Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lippi makes Azzurri wish Wednesday 22 December, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marcello Lippi expresses his wishes for 2005 that include a Serie A free from foreigners and a new successful era for Azzurri.

“I would love to see an all-Italian Serie A next year, even though I am fully aware it’s an impossible dream,” said the Coach. “It would be nice and we should safeguard our sporting future with the development of the youth systems, but you can’t stop globalisation.”

There are already some clubs that are living up to Lippi’s ideal scenario with an unusual number of sides packed together in mid-table this season.

“All you have to do is look at the standings. Behind Juventus and Milan we have Palermo, Cagliari, Udinese, Sampdoria, Messina and Lecce. These are teams that play good football, are organised and have a lot of Italian players. Our sport is hitting new heights.”

The trend is now seeing more foreign players flocking to the Peninsula and Italian tacticians slowly making their way in Europe.

“I think everyone recognises that Italian Coaches are more experienced and prepared that any other in the world,” said the ex-Juve boss. “Real Madrid saw that Barcelona are planning a new winning era, so they brought in Arrigo Sacchi to give them structure and organisation. I think he’ll do very well in Spain.”

Lippi revealed he had received offers from overseas when he chose to finish his spell with Juventus, but the call of the Italy post was too strong.

“2004 has brought me a few surprises, such as the desire all the Azzurri players have to get back on track. I found a shared enthusiasm that was simply contagious. We may be top of our 2006 World Cup qualifying group now, but there is a long road ahead of us.”

Lippi has his work cut out for him, as after two disastrous experiences at the 2002 World Cup and Euro 2004 people have lost faith in these players.

“I don’t think our football is over-rated,” he insisted. “Neither should we under-estimate the potential that is there. We remain an important element of World football that is competitive and deserves to be in the top four. What we need now is victories to convince fans of that.”

channel4

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
in an ideal world it would be nice to have. but i dont think there is enough good italian players out there to keep the standard high.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Our squad is not one of world beaters but IMO it is stll competitive as he says and is one that can surprise in a couple of years at 2006 considering we will go into it as underdogs I believe if we get there.

Lippi's squad:

Buffon, Pelizzoli and 1 other (should be De Sanctis but prob Roma)
Zaccardo, Oddo, Nesta, Cannavaro, Materazzi (Ferrari in form is better but every NT manager loves Marco), Barzagli, Chiellini, Zambrotta
De Rossi, Gattuso, Pirlo, Blasi
Camoranesi, Esposito, Totti, Cassano, Del Piero
Gilardino, Montella, Toni/Vieri

To remind you all, that is not my squad but Lippi's probable, I would drop DP for Miccoli, Oddo for Parisi or Langella, Materazzi (purely for being Inter reserve) for Ferrari and put De Sanctis as number 2. Possibly Maresca for Blasi but that is questionable, Maresca has more skill but Blasi suits Lippi's style.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Di Natale would be the best option for Italy from Udinese as Di Michele is to wasteful and Di Natale can be used as a winger. I would definately choose Maresca over Blasi. Roma is a decent keeper but Lupatelli and De Sanctis are better. Of course I haven't seen a lot of Roma so I could be wrong. Pelizzoli needs yet to find his best form until then go with the inform goalies and then wiat and see how good he is.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I agree with you that DiNatale would be more usefull to the NT than Di Michele. DiMichele is a good player but not at that the highest level. But I would definetly choose Blasi over Maresca. Being that Gattuso would be the only pure ball winner on the team. If he went down who would replace him? Beside's Gattuso Blasi is probably the next best ballwinner in Italy. As for Maresca obviously would be much more affective coming forward than Blasi would, but the NT allready have 2 players that can come forward to support the offence Pirlo and Derossi which at this point in time are better than Maresca. So Maresca right now would really be now use to the NT. And thats probably why Lippi really has no interest in Maresca. As for some up and coming MFer's Ive watched Aquilani for roma the last couple of game's. Man he looks impressive. Definetly keep an eye on him.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Zangari_Italia said:
Di Natale would be the best option for Italy from Udinese as Di Michele is to wasteful and Di Natale can be used as a winger.
If I were to pick a striker from Udinese for the NT I would choose Iaquinta and not Di Natale. :) Di Michele is wasteful I'd agree.

·
Registered
23,142 Posts
Di Natale in Udine is wasteful like Di Michele
....no Di Michele isn't that wasteful...he's fasteful like Iaquinta and Di Natale indeed....

Di Michele in this moment is 100% better than Di Michele.

bye

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
Blah, How boring wouldn't serie A be without foreigners. In the 70's we didn't have any and Serie A was crap. Lippi impress me more and more :wallbang:

I would love to see some more forigners in the smaller team, just like the the early 90's when all small teams had 3 Good foreigners. Foggia had Kolyvanvov, Shalimov and Roy. That won't happen anymore, even mid-table teams like Samp, Parma, Bologna and Palermo are utterly boring with few foreigners.

·
Registered
287 Posts
There's at least half a dozen target men that would be chosen before Iaquinta. DiNatale can play on the wing especially with the lack of quality winger's at the NT's disposal I would think DiNatale would be more usefull to the NT than Iaquinta.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
I agree slightly with Nasty Nick on the foreigners issue, but only if the foreigners are total class. At the moment too many assholes enter the Italian league. Still I think the teams you mentioned... Palermo are not so boring at the moemnt. The front 3 they have are class (Brienza, Zauli and Toni) also Italian, they dont score so much which is hard to believe because them 3 play quite well.

Aquilani for Roma has been class lately, but had a tough start to the season, so maybe he is finally showing his potential.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
It should be like it used to be a maximum of 3 foreigners per club,The problem is that we have plenty on non-Italians yet so many of them aren't even top quality.I don't agree of having a Serie A Foreign free because it would also deprive us of having some of the great talents in our own backyard.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Indeed, the league also went crap when we just put as many foreingers as the liked in the late 90's early this millenium...

Players like Taribo West and Rigobert Song were going to Italy and that is just not right

·
Registered
23,142 Posts
Mago said:
I can't remember seeing Song in Serie A... When was that? What club did he play for?
1998-99 Salernitana ...played 4 gaomes and scored 1 goal, this one aginst Roma

...there is a friend of mine from Salerno who have his shirt!...not with his number and name but with his face:D :howler:

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
Mago said:
I can't remember seeing Song in Serie A... When was that? What club did he play for?
Rigobert Song had a brief spell with Salernitana. He's just one of many foreigners that was bought and then left quickly.

I think the 3, or say 5 foreigner rule would be nice, if the foreigners that the teams had would be good and our Italians would be good too. Unfortunately that isn't that case. There are few top foreigners in the smaller teams like in the early 90's when most good foreigners were playing in Italy. The domestic players are not as good as they used too anymore. Siena have scrath, and the same with other smaller teams like Livorno, Messina etc. There are a couple of good players in teams like Palermo, Sampdoria and Bologna but they lack the kind of domestic players they had in the 90's that could win a game on theor own. Signori/Baggio in their prime for Bologna and Mancini/Montella/Lombardo/Vierchowod etc. for Samp. They are a decent team but far from the level they used to. There are also too few forigners there. Meghni might be a prospect in the future for Bologna, but still not established and neither Samp nor Palermo have any good foreigners. Buying some foreigners that are good would benefit Serie A, let's say 3-5 topclass a team. Let's remember that in 1980 when the 16 year old ban was lifted we shortly became the Mecca of football, that won everything and had all the good players ;)

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Samp in the 90's were one of the best squads in Italy though. Of course there squad now is roughly 7th best maybe 6th.

There is no doubt that Serie A had better players in the 90's, but at the same time the current team of Fiorentina, Palermo, Samp themselves, Lecce and so on are pretty decent. 3 of them teams are made up of mainly Italians witht he odd foreigners involved!

The thing which can make these 3 teams better are indeed 1 or 2 big name players in needed positions, seeing as big name Italians play only for the big 3 or Roma (unless they fail with the big 3 or Roma) it means they normally have to get a very good foreigner for them positions if they want to improve or even a young Italian, but there are only so many good youngsters around in Italy. Not every youngster is going to be world class. In fact, only 5% really.

If players like Ambrosini, Tomasson, Cruz, Recoba go down to the 2nd tier clubs (by that I mean Fio, Palermo, Samp, Udinese and slightly above them Roma) it can only be good for Italian football as they are class players.

IMO, Italian football has improved over the last 5 years. The late 90's, Serie A IMO was definitely declining but it has lifted itself in th last few years. Inter, Milan and Juve were also declining with some muppet signings, but their teams are now formidable again. It still needs Roma to stay as a big team even if we are trying our best this year to be crap and also needs at leats 2 more teams become big over the next couple of years and attract big players. My guess is Palermo or Fiorentina

It would be great if Genoa and Torino rejoin Serie A too because they have the name and tradition.

·
Registered
46,333 Posts
The true problem of serie A is not the number of foreign players (which is above all a problem for the Italian NT), but the unfair share of the economic resources. Milan/Inter/Juventus get too much money and of course buy the best players. I don't care whether they have 30 millions supporters in Italy: serie A is not a movie with actors and extras.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts