its just the touch - it's something I think you can really only pick up from blues based playing. Vibrato is absolutely everything in lead playing and I think in rock/ metal / blues you should use a certain amount with every single note you play.....

But anyways you're well on the way to becoming an advanced guitar player - you certainly have the melodic understanding.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts