Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
13,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi what is the predicted line-up of Liverpool now with Pellegrino and Morientes in? Also, what would the line-up be when all players would be fit?

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
The line-up at the moment will probably look like:
..............Dudek
Finnan...Carra..Hyypia..Traore
Garcia..Gerrard..Hamann..Riise
...........Moro..Baros

With everyone fit the team will probably be like:
............Dydek or Kirky
Finnan...Carra..Hyypia...Riise
Garcia..Gerrard..Alonso..Kewell
(2 from Moro, Baros and Cisse)

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Formation for current available players

An interesting thread to answer a question many of us are already thinking about :)

Well, Rafa has always stressed that we must play a brand of footie that applies pressure by possession, and has the disciplined to stay organized with good tactical awareness. We see good, crisp passing from Rafa's teams, with a great mixture of short and long range passing to keep the ball and redistribute it.

To play that brand of footie, with our current available players, the best starting line-up IMO would be as below:

-----------------Dudek-----------------
---------------------------------------
-----------Carra------Hyppia-----------
-Finnan------------------------Traore--
-----------Biscan-----Hamann----------
----------------Gerrard-----------------
--Garcia/Nunez-------------Riise/Garcia--
----------------------------------------
---------------Moro/Baros--------------

The reason why I didn't think of having both Moro and Baros in this line-up is because without Xabi, the middle of the park lacks a good player to dictate the pace of the game and redistribute the ball (either to attack or keep possesion). Playing Hamann alone without Biscan, would leave the middle quite bare, as Hamann lacks the vision and redistribution ability of Alonso. With Hamann, we'd be defensively sound, but Gerrard would have to do twice the work by going down and collecting the ball from defence to start another attack, and at the same time, go into the opponent's box. To compensate for this, and focus Gerrard to be more influential in the final third of the pitch, Biscan's attacking instincts and physical presence would complement Hamann and make Hamann and Gerrard less tired as he can help Hamann with the defensiv duties, while help keeping Gerrard at the final third of the pitch.

The drawbacks of the above formation is, our focal point of attack can be compromised easily, as there is only one striker as a target, and our wings would not get as much width as with playing with two strikers. We would also be a little slow and narrow in our counter attacks, as our wings would have to come inside to make sure they're not too far from our strikers. Otherwise, we'd have to hold the play, and wait for our fullbacks to arrive.

Another different variation for all our current available players is as below:

-----------------Dudek-----------------
-Finnan------------------------Traore--
------------Gerrard---Hamann----------
--Garcia/Nunez-------------Riise/Garcia--
-------------Moro---Baros--------------

This would be the popular formation, preferred by many. On paper it looks very balanced, but in a game, we might see Hamann playing deep and Gerrard moving around more as he needs to push up behind the strikers, but also drop deep to collect balls from the defense. Hamann's tendency to stay deep, and hold the for too long will expose us in this formation. With two wide men, and two strikers to target, it would be easier for Hamann to distribute the ball in theory, but that has not been one of his best abilities.

One thing about this formation is that when Gerrard drops deep, Moro would have to drop deep as well so that its not bare in the middle of the final third. By doing so he would pull one of the CBs, leaving the other one to fend for Baros. Assuming Moro then lays it back to Gerrard, Gerrard would have the luxury of choosing between Riise, Garcia/Nunez & Baros to knock a first-time thru pass to. Riise likes to get behind the backline, Garcia is intelligent to drift into open spaces and Baros has speed & physique to go shoulder to shoulder with the last man chasing a thru pass, so this is a good attacking option.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Formation if all players are available

If all our players are available, it would be sth like this:

For a more patient approach to the game, with strong, physical defense

---------------Kirkland-----------------
---Finnan------------------------Riise--
-----------Gerrard------Alonso----------
--Nunez------------------------Kewell--
------------Moro-------Baros-----------

For a more direct approach to the game, fast paced

--Garcia------------------------Kewell--
------------Ciise-------Baros-----------

A few other variations (I'm going with Kirklang as the keeper as he has more physical presence, and he comes for crosses):

-------Gerrard/Hamann------Alonso------
--Nunez------Garcia/Gerrard-----Kewell--
---------------Moro/Baros--------------

---Finnan-----------------------Traore-
--Garcia-----------------Riise/Kewell----
----------------------Kewell/Moro-------
---------------Baros/Ciise---------------

--Carra---Pelle/Hyppia--Hyppia/Traore--
----------Hamann----------------------
-----------------------Alonso----------
----------------Gerrard----------------
--Garcia/Baros/Nunez------Kewell/Riise--
------------Moro-------Ciise-----------

Can swap Carra for Finnan/Josemi in this variation. To be used when the chips are down.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Currently.. I would definetly go with:

------------Dudek-----------------

Finnan--Carra--Hyypia/Pelle--Traore

Garcia--Hamann----Gerrard--Riise--

-------Moro-------Baros----------

I wouldn't have that much concern over our lack of physical presence in midfield.. Hamann knows how to cover the back four well.. and the whole point of having Riise in midfield is he adds to both the offensive and defensive aspects of the side.. and then there's Gerrard.. who covers the whole pitch.. furthermore, I don't think that Moro would be pushed into going back into a deeper role.. I'd say it would be the other way around.. with Baros and LG taking the flanks more often.. Moro in the middle with Gerrard right behind him.. the concern would start when Kewell and Alonso are back.. that's when our defence will really have to start depending on themselves more than the support of their midfield.. but then I'd say Riise should go back in defense (I definetly would prefer him over Traore who's very unpredictable and slips a lot)..

A few other points I believe in:
1. At the moment.. Kirky is NOT ready to be our No.1.. His run in the side this season proved that.. the Dude still makes a mistake or two.. but his confidence is growing.. and he has the tendancy to make the excellent save much more than Kirkland.

2. I would NEVER have Nunez in my first team.. Ever!! I agree we got him as a surplus in the Owen deal.. and I hope he proves me wrong.. but I think he's no where near the quality we require

3. The dilemma will be what happens next season.. but that's a bit too early considering we don't know who's staying and who's leaving..

4. Smicer should return in a while.. a good option on the right hand side..

5. In the Watford game.. I started having a major concern over Didi.. I don't know if it's age finally grabbing hold of him.. but he looked exhausted!! looked as if he couldn't pick up with the pace of the game.. that's a major issue unless Rafa decides to give Biscan the chance of his life (until Xabi comes back)..

All in all, I think Rafa has proved that his line up is NEVER a certainty.. it's depending on the game.. the opponents and the situation we're in.. for the Manc game.. I'd certainly go with a 4-4-2 if Moro is fit (ala the first formation).. or a 4-5-1 with Garcia, Gerrard, Hamann, Biscan and Riise in midfield..

Hope Moro and Baros will start.. Giggs will be back for the Mancs.. so I expect a good game.. and hopefully a win :fero:

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Yasir said:
I wouldn't have that much concern over our lack of physical presence in midfield.. Hamann knows how to cover the back four well.. and the whole point of having Riise in midfield is he adds to both the offensive and defensive aspects of the side.. and then there's Gerrard.. who covers the whole pitch.. furthermore, I don't think that Moro would be pushed into going back into a deeper role.. I'd say it would be the other way around.. with Baros and LG taking the flanks more often.. Moro in the middle with Gerrard right behind him.. the concern would start when Kewell and Alonso are back.. that's when our defence will really have to start depending on themselves more than the support of their midfield.. but then I'd say Riise should go back in defense (I definetly would prefer him over Traore who's very unpredictable and slips a lot)..
Yasir, Hamann does cover the back four well. However, in doing so, he drops deep, and plays right in font of the defence. He doesn't cover the whole area of central midfield due to his lack of pace and mobility. This is where team like Man Utd & Arsenal will kill us. Gerrad will have to do the covering around Hamann, covering the other CM area, at the sme time, having to start attacks and go to the opposing box. This will leave a lot of gaps in central midfield, and creates ditance between the ball and the wide men+strikers.

xabi does go up and support the midfield, even though he does not tackle as well as hamann does, at least he does not stay far away from gerrard, and he has excellent distribution.

If Hamann plays, the central midfield will be swamped easily, esp against teams that press, or teams that has a balanced central midfield. We will be slow in our breaks too, as the gap from gerrard and the strikers are too far.

This is why Moro has to drop deep some times. Lately we've seen Baros dropping deep to collect balls out from midfield and he does well to hold the ball and turn the defender. Maybe on Sat we'll see mroe of that.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
karrmadamaii said:
Yasir, Hamann does cover the back four well. However, in doing so, he drops deep, and plays right in font of the defence. He doesn't cover the whole area of central midfield due to his lack of pace and mobility. This is where team like Man Utd & Arsenal will kill us. Gerrad will have to do the covering around Hamann, covering the other CM area, at the sme time, having to start attacks and go to the opposing box. This will leave a lot of gaps in central midfield, and creates ditance between the ball and the wide men+strikers.

xabi does go up and support the midfield, even though he does not tackle as well as hamann does, at least he does not stay far away from gerrard, and he has excellent distribution.

If Hamann plays, the central midfield will be swamped easily, esp against teams that press, or teams that has a balanced central midfield. We will be slow in our breaks too, as the gap from gerrard and the strikers are too far.

This is why Moro has to drop deep some times. Lately we've seen Baros dropping deep to collect balls out from midfield and he does well to hold the ball and turn the defender. Maybe on Sat we'll see mroe of that.
I beg to differ..

Yes Hamann's abilities have gone down recently.. especially running.. as he seems out of breath a lot.. But I think the whole set up we have is to have 2 central midfielders.. when in possession, one attacks.. the other should be near by.. when in defence.. both support our back four.. simply, what Albelda and Baraja do at Valencia.. Baraja is Gerrard, Albelda should have been Alonso.. but currently is Hamann.. now needless to say, with Hamann, we're less offensive than with Alonso.. but the other way of the argument is that we're better of defensively..

As for our attackers.. I would rather see Baros continue going back, collecting the ball and making his way to goal.. which he does so well.. than Moro dropping deeper.. We've had an issue in movement off the ball in the past few season.. and definetly a decision making issue (except for Gerrard and Baros who know what they're gonna do the moment they get the ball).. With Moro, I think things would change a bit.. I can see us having fast breaks with Baros or LG on the ball.. and Moro creating the space to meet a cross or pass.. of course the break initiating from a Gerrard long ball (the ones only he can do :)) after getting the ball of the opponent's feet..

A lot can be assumed.. I think we'll start seeing which will come true soon :) All in all, just hope we can beat the Mancs on Saturday.. would do a hell of a difference in terms of confidence (I think statistically, we've always gone on a good run if we beat Man U.. I can remember the last two wins at OT were always followed by good runs.. but that's off the top of my head :))

·
Registered
16,482 Posts
At the Moment,

----------------------Dudek---------------------

Finnan----Carragher---------Hyypia------Traore--

-Garcia------Hamman------Gerrard-------Riise---

-------------Morientes---------Baros----------

Kirkland this season has shown that he's not all that, at least for the time being.

Given the players available you have to go with that line up imo. It's quite nicely balanced, with Traore proving this season that he can be relied on defensively, as well as providing a bit of attackinprowess. Off course there is the option of putting warnock at left back for a bit more cutting edge attacking wise. The rest of the back 4 can't be argued with at the moment.

Right midfield, Well there's only really two options Nunez and Garcia. Nunez really gives you a wide outlet really. He's not the best crosser as we know although has some skill and is certainly not awfull as some people seem to suggest. Garcia however would be my favourite. Far more skillful, and creative, is really the only player along with Gerrard that can give that killer pass. Also Garcia being the no. 10 that he is, will naturally drift infield occupying and space left unattended, making Liverpool's play far less predictable and harder to defend against.

At the moment this is the only viable combination in centre mid. Although with only two in the centre, Gerrard's runs forward must be less often as he has defensive duties especially with the increasingly immobile Hamman in the centre.

Riise has pretty much made that Left wing slot his own. Not only does he provide energy to side, he also has defensive qualities that most left wingers don't have plus a venomous shot to boot.

Then up front there's Morientes and Baros. Morientes provides a whole host of new options. Not only can he play as the central striker in a 4-2-3-1 system, he can play with a partner. He's an intelligent player so he will drop deep and lay of the ball or turn and play it wide. I really do think he will add an extra dimension to liverpool's play, which Baros simply cannot provide.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Yasir said:
now needless to say, with Hamann, we're less offensive than with Alonso.. but the other way of the argument is that we're better of defensively..
Defensively in terms of the back-line - true. But defensively in terms of the whole team - no. Please refer to the official match thread for my opinions on this :cool:

·
Registered
108 Posts
If we are full strenght,
Dudek
Finnan - Hyypia - Carra - Riise/Traore
Xabi
Garcia - Gerrard - Kewell/Riise
Moro/Baros - Cisse/Baros​

Or
Kirkland
Finnan - Hyypia - Pelle/Carra - Riise/Traore
Xabi
Biscan
Garcia - Gerrard - Kewell/Riise
Moro/Baros/Cisse​

Not really positive. But we need to fine a good formation, as we have been loosing too easily to opponents.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts