Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tell me if this makes sense. For weeks Lippi's going around claiming that if Cassano wants to play on the Azzurri he needs to find regular minutes right?

Fine. If that's so and regular minutes is a priority for Lippi why was Materazzi called?

Cassano is a forward playing on one of the most offensively gifted squads in the world having to battle the likes of Raul, Robinho and Ronaldo for minutes yet Materazzi can't even beat out the "rock solid" Nicholas Burdisso on the depth chart on a team where defence is an after thought yet he's selected?

Knowing full well that Totti may not play in Germany or if he does he'll be at best 60-70%, not propping Cassano up now, regular minutes or not is a colossal mistake.

·
Registered
45,600 Posts
Lippi fears that Cassano could break the harmony in the team. This is the only explanation. The "playing regular minutes" thing was clearly bullshìt for the journalists. Well, it is not the first time that something similar happens. Just think to Baggio and Crap-attoni.

·
Registered
14,870 Posts
Not playing "regular minutes" is generally a valid reason to exclude someone from the NT. Cassano should be excluded for this and his propensity to destabalize the dressing room. On Materazzi, only God and Lippy knows why he was included. I can think of a handfull of better options.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sure, but he needs to stop living in the past and realize this is the SR team coached by Lippi not the under21's coached by Gentile.

Because I don't remember Anto' deterring the chemistry in Portugal. In fact he was our catalyst. We didn't go anywhere but atleast he gave us a sniff.

He just doesn't want to call him out because he doesn't play in Italy.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
barracuda said:
Not playing "regular minutes" is generally a valid reason to exclude someone from the NT. Cassano should be excluded for this and his propensity to destabalize the dressing room. On Materazzi, only God and Lippy knows why he was included. I can think of a handfull of better options.
If destabilizing the dressing room is of top priority then why is Totti always called out? He isn't exactly the textbook definition of a team player with his knack for getting redcarded and egotistical attitude.

Oh he's got skill? Well so does Cassano.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
CinqueDiMaggio said:
He just doesn't want to call him out because he doesn't play in Italy.
That, surely, is not true. Cassano just arrived in Spain. He isn't that forgotten yet (like Miccoli).

I have no idea why Matrix is called, but can totally understand why Cassano is omitted. Which coach in his right mind will pick Antonio now?

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Vieri is called so the not playing in Italy thing is not really true. I think Cassano doesnt deserve the call personally, probably Materazzi doesnt either but Lippi has called him, also Matrix has played many games this season at the end of the day...

I have to say that Lippi is calling the players he has trusted. Last year he called many new players and many old ones. He gave them all a chance and from these he picked out a selection of about 26-28 of them which would probably make his 23 in Germany. I dont think Cassano was in that... However, Lippi has called Perrotta and Pasqual who probably werent in that either, for doing well and playing consistently with quality. Obviously if Cassano does this until the end of the season he will be called, but he probably wont and so Lippi is some ways is right not to call him.

I trust Lippi still, he realises that squads and teams win the World Cup, not 23 very good players. Diana might not be the best but he brings certain qualities tot he squad. All of them know each other and have played with each other. I think Lippi respects that this is the best way to win a WC just the way Greece won Euro 04.

·
Bobo
4,525 Posts
in the end the only one who can change this situation is Antonio himself,head down and work.

we all know he has the talent,but bloody hell when will he put his stinking brain into gear and use it,he has to put Lippi in a position whereby he can't be ignored,and at the mo he isn't doing it,look at DP even Inzaghi,Cassano has to do the same,i really hope he does.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Well again, Matrx has been in the set-up for a long time now so Lippi trusts him. Im not even sure if Matrix is that crap. Hes just ill disciplined, but as an actual defender when I see him he doesnt do that much wrong.

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
It's very simple:

Behind Materazzi there is...Barzagli? Ferrari? What are you, kidding me?

Behind Cassano there is? Inzaghi, Iaquinta, Vieri, Lucarelli, etcetera.

That's it.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
lippi not calling cassano while he calls up materazzi shows how much of a hypocrite he is.

the only other explanation i can think of is maybe lippi wants to really motivate cassano to get to his absolute best? who knows.........

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
You lot are all stupid for saying hes a hypocrite for this reason. Whats the hypocracy here? I'll just get the stats out for you...

Materazzi has played a total of 26 games this season and almost all of them have been from the start. Last season he played 26 Serie A games alone plus others, around 30+.

In 2 seasons hes played about 60 games. Cassano in the last 2 seasons has done well to play about 6 games from the start.

Lippi is hardly a hypocrite here.

Cacini is also right, Materazzi does not play in a position where we are gifted with talent. If anything I would agree that he is one of the 4 best central defenders we have right now and so the call is justified. Cassano however plays in a position where others can be called and I would say Marchionni deserves the call before him anyway (and he does play every week).

·
Banned
734 Posts
CinqueDiMaggio said:
Tell me if this makes sense. For weeks Lippi's going around claiming that if Cassano wants to play on the Azzurri he needs to find regular minutes right?

Fine. If that's so and regular minutes is a priority for Lippi why was Materazzi called?

Cassano is a forward playing on one of the most offensively gifted squads in the world having to battle the likes of Raul, Robinho and Ronaldo for minutes yet Materazzi can't even beat out the "rock solid" Nicholas Burdisso on the depth chart on a team where defence is an after thought yet he's selected?

Knowing full well that Totti may not play in Germany or if he does he'll be at best 60-70%, not propping Cassano up now, regular minutes or not is a colossal mistake.

thanks for copying my post in "in the end cassano made a bad move at madrid" :thmbdown:

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Vinman said:
yes, why was MaterazCRAP called ???? :confused:
Exactly :thumbsup:Explain how Vieri get's a call up when Inzaghi and Lucarelli have been in flying form of late when all Vieri does is score a few goals in the French league. :irritate: :frustrat:

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Well its unfair to call Materazzi that for 100%!!

The Cassano issue is probably related now to both, the harmony in the team, & his form!!

I don't think Cassano is a disruptive influence if to be at the squadra azzura, bcz he has always been polite to be honest with italia, trappatoni's or lippi's!!
Maybe the fact that he's a forward, makes lippi more anxious about his form, since he gained weight in this last year, & lost much of match fitness, & has only played probably one or two complete matches.. At real he's only played like 120 min till now, thats non sense.. I wish it too badly to see him making the WC squad, but frankly at this moment it just do not seem possible at all!!

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Deano said:
Well again, Matrx has been in the set-up for a long time now so Lippi trusts him. Im not even sure if Matrix is that crap. Hes just ill disciplined, but as an actual defender when I see him he doesnt do that much wrong.
Not not much at all.

Yesterday as soon as Materazzi comes in not even 30 seconds later he misses an assignment and Germany is on the scoreboard.

Thank god according to you he doesn't do much wrong.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Deano said:
Vieri is called so the not playing in Italy thing is not really true. I think Cassano doesnt deserve the call personally, probably Materazzi doesnt either but Lippi has called him, also Matrix has played many games this season at the end of the day...
That means nothing and you know it. People get selected on form based on results up to selection day. If Materazzi I think has played maybe a dozen minutes since the new year, probably fuelled by his feud with Mancio, how do you figure he's on form? Oh because he was a starter from september to december??? So lemme guess now despite hardly playing CURRENTLY, is that form in december supposed to translate into a solid contribution in june????? Are you kidding me? Take a minute to reconsider please because you're not making any sense.

As for Vieri, he's the exception because he's always been a huge favourite of Lippi's. Despite the fact he can barely kick with 1 foot and he's got a few goals lately in that powerhouse of a league in France, there's no reason based on ability why he should be there over Cassano. Screw form because form dips, skill and ability rarely does!!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts