Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow night at Los Carmenes, once again on a ****ing Monday evening at 22.00. :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::frustrated:

Players called
Iraizoz, Toquero, Laporte, Erik Morán, San José, Beñat, De Marcos, Ibai, Albizua, Iago Herrerín, Susaeta, Iraola, X.Etxeita, Mikel Rico, Gurpegi, Muniain, Aduriz y Ander Herrera.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Funny game this one....draw springs to mind.

Granada have the joint best defensive record in La Liga along side Atletico and Barcelona,conceding only 5,but the worst offensive record...scored only 3 thus far.

In theory easy to defend against but hard to score against...also lost all three of their home games this season.

Stats really can be confusing...6 games in and a team that has lost all 3 home games has the best defensive record!!

1-0 us.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
The issue is that Monday night is the no PPV game, and Athletic is clearly the club which gives more audience from the ones who can play on Monday, the ones not playing European competition. Therefore...mediaset always choose us.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Ripped apart by a bunch of second rate Arabs and Africans.

One of the worst teams in the division have humiliated us.

****ing pathetic.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Clueless,lifeless,paceless and prideless.

We don't have a striker and anyone harbouring aspirations above a 10th place finish needs to get their neck bolt tightened.

This is a ****ing awful performance against a buch of ****ing nobody's.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Having said all that,no one can begrudge Granada their win.

They are moderate,pretty limited on abilty,but showed a great team spirit and cleverness and thoroughly deserved the points.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Terrible performance by everyone except the three defensive veterans Gorka (MoM), Iraola and Gurpegi. We have to hope that this time San Josés marking gets him punished, it's the third or fourth goal we've conceded directly from his marking so far this season. His passive defending has only made a negative difference for the outcome of the match in the game against Espanyol but it's there destabilizing the entire defense again and again. Since two of our wins have been coming from behind and then winning it, we could have gotten a point if he would have continued to mark El Arabi, not (as San José believes) only follow the player until the pass has been played, but by following the player until the pass reaches him.

Gurpegi has been our best player this season and has been carrying the whole defense, today he got some assistance by Iraola. On counters Gurpegi has been almost perfect in breaking attacks.

This team needs a concentrated CB (Ekiza or Albizua), a scoring striker, Balenziaga (until Laporte is in form), focused passing, better communication, or, as in most of the victories, luck.

I'm at least happy that Valverde understood that there was no other option than Toquero for the last minutes, even if he failed completely today, games like this needs fighters, we have some real fighters in Gurpegi, Rico, Ibai, De Marcos, Muniain, Aduriz (sometimes) and most importantly the inspiration Toquero, as many of them on the pitch as possible when we're behind. A hard away game in Andalusia, never easy, but the effort from certain players was unacceptable.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Maybe Ander wasn't bad I might add. In the end however, he needs to be situated more defensively because he's our best passer. There's no need for him to stand among the group of players where there's no space. Also, we will get more goals from counters rather than passing the ball from side to side again and again against an established defense, less tikitaka more goals.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Good points GT but I saw this game as reasonably straightforward against a team that have no attacking threat if we are honest.

At half time we were completely comfortable and under no threat whatsoever.

A draw was a minimum for me and this fixture has been a good one for us recently.

We created absolutely nothing.We have no nous in the last third and had a simple 2v1 at the end of the first half but the ball trickled back to their keeper.

The last 10 minutes saw us pass the ball incessantly in front of their two banks of five without the remotest intent of creating a goal scoring opportunity.

We don't have a striker of note and this will seriously impact the team.Europe is a mere pipe dream.

What is most worrying is the utter lack of fight.

They completely cruised to victory.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Agree totally, their goals were giveaways. Couldn't judge the penalty but it seemed cheap indeed, he definately dived but this is Spain. As you say there was very little combat in some players especially toward the end.

Valverde still needs to get to know the players in and out. I sympathize with him since he's got one of Europes weakest finishing qualities in offensive midfield, some players with very low intelligence, players with severe concentration issues, and almost an entire team suffering from insecurity. We will be very dependent on the three mature veterans Gorka, Gurpe and Iraola to have some fostering skill on the pitch.

Maybe the finishing trainings stopped last weak, maybe the players were tired in the late game, maybe they just stopped going over what the team needs to be working on, because this game looked exactly like a game of last season.

I just hope Susaeta doesn't become our main hope for goal.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
True,but most of the players have great experience despite their age.

The facts are that Granada had managed one goal in their last five games and could have scored 5 tonight.

Very worrying especially since we are impotent in attack.

I agree that we have been lucky with several of our games thus far and also agree that Valverde needs more time.

Having said that,a blind man can see San Jose is not a CH that should be selected unless the rest of the back line are injured.EV likes the guy and would otherwise struggle to find him a role in our well stocked midfield.

However,thats what he's paid for and he needs to address this issue.

I think we're in for a difficult season..I wouldn't have it any other way!!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
It's true they have experience and we have quite a great squad, but sometimes they lose their focus and the passing starts looking like tonight. With San José it's simple if you're not locked to positions. This season started with him injured, there are not many teams in a position where you can say that they profit from an injury to one of the best players in the team. Even when he adds goals we desperately needs, adds excellent assists, second assists, world class long passes etc, his area is like a hole for the opponents to shoot or head at target and other players have to take care of many of his mistakes. The best solution that has been attempted so far has been to put him next to a defensively skilled midfielder (in DM), as was done last season, giving us defensive stability and our game more flow.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
The first two games before Real Madrid away, one goal conceded, the four games with San José back: 8 goals conceded.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
EV likes the guy and would otherwise struggle to find him a role in our well stocked midfield.

However,thats what he's paid for and he needs to address this issue.

I think we're in for a difficult season..I wouldn't have it any other way!!
A lot of the outcome of this season might depend on Txingurris openness to players in new positions. The outfielders are split in the 8 attackers competing for the 4 starting attacking positions, and the 13 (currently 4 injured) defensive players competing for the 6 defensive positions.

The previous two seasons suffered from lack of rotation, this season we will see more of it but we need to be able to try some players in positions that are not their main during injury and lack of form season. No position should be reserved just because a player is the only fit option used to playing there, everyone needs competition.

The defense has been lucky on many occasions and doesn't feel anywhere near stable for me. Of course three of the four players competing for the DM positions are new and they still need to get to know eachother. Still this defense needs to have other options than the ones we saw today, and with Ekiza, Balenziaga and Saborit injured, Etxeita and Albizua should be given time very soon.

In offensive midfield it's worrying that De Marcos isn't a regular, our best offensive player currently, even with this poor performance. Kike Sola is needed as soon as possible. Aduriz does some good work but with the competition in offensive midfield, he should not be a starter. If he's not adding goals, then we might play those who has done so so far, De Marcos or Ibai for example.

·
Registered
176 Posts
It was a pretty terrible performance. The total lack of ideas going forward once it got to 2-0 was very alarming, basic passes were being missed, there was no skill or strength and it was as if Athletic were from a division below Granada, that's how little we were troubling their defence. There didn't seem to be much in the way of practised moves throughout the match, either by individual players or as a team. The few chances we did create seemed to be mostly from a single pass or a lucky break of the ball.

And I can't believe that the finishing of our midfielders is still so bad. I know they (De Marcos, Muniain, Susaeta, Ibai) have all scored this season but if it takes each of them 4 attempts to get it on target/harder than a passback, that means we need 16 shots to score a goal. Aduriz hasn't scored but has set up many of the missed chances and occupied the defenders to give more space to the midfielders, so its them that need to do better particularly since their play in other areas is of a high standard.

We all know Toquero isn't Messi but his contributions after coming on were alarmingly bad.

As for our defending, as has been said San Jose's set piece marking is hopeless, I don't know how many chances he has to get?? I would welcome seeing Laporte in there, I know he is inexperienced and tends to over-elaborate but he is a decent defender and good on the ball. But if Balenziaga and Saborit are both still injured then OK, keep Aymeric on the left and bring in Xabi Etxeita. At least give him the Valencia and Villarreal games, and if he doesn't do it, then at least we will know. But we already know that the back 4 today wasn't good enough.

If we win every home game (after conceding first) and lose every away game we will have 57 points (plus 3 from Valladolid!) which previous seasons suggest would get us 6th place! Until it dies, the dream is alive! :) ...but yeah, I think about 11th is more likely. :/

1 - 20 of 20 Posts