Andoni Iraola - Carlos Gurpegi - Aymeric Laporte - Enric Saborit

Beñat Etxebarria - Ander Iturraspe

Markel Susaeta - Ander Herrera - Iker Muniain

Aritz Aduriz​

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is the kind of game where you want to see Rico in the lineup but it's probably too soon for him. I don't discard an appearance in the second half though.

·
Registered
951 Posts
For those who said we didn't need Rico, well, Itu has been barely mediocre so far. I agree with Iribar in that we'll probably see MR in the second half, if that. I really like this team Valverde is putting together though!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Like Susaeta and others has been talking about in the press the team has to step up in its performance in this kind of game. We can't give away anything in the back and we have to put up a huge working effort in midfield. Not that sloppy attitude we have seen from time to time in the first two games.

Even if Real Madrid didn't impress me against Granada thhis game will be a real test for the "new team" under Valverde.

Can we play well (not just defensively) against the big ones or are we pushed back with panic defending and destined to counter hit and hope for a mistake in the Real defensive line? It will be a very interesting to see.

:hopeful:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Hopefully the group aren't unsettled by the manu bid for Ander...Who knows he could no longer be an Athletic player by then!...

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
All in all not a bad time to visit the Bernabeu,if there is such a time!

They are still finding their feet under CA and we have had a decent start...still a huge task ahead in a place that we usually perish.

·
Registered
133 Posts
For those who said we didn't need Rico, well, Itu has been barely mediocre so far. I agree with Iribar in that we'll probably see MR in the second half, if that. I really like this team Valverde is putting together though!
To me Iturraspe was the man of the match against Valladolid. I'm more disappointed with Beñat so far. I don't know if Rico will bring something extraordinary to the team but a high working effort
I presume, or require. Let's see what he can do over time as well for Beñat.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I've actually been very impressed with the start Benat has made.

Iturraspe has been all over the place and is not a player I have ever liked.

To be fair to him he was exposed so many times under Bielsa's system with the rest of the team in attack as per the managers blueprint.

The way Bielsa sides break up counter attacks is to foul and let the advanced players retreat to a more defensive formation.

That was to a large extent AI's role in the team,the one totally exposed or the one forced to foul.I prefer San Jose in the holding midfield role although we have options and SJ is far from everyones cup of tea,as they say over here..never quite get that phrase....

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I think we should put an end to the Mikel Rico debate now. I'm happy that he's at the club and we know that he will give a stability to the midfield that is very much needed right now, especially in big games.

Iturraspe was the best player in Valladolid and one of the worst against Osasuna, it's not a rare thing to see from him being so inconsistent so having Rico there to force him to play well will probably improve his performance. Rico might teach some of these rough diamonds a thing or two about concentration. Good passing skills, good on counterattacks both defensively and offensively, great positioning, great tackling, marking and most importantly a very intelligent player. Could play DM and also box-to-box.

By the way since Uniteds bid for Herrera, the game against Real would be a perfect opportunity to take advantage of our qualities in defensive midfield by playing three of them together. That formation could be used in the games against Real, Barca and Atletico.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Players called: Iraizoz, Toquero, Laporte, Erik Morán, San José, Beñat, Iturraspe, De Marcos, Ibai, Albizua, Iago Herrerín, Susaeta, Iraola, Mikel Rico, Gurpegui, Muniain, Aduriz, Ander Herrera, Balenziaga.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seems like tomorrow we could see a tactical variation with no pure striker and two forwards, Susaeta & De Marcos for instance.

·
Registered
176 Posts
So no Ander (he is on the bench) but we will not know until after the game if he is off to Man U, or if Valverde just prefers a more defensive midfielder like Rico (or both).

·
Registered
947 Posts
I think Manutd already have transferred him, somehow their website dosn't work correctly here but I can see the word "arrivals" and his name..

·
Registered
176 Posts
I think Manutd already have transferred him, somehow their website dosn't work correctly here but I can see the word "arrivals" and his name..
:( I hope not.

But I dont think it has happened yet, for one thing he is involved in the match right now so it would be very bad form to confirm a transfer while he is playing with his current club.

And also I am watching sky sports news UK, they are desperate for any story to talk about! And they have several reporters at the Bernabeu blabbering about Gareth Bale, I'm sure they would love to chat about a 35m Man Utd transfer involving a player at the same stadium. They (Sky) haven't even mentioned Ander today actually, which surprises me since it is a 'definite possible' transfer and not just a crazy rumour. Obviously the English media dont care about Athletic but they do care about Man U!

·
Registered
176 Posts
1-0. :(

Cant believe Iraola there. He had been hanging behind the central defenders a few times to watch for runs then had pulled up to catch the offside. This time he just stayed where he was! Allowing Isco a 10 metre run in behind. :(

1 - 20 of 72 Posts