Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think Capello will beef up the defence. If Juve win either Lo Scudetto or the Champions League by using 3 attackers then this would throw up some interesting possibilities.

Currently Juve play with 2 line-ups:

---------------Buffon--------------

Zebina---Thuram---Canna---Zambro

Camo---Emerson---Blasi----Nedved

----Trez/Zala------DP/Zlatan------

But without Nedved we use 3 strikers. The interesting thing will be: what will Capello do when he comes back? If he subs Blasi, then we may not have that "Capello solidity" in midfield. So I suspect that he will use Nedved as a left forward striker in the front 3 (just like Robben and Duff do for Chelsea).

If we decide to get Chiellini back next year, I would not be surprised if Capello used both players in the starting line-up.

---------------Buffon/-----------------
--------------Chimenti-----------------

Zebina/---Thuram/---Canna/---Chiellini/
Birri-------Kovac-----Chivu-----Pessotto

Camoranesi/-----Emerson/-----Zambro/
Olivera---------Fiore----------Ambrosini
------------------------------Appiah--

Ibrahimovic/------Trez/----------Nedved/
---Mutu---------Zalayeta-------Del Piero

The players that Juve could get are:

* Fiore (unhappy at Valencia and Juve have a good relationship with Valencia). I think he is a good player and possibly an alternative to Emerson OR Nedved.

* Kovac & Chivu. Ferrara will retire, Iuliano is gone and so is Legrottaglie. Canna and Thuram are getting old and may need to be rested for more games next season.

* Cassano. He could only possibly arrive if either Mutu or Del Piero leave. I get the feeling it will be Mutu who leaves.

* Ambrosini. I think he is not happy at Milan cause he never plays. He is one of Italy's best defensive mids in my opinion and I think it would be great if we could get him.

Other than that, I would not get anyone else who is higher profile. Basically all of the players above with perhaps the exception of Cassano are real back-up players. Juve has a clear lack of depth on the subs bench except for the forwards where we have 4 good ones + Mutu in May.

So we should focus on getting more depth in Defence and Midfield.

I expect the following players could be sold:

Blasi (he would get a reasonable sum and we could get Ambro)
Appiah (he is obviously not in Capello's plans)
Kapo (he will probably be loaned out)
Olivera (could be used as a way to get Cassano)
Zambro (Chelsea are offering a lot and Capello knows he has Chiellini and could also buy Jankulovski)

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
i think its too hard to say unless capello states his intentions for next season. For me, as long as Nedved is at the club, under Capello, the 4-4-2 will stay. If it doesnt, then nedved will be used as one of the three progned attack players.

Moggi will look heavily into central defenders. Kovac is a juve player i believe and i think its a good addition. he has experience and will be good back up. But I do believe Capello and Moggi will be looking for a young central defender. Barzagli is a player Moggi will look at and i think that would be a good acquisition to the squad. Chivu is another, but im not sure if Moggi will bring in 3 central defenders, even if chivu is versitile and can play on the left. I dont think Capello will look for a right back, he seems content with zebina for many years now.

I dont think the midfield wil be looked at heavily. Its an area which needs fixing centrally. I dont see any wingers coming in after camoranesi has been very good this season and with nedved on the left, i dont think its needed. Kapo and Olivera should stay, they are versitile and offer not only wing positions, but also forward roles if need be. Hence, a central partner for Emerson should be looked at. van bommel on a free would be good, but then again, a player like rosicky wouldnt go a stray either considering we need linkage to the forwards.

As for forwards, i only see cassano joining if one was to join. we'd lose mutu and give cash to get him. in my opinion, i dont see a need for cassano. Nonda is rumoured to have signed on a free, but i dont think there is room for him.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
The only replacement we need for the first team is a replacement for Blasi. He's by far the weakest link in the team, right next to Zebina.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Awww, now Blasi isn't that bad... I actually Blasi. He plays with heart, never gives up, and is a good passer. The only thing I can fault him for is not helping out in attack that much. I'll be dismayed next season if we're still forced to field Biri and Pessotto every time we get an injury

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Sorry, I'm not a fan of a player who does not know how to trap the ball. I do like his heart though.

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
Catenaccio said:
* Ambrosini. I think he is not happy at Milan cause he never plays. He is one of Italy's best defensive mids in my opinion and I think it would be great if we could get him.

Other than that, I would not get anyone else who is higher profile. Basically all of the players above with perhaps the exception of Cassano are real back-up players.
so you are saying that you are going to get a player that is discontent about sitting on the bench and put him... on the bench. How incredible logical. I also think he just extended his contract with Milan.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Andy said:
Sorry, I'm not a fan of a player who does not know how to trap the ball. I do like his heart though.
Gattusso was somehow like that. With the years he got better and better, look at him now.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Nedved is getting in age, we should start and groom understudy for him. Hopefully we can prolong his retirement till as long as Bergkamp who is still playing at a ripe old age of 37.

In the meantime, i like our strikers. I am not sure if Mutu can regain his form fast after his ban. If he can then we will be in for a good time.

In the meantime, we need to beef up our reserves so that we can replace anyone when they are injuried.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Maybe some people have comments on this topic, now that we are out of the CL. :/

Areas to address:
- replacement for Nedved.

Can Mutu do this? possibly.

- Sort out defense depth.
We need some dependable players for all positions

- Central midfielder
Emerson needs a better player beside him. Perhaps Blassi can improve? Jankulovski would help out also as he can play left wing and at the same time improve overall defense. Pizzaro?

-sort out what forwards will be with us

Trez is a medical nightmare this year, DP is not good enough to be playing in big games anymore, Zlatan sucks at finnishing, Zala is good backup but he might want to start elsewhere.

Im not sure what direction to take here. We can probably scalp Roma for Cassano, as I have the sense the odds of him renewing a contract with them is 1% or less. Taking bets ;) I dunno if Man Utd would sell RVN, but he is a good guy to play with Zlatan I think. Pipe dream probably.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Buffon, Chimenti, Bonnefoi.
Zebina, MIGUEL, Thuram, BARZAGLI, Cannavaro, KOVAC, Zambrotta, CHIELLINI.
Camoranesi, Olivera, Emerson, GIANNICHEDDA, Blasi, LEDESMA, Nedved, ROSICKY.
GILARDINO, Zalayeta, Ibrahimovic, Mutu, Del Piero.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
Gilardino isnt officially milans as yet is he? I thought Jankulovki was though?? im sure someone can confirm this.

as ofr juve, being out of the CL does make it hurt and i suppose the last two games showed that the team does lack a lot right now.

defence i think is a major problem if injuries occur. Midfield needs better back ups for emerson and obviously needs a partner for him who is offensive and can create something. We need a striker who will play games, not get every injury and illness possible season after season.

my prediction:

rb: miguel or bonera
cb: kovac and barzagli (possibly chivu as well depending on which other centre backs at juve could leave)
lb: chiellini

midfield: this is a hard area. no one has really been rumoured heavily. i wouldnt mind seeing riquelme, rosicky or even an emre joining depending on capello's plans in terms of tactics.

forwards: cassano will join and i think that is a mistake when the money should be put towards gilardino. i think mutu will be in that deal.

i dont think much activity will happen, i do believe many will be sold but i dont see moggi pulling in huge buys and completely changing the team.

what i would like is:

miguel, barzagli, chivu, kovac,chiellini, riquelme, essien, gilardino all to join.

out: montero, legrottaglie, birindelli,pessotto, appiah, kapo, blasi, trezeguet

squad:
buffon, ??
miguel, thuram, cannavaro, chivu, barazagli, kovac, zambrotta, chiellini, zebina
nedved, riquelme, emerson, camoranesi, olivera, tacchinardi, essien
gilardino, zlatan, mutu, del piero, zalayeta

i think that would be nice..its versitile and doesnt lack in any area. but im dreaming :rollani:

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
kthx said:
Gattusso was somehow like that. With the years he got better and better, look at him now.
yeah Blasi is only 25, so at least give him another 3 seasons to build his passing and ball control skills up to Under 17 level. He may even score a goal by 2012. :lala: :D

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
polaris said:
We can probably scalp Roma for Cassano, as I have the sense the odds of him renewing a contract with them is 1% or less.
I agree, just brush us off with Birindelli and 2 FIAT's or something. :irritate:

It's still better than Galliani's approach to transfers though, he'd just threaten Roma with Serie C2 for missing a few player payments and then take Cassano for free ;)

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Rumours are flying around that we've more or less secured a host of players on free contracts. Many of them are quality players indeed, but none of them are creative midfielders.

To give a hint as to how much we could change over the summer, this list are the players who started the 2004/2005 season with us, and certainly/likely aren't here next term:

Ferrara, Iuliano, Montero, Tudor, Legrottaglie, Birindelli, Pessotto, Appiah, Kapo

Questionmarks on: Trezeguet, Olivera
Minor questionmarks on: Del Piero, Zalayeta, Blasi, Tacchinardi

Players who might leave/be sold definately to broker other deals: Mutu, Miccoli, Maresca.

It's obvious that many changes will be made. Personally I fear that we won't be making the right decisions for our midfield to receive the needed boost. In attack and defence I'm not really worried.

But a clear out is more or less certain.

·
Registered
43,409 Posts
Probably yes - the will be OUT. But I don’t think it is so necessary, at least I don’t think changes are that needed. If you look at Milan (sorry) we get 2 or 3 a year, but they are guys who are most likely first 11 starters. So, I think you need to get back Maresca, and buy Rosicki and Cassano. Then some of the current 11 will be benchers (or rotate) which will also give you a solid and long bench, even if you sell those mentioned. And all three of them will give you creativity and depth in midfield. Keep Olivera, Emerson and one or two more. Keep your attacking force, plus Cassano. Few money needed? Yes, but I am sure you can do it. Why touch a solid defense? Zebina-Thuram-Cannavaro-Zambrotta look just fine to me ... and they are solid this year.

I am almost affraid to actually offer a starting11, with all your big football heads around ;) but ...

-----------Buffon--------------

Zebina-Thuram-Canna-Zanrotta
----------Maresca-------------
Rosicki---Emerson---Cammo/Nedved
---Zlatan----Cassano ---------

Sounds familiar, if you ask me ;)

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
If anything I'm expecting Juve to sign some big scalps this summer just something is really in the air.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
bono said:
Probably yes - the will be OUT. But I don’t think it is so necessary, at least I don’t think changes are that needed. If you look at Milan (sorry) we get 2 or 3 a year, but they are guys who are most likely first 11 starters. So, I think you need to get back Maresca, and buy Rosicki and Cassano. Then some of the current 11 will be benchers (or rotate) which will also give you a solid and long bench, even if you sell those mentioned. And all three of them will give you creativity and depth in midfield. Keep Olivera, Emerson and one or two more. Keep your attacking force, plus Cassano. Few money needed? Yes, but I am sure you can do it. Why touch a solid defense? Zebina-Thuram-Cannavaro-Zambrotta look just fine to me ... and they are solid this year.

I am almost affraid to actually offer a starting11, with all your big football heads around ;) but ...

-----------Buffon--------------

Zebina-Thuram-Canna-Zanrotta
----------Maresca-------------
Rosicki---Emerson---Cammo/Nedved
---Zlatan----Cassano ---------

Sounds familiar, if you ask me ;)
What I am about to write will not happen but I still want to get it off my chest.

Zebina, is simply not good enough to start. He just can't defend. We need to look for an upgrade.

Emerson just isn't creative and imaginative to play in that role. He doesn't push up either as much as he should. If both Marseca and Emerson are to play in the sime line-up then I'd change them the other way round. Personally, I'd like to see our midfield like how it was with Davids and Conte who both could defend and attack. Don't know how Camo would fair in that role. A younger player is seriously needed as an understudy for Nedved (if it was up to me, I'd even look for one who will give Nedved a serious competition for first team spot).

The attack looks creative, but niether are top goal scorers. That mid-field doesn't look like a super goalscoring mid-field (if you know what I mean) hence, a Trezegol would have to play and either Cassano and Zlatan would have to sit on the bench.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
bono said:
Probably yes - the will be OUT. But I don’t think it is so necessary, at least I don’t think changes are that needed. If you look at Milan (sorry) we get 2 or 3 a year, but they are guys who are most likely first 11 starters. So, I think you need to get back Maresca, and buy Rosicki and Cassano.
It's easier to simply add to the mix when you have a set game plan, and a functional outfit. We don't have neither. We have a defence that wins us games and individuals who pop up to score the decisive goals, but against quality opponents - Juve games are just a lottery.
We might win against anyone on any given day, but there's really no fixed low on how poor we're also able to play :(.

Maresca will never come back to Juve. Not after his statements - which we thoroughly deserved. A real shame, but there are other options. Pizarro being my favourite one, but Rosicky is certainly a good choice also.

bono said:
Why touch a solid defense? Zebina-Thuram-Cannavaro-Zambrotta look just fine to me ... and they are solid this year.
Result wise yes, but it's becomming more and more clear that we suffer on set pieces and aerial challenges in our area. Zebina has been a positive surprise really, but he is not long term starting material in my opinion. An excellent sub though.

As far as Cassano goes - we already have Mutu. I don't believe in being stacked in attack with noone to create in midfield. Milan is clearly better than us precisely because midfield is heaps better. Sure - Sheva is better than anyone we have and your defence has an edge on us as well, but if you look at Trezeguet, Zlatan, Del Piero, Mutu and Zalayeta - then it is certainly a better front line that Sheva, Crespo, Pippo and JDT.

Difference is that guys like Crespo, Pippo and JDT will still be effective/real quality when chances are created for them. But imagine how much more lethal Trez would be if he played for Milan....

Guys like Kaka, Pirlo, Seedorff, Dhorassoo, Rui Costa... they can CREATE.
In our midfield Nedved (if he regains some measure of form) and Camoranesi can individually make chances, but not through creativity and vision as such. They're not that kind of players. We have no midfielder with true creativity. Not a single one.

Against Liverpool, we saw that even if Del Piero was instantly a creative threat when getting the ball to his feet near then area, he was a shadow for 80% of the time because we punted high balls up there. How can he ever rival Hyppiä or Carragher in the air? With Mutu or Cassano I fear it is much the same thing, although they have added pace to be more dangerous on the counter or in transition.
All even modest opponents have to do is make two compact four man lines, and try to hit us on the break. Then we suffer - at least until we score a goal that forces them to open up.

As such - Rosicky... yes. Or Pizarro... or someone to be our regista like you have Pirlo. But it's not done with that, because even as a sub, Maresca did show some of those things last season when given an honest chance. And Capello sent him away. Unless Capello changes his ideas for Juve - it propably doesn't matter.

So far the only regista that looks like being a hot bet for partnering Emerson is Reggina's Mozart (and why? he is set to cost around 8 million whereas Pizarro can be had for 10). Sure - I think that will be better in terms of distribution from midfield than Blasi/Tacchi/Appiah - but will you as a Milan fan feel threatened by such a move?
Unless he makes the grade instantly - he will be left to rot on the bench because he isn't a big name, and then we have another Maresca situation.... or a Fabian O'Neil situation... if we're really unlucky.

That's not to say I wouldn't welcome Mozart though, but I'd only be really happy if there was also someone else who was supposed to start over Mozart. If Mozart is to be our Dhorasoo - great.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts