Xtratime Community banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
The Maestro
1,185 Posts
Iniesta won much more than zidane.
You'd have to define what you're aiming for because won more and being better are 2 totally different concepts (they even belong to different areas, one to the collective and the other to the individual).

And played clearly better.
Both had exceptional ball technique, but the French had it even in higher kinesthetic terms, he reflected greater effectiveness in the bigger definitions and managed to be a more decisive main star.

Plus does not have 2 red cards in world cups.
That seems to be a negligible detail in the overall comparison.

And he also helps the defense.
Yes, he had a greater ability to press and I'd say more agility, but overall I think he'll still lose from a technical point of view and, above all, from the impact they had on their generations.

·
The Maestro
1,185 Posts
Cafu is like 50 times better than Thuram as a right back.
I'd say that Cafu is usually very overrated, perhaps more than anything because of the popularity of his name and having met a great Brazilian generation.

Of course he's one of the most prominents right-backs in history, but for many he has become an automatic option as the best and I think it's a bit strange.

Comparing them season by season in Italy (which was where they developed a decade of their careers) I could only count an exceptional season for the Brazilian (2000-01), then only until very good performances, but not related to a player who imposed his conditions as one of the best players in the world (such as Maicon in 2009-10). Meanwhile, Thuram had at least 3 outstanding consecutive seasons with Parma (1996-97, 1997-98, 1998-99) (in the first he even won the Guerin d'Oro) and another huge 2002-03 playing for Juventus.

Cafu usually compensates for these type of comparisons based on his high international profile, but here he collides with another international bastion like Thuram, one of the main stars of a World Cup and a European Championship.

I don't see how to sustain his case from this perspective.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts