Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lippi open to Zola return Tuesday 7 December, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marcello Lippi has hinted at a shock Italian international recall for 38-year-old Gianfranco Zola following his fine performances for Cagliari.

“The door to the Azzurri is open for everyone,” assured the tactician this afternoon. “In some situations you can even call up a 38-year-old. The important thing is that people with enthusiasm come here.”

The former Chelsea star is currently helping Serie A new boys Cagliari climb into fourth place and scored a brace at the weekend.

“I hope to create a list of 30 or 40 players to choose from when working out my World Cup squad,” added the Coach. “When I was appointed I met with many top flight clubs and Zola asked if he should be at the meeting. I told him the door was open to everyone.”

Zola’s last international cap was earned on October 11 1997, when England held Italy to a 0-0 draw in the World Cup qualifiers.

“The enthusiasm players have shown about being part of the Azzurri experience is what most impressed me during my first six months in charge. I thought I’d have to urge them on, but instead their passion for the game has boosted me.”

The former Juventus boss point blank refused to discuss the recent Turin doping trial at the Expogoal football convention, but concentrated on the new breed of stars in Serie A.

“I am glad to see that the big clubs are back on track in the Champions’ League after last season’s shock exits, while in Italy smaller sides like Palermo, Messina and Cagliari are coming to the fore. It is my job to build a team based on the previous Azzurri line-up with elements of the Under-21 European Champions and the Serie A stars of today.”

Two clubs are dominating the Scudetto race so far and it is unusual to see such a large gap between second-placed Milan and the chasing pack.

“I really didn’t expect this scenario, but we mustn’t forget that the season is even longer this year and there is still time to get back into the running. Next week’s Milan-Juve clash will be important, but not decisive.”

The Italy boss also looked at the Francesco Totti situation at Roma with clubs such as Real Madrid trying to tempt him away from his home town.

“He has scored 106 goals with Roma and, considering his age, has time to really make his mark on the history of this club. I don’t think he needs to leave in order to find international acclaim, as the Giallorossi have always done well in recent years.”

channel4

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
zola is a one of a kind player

he can offer a lot that the likes of totti and del piero cant...hes a true icon of whats great about the italian game

call him up

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Zola I think is more so of the past then of the future. I would love to see him again but before you give Zola a recall give Langella a chance he deserves it.

·
MVP
8,991 Posts
Why do they come up with these call-ups at a WAAAAAY OVER DUE time? :rollani:

He should've been called up for France 98. But Cesare Maldini had other ideas. :yuck:

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
pirri said:
zola is a one of a kind player

he can offer a lot that the likes of totti and del piero cant...hes a true icon of whats great about the italian game

call him up

pirri is oldman mania :googly:

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
yeh...why not..zola is showing us all that age isnt a factor

hes outclassing players 17 years younger then him

age doesnt matter

·
Registered
46,973 Posts
Zola is a formidable player and I'm certain that is physical age is different from his age at the registry office (it happens to many people in Sardinia, in fact you find many over100 there). That said, I think we should concentrate on the players who have a future, Zola in the next world cup will be 40!!!!

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
funny..:)..me oldman mania? not really..if i see a young player who has the zola or lentini in him...ill be ther ebiggest fan

but italian youth isnt producing to much in attacking midfield talent...

chiellini is the only young player that seems up to the task of becoming a class player for us..hes a modern type player.

does age really matter?...i mean..zola isnt slow..for his age he still has quite a spring..and no one has his vision and natural talent in seria A bar the inconsistant genius domenico morfeo

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
in SERIE B!

I would take Vieri in A than Zola in B

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Ohh whoops...ok forget it i'm an idiot...i won't edit it, but i made a big mistake..solrry

1 - 20 of 68 Posts