Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have you guys seen this guy playing for the argentina under 20 team lately.
he's awesome, coming of the bench the first two games he scored 3 goals. then started the last one and cunducted the team to a 6-0 win. I wonder what kinda chance he'll have in the future with barca.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Well, he's one of the youngest players that have made his debut with Barça. I think that he has space in this team, but let's give him time to grow.

·
Registered
22,800 Posts
he can be used as a backup for Roni maybe? for now he's nowhere near a starting spot ofcourse but he's got loads of talent so if he continues working hard and delivering quality i'm sure he'll get more minutes.

·
Banned
13,144 Posts
Yes, now he played with others of his age, but he must start performing with/against much older and experienced players too.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
In the Sudamericano (he looks like the best layer in the tournament, along with Barrientos another Argentinean) Messi is only 17 and he is competing with players that are mostly between 19 and 20 years old

Barcawinner said:
Yes, now he played with others of his age, but he must start performing with/against much older and experienced players too.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
He can be used as backup for both Ronnie and (the injury prone) Giuly, where we are very short of other options. So he'll get many more minutes this season I think.

·
In Pep, We Trust!
6,149 Posts
any player can be injury prone, let's hope that Giuly doesn't get injured same goes to all the players in the team. If barca manage to beat santander with a big margin he should play more minutes at the end of each match. This will give him more confidence. Rijkaard should start him in a couple of matches

·
Registered
73 Posts
has anyone got any updates on the under-20 tournament that messi is playing at.. is it qualifiers for the u-20 world cup.. or just some random tournament...

how many goals has he scored, games played etc...
im really excited to see this player in a couple of years break into the first team..
cheers boys

·
Registered
436 Posts
\/ISC/\ B/\RC/\ said:
has anyone got any updates on the under-20 tournament that messi is playing at.. is it qualifiers for the u-20 world cup.. or just some random tournament...
how many goals has he scored, games played etc...
im really excited to see this player in a couple of years break into the first team..
It chooses 4 teams for Netherland 2005's World Cup.
Messi scored 5 goal so far and he's playing tonight against Colombia.
http://www.ole.clarin.com/jsp/v3/pagina.jsp?pagId=914917
:)

·
Registered
9,698 Posts
I've seen this kid playing, and I'm sure, he'll do so good with Barca, don't forget guys he was with the team in the Asia tour, when the team was playing offseason games, and he score couple of goals, and created other goals, and he was choosen by Rijkaard to go with the team to Asia.

he'll be back to be with the 1st team no doubts about it, and Rijkaard will use him, sometimes, when he needs to rest some of the players, specialy, when we have a short squad in the main time, even if we add Albertini and Maxi Lopez.

he'll be a nother star shining in Barca T-shirt, in the coming years, lets hope, the board keeps him as Barca player for years to come.

Visca el Barca

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Hi guys, I hope you don't mind answering these questions. :)

1) How old exactly is Messi?
2) Where did you buy him from? Or is he home-raised?
3) Does he have an EU passport?
4) Before breaking through the Barca first team, how long did he play for Barca B?
5) Has he ever scored a goal for the first team?
6) What do you think is his biggest quality?

Thanx!

·
“Més que un club”
1,359 Posts
Handoyo said:
Hi guys, I hope you don't mind answering these questions. :)

1) How old exactly is Messi?
2) Where did you buy him from? Or is he home-raised?
3) Does he have an EU passport?
4) Before breaking through the Barca first team, how long did he play for Barca B?
5) Has he ever scored a goal for the first team?
6) What do you think is his biggest quality?

Thanx!
1. He's 17 right now
2. He came from a club in Argentina a few seasons ago, when he was 14 I believe.
3. I'm not sure about this one, but by the time he gets a professional contract he'll have one. He's lived here long enough.
4. When he arrived, he started with Barça C and made rapid progress throughout all the ranks. Each season he moved up a rank, and ended up with the A team for this year's pre-season.
5. Yes he scored one during the pre-season.
6. He's got lots of them but what I admire about him is how smoothly everything seems to him. At 17 yrs old, he looks like a veteran out there with the ball almost glued to his feet. He feels at ease on the field, which is very important. He's also quite versatile, he can play almost anywhere up front. Good speed, great dribble, and a knowledge of the game.

Hopefully that helped a bit.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
i think Messi was eligible to play for spains kiddies but turned them down to play for Argentina, so he probably is EU

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
i found an article about him:

ionel Messi was born in Rosario (Argentina) seventeen years ago. His first steps onto a soccer field were for a club in his neighbourhood, Grandoli, at the age of five. After doing well for Grandoli he moved to Newell where he proceeded to progress through their youth team.

He then spent some time training with River whilst playing for the first team of Newell but his career came to a halt because of an hormonal illness that didn't let him grow up. Messi's family had to go to Spain in order to raise the money to pay the treatment of Leo. It was whilst playing in Spain that Barca heard about Lionel and after excellent scout reports the club decided to sign the young Argentine. Then, in September 2000 he had his first oportunity with Barça and he didn't disapoint scoring five goals in his first match. During his first season at Barça he scored 35 goals in 30 matches, at this time he was playing as striker.

Last year at the age of 16 years old Messi started playing with the Youth B team of F.C. Barcelona but he finished the season playing with the second squad of Barcelona, Barça B, who play in the Second Dvision B. He also played his first game with the first team in a friendly match against Oporto.

This left-sided player now plays in the same position as Ronaldinho and is one of the most promising young players at Barça. During the summer he played for his national team whilst still under the age of 20 and now he will be traveling with the fisrt team of Barça on the Asian tour.

This season Leo Messi will play for Barcelona B but with the way he continues to impress he will probably get his chance with the first team. In Barcelona everybody is very interested on this young football player. Let's see what he can do.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts