Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
The Maestro
1,185 Posts
I'd doubt between Karel Pesek and Luis Monti for the centre-half position.

Varela is out of position (he was a centre-half). I'd say that probably the most prominent left wing-half was the captain of the Wunderteam, Walter Nausch.

There are 2 huge absences, precisely of which could be considered the 2 best players in history until before the 1950's: the great Austrian centre-forward Matthias Sindelar and the Argentine right inside-forward José Manuel Moreno.

The best left outside-forward until then, I'd say Raimundo Orsi.

·
The Maestro
1,185 Posts
Billy Wright is out of position. He was central defender in a 3-man line and I'd say he should be there instead of José Santamaría, who went through his prime between the 1950's and 1960's.

I'd replace Edwards's short peak with Ernst Ocwirk's greater consistency. I'd also put Julinho before Garrincha in this decade, while Pelé exploded too late in this period to be considered. I'd include Didi in that position, a more consecrated star for the time (or Raymond Kopa).

·
Registered
59,329 Posts
funny that there are those 2 no-name communist goulash-munchers in the 1950 team (Kubala was better than them), but the pre-1950 team misses the 100x better, real Hun superstars Sárosi, Orth, Schlosser.

·
Registered
47,031 Posts
Are you sure that Zoff deserves to be in the team of the 70s? I didn't follow footbal in the 70s but I remember people were talking about the fact that he needed glasses, after the two goals scored by the Netherlands with shots from loooooooong distance during the world cup 1978 (goals which costed the qualification to the final...).

·
oic
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Varela is out of position (he was a centre-half). I'd say that probably the most prominent left wing-half was the captain of the Wunderteam, Walter Nausch.

There are 2 huge absences, precisely of which could be considered the 2 best players in history until before the 1950's: the great Austrian centre-forward Matthias Sindelar and the Argentine right inside-forward José Manuel Moreno.

Are you sure that Zoff deserves to be in the team of the 70s? I didn't follow footbal in the 70s but I remember people were talking about the fact that he needed glasses, after the two goals scored by the Netherlands with shots from loooooooong distance during the world cup 1978 (goals which costed the qualification to the final...).
Are u kidding me. Haan was a superb shooter. He also scored against german goalie in that world cup

·
oic
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Are u kidding me. Haan was a superb shooter. He also scored against german goalie in that world cup

·
oic
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Who should i put instead of Zoff? Sepp Maier who suffered goal from same distance, same world.cup same. Shooter?

·
Registered
47,031 Posts
Zoff also conceded this one in the same game.

and these ones in the 3rd place final

That said, I told you before that I didn't follow football in the 70s, so I simply told you what was the opinion of the Italian people after this game (and the world cup 1978 indeed): "Zoff needs a pair of glasses because he doesn't see long range shots". True or false, he confirmed in the 80s with more long range shots conceded (Magath, Boloni, etc.) that he had a problem with long range shots. In 1974 the Italian team was eliminated pretty badly. In the euro 1972 and 1976 did pretty much nothing. Juventus won nothing but a UEFA cup in 1977 and lost a Champions Cup final in 1973.
I think that your opinion of Zoff is affected by the win on Brazil in 1982, which was a great win, btw, but doesn't mean that you have to rate those Italian players highly because they defeated Brazil.

I can't help you with goalies of the 70s, I didn't watch football so I know pretty much the Italian most famous ones (Zoff, Albertosi, Castellini) a bit and that's it. Probably you should analyze the goalies of the teams which actually won something in the 70s: German teams, Dutch teams, English teams... if we talk about Europe. Regarding South America you should know better than me.

·
Registered
59,329 Posts
my fav keeper in the 1970s was Ronnie Hellström, Sweden and 1.FC Kaiserslautern legen. not sure if he was the best, but fa só top5 material.

·
Registered
46,350 Posts
I would put Baresi in pretty much any lineup that could include him...I've chosen him in a 90's draft, etc. But if you're starting from 1993 and not 1990 or even 1991, you're taking the tail end of his career and missing out on a significant chunk of his greatness.

Put Nesta in instead. You have his whole pro career in this period...which coincidentally started in '93.

I wouldn't put Sergio Ramos in there...many other options. Desailly, Blanc, Sammer, Puyol, etc.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts