Xtratime Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lippi crowns Spalletti Monday 27 December, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marcello Lippi casts an eye over the Serie A stage and reveals he had recommended Luciano Spalletti for his successor at Juventus.

“Udinese are a phenomenon of modern football management,” commented the Italy boss. “Behind their results lie a network of scouts and video cameras to scan potential stars around the world. No transfer decision is left to chance.”

The Friuli outfit has never finished higher than third in Serie A, but this season they have been the only side capable of closing in on Juventus and Milan. Can they challenge for the Scudetto?

“Why not?” responded Lippi. “Nobody has done better in the last ten rounds, so why put a glass roof on your ambitions?”

There are several Udinese players who have been tipped for a future in the Azzurri squad, with Stefano Mauri already earning a cap under Lippi’s reign.

“The whole team has extraordinary potential, but if you want individual names then I can say Morgan De Sanctis, Felipe, Mauri, David Pizarro and those wonderful strikers Antonio Di Natale, David Di Michele and Vincenzo Iaquinta.”

The man who has forged them into a team is Luciano Spalletti, a Coach considered to be worthy only of mid-table sides before this fantastic season.

“I will reveal a little secret,” added Lippi. “Last February I decided to stop Coaching Juventus and put forth Spalletti’s name as my replacement. I was set for a role as general manager within the club, but my career took another path.”

Udinese may be the Serie A revelation, but the title race already seems to be between two teams before we’ve even reached the half-way point.

“It will be a long battle between Juventus and Milan, but the difference will be made by minor details, such as the recovery process of David Trezeguet, Jaap Stam and Pippo Inzaghi. Emerson has been Juve’s masterpiece buy, while their desire to get back on track has also been key.”

channel4

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Nice words of Lippi and nice to see De Sanctis' name among them players! I have a feeling that De Sanctis and 1 of the strikers will be in his next squad. Possibly not Mauri if he is always on the bench!

·
Registered
23,142 Posts
I can say Morgan De Sanctis, Felipe, Mauri, David Pizarro and those wonderful strikers Antonio Di Natale, David Di Michele and Vincenzo Iaquinta
this translation have forgot the name PINZI becuase Lippi named also GIAMPIERO!

Btw...great to see that i'm not the only one who loves FELIPE :proud:

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Prandelli to return in 2005 Thursday 30 December, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Former Parma and Roma Coach, Claudio Prandelli, looks set to make a return to coaching in 2005.

In an interview with UNITA, Prandelli confirmed that it is his intention to return to the football world next summer after resigning from his position as Roma boss for personal reasons.

“When will I return to the bench? I think it will be next summer,” confirmed Prandelli. “Where? Who knows? It could be in Italy, but I won’t rule out going abroad. But this has nothing to do with Arrigo Sacchi’s departure from Parma, so don’t link me with Real Madrid.”

With regards to the year just gone, Prandelli believes that Udinese have been the surprise of 2004. However, he also insists that Inter should be regarded as a threat in the new year.

“The Nerazzurri could well be the Italian team best equipped to win the Champions’ League,” insisted Prandelli. Roberto Mancini’s team are still unbeaten in all competitions this season.

Prandelli led Parma to two consecutive fifth place finishes in Serie A before joining Roma last summer, where he lasted just three months before his shock resignation.

channel4

1 - 4 of 4 Posts