4. Real Sociedad 28 - 47
14. Athletic Club 28 - 32
16. Granada 28 - 28
17. Real Zaragoza 28 - 26
- - - - - - - - - -
18. Real Mallorca 28 - 24
19. Celta de Vigo 28 - 23
20. Deportivo la Coruña 28 - 20

Recent form: Athletic Club (last five matches)
16/03 - Getafe - Athletic Club 1-0
10/03 - Athletic Club - Valencia 1-0
02/03 - Osasuna - Athletic Club 0-1
22/02 - Athletic Club - Real Sociedad 1-3
16/02 - Málaga - Athletic Club 1-0

Recent form: Granada CF (last five matches)
17/03 - Granada - Levante 1-1
11/03 - Real Zaragoza - Granada 0-0 2-0
03/03 - Granada - Real Mallorca1-2
24/02 - Celta de Vigo - Granada 2-1 3-1
16/02 - Getafe - FC Barcelona 1-2

Last five league meetings in Bilbao
(Overall: 18 games, 15 victories, 1 draw, 2 defeats)
27/11/2011 - Athletic Club - Granada 0-1
08/02/1976 - Athletic Club - Granada 2-1
20/04/1975 - Athletic Club - Granada 1-0
07/10/1973 - Athletic Club - Granada 1-0
29/10/1972 - Athletic Club - Granada 0-1

Record with the referee (Del Cerro Grande - 6 matches)
Won: 3 - (75,00%)
Drawn: 1 - (25,00%)
Defeats: 0 - (00,00%)

Player to watch out for
Eeeeeehrm? Nolito?

Conclusion
Granada played for the last time in Primera back in 1976 before they returned in 2011. A great performance considering they were in Tercera back in 2006! After four seasons in Segunda B they just needed one season in Segunda to reach Primera again. That was mainly because of help from Italy, Udine to be precise, where they co-operate with. Just like the previous seasons, also this seasons there are five loanees from Udinese playing for Granada. Last year they survived finishing 17th and this season they're on their way to survive again.
Last season Granada could beat us in San Mamés by playing very defensively but we took revenge this season in Los Carmenés where we did beat them 1-2. Hopefully we can take a double over them this season with two victories, we'll need it once again to find some space to breath in the table...

Star's brilliant preview you can find here --> http://butchersofbilbao.blogspot.nl/2013/03/athletic-gets-back-to-work.html

Aupa Athletic! :fero:

My prediction: 2-1

·
Registered
736 Posts
No-one watching? 0-0 at half time.
Granada hit once the post, but we are creating some chanches, mostly by Ibai's crosses...
Should have had a penalty

·
Registered
176 Posts
I am watching, pretty much the same game as we have seen all season although with a slightly different back-3 formation which isn't working, wing-backs not supporting any more than normal.

Aduriz still isolated, Ibai and Susa still trying too much in tight spots and losing the ball easily when they try to beat a man (not always but often), Laporte and Gurpegi diving into tackles which they don't win and then are taken out of the move, passing from the back generally shocking, simple balls going into touch again. San Jose playing the 'quarterback' role, hmm...

I would like to see us play more compact, I think the attempt is to stretch the game by using the full width of the pitch, but we are struggling to pass the ball over the longer distances and players are being left on their own. If we moved it about in smaller groups, we could play shorter passes.

The 'good'thing is that Granada aren't a great team, actually they have been a decent team but their players are not great, so they are also giving the ball away a lot, and when they get/are given chances, they are not punishing Athletic. Gorka has made a great save onto the bar with the one clear header.

As for the penalty, it definitely hit his hand but the ball was travelling fast, so he didn't mean it. I would say 60% pen so not surprised it wasn't given (especially for Athletic!). But the commentator did say a lot of those accidental handballs have been given in La Liga this year.

We need too change something in the second half. i would like to see Herrera move forward a bit, but if Susaeta and Ibai are still playing on the wings and we are still trying to squeeze passes through the Granada midfield, I don't see how that will work either. I suppose we will just have to wait for a bit of luck or a set piece. Laporte had a good header that was saved.

·
Registered
736 Posts
As for the penalty, it definitely hit his hand but the ball was travelling fast, so he didn't mean it. I would say 60% pen so not surprised it wasn't given (especially for Athletic!). But the commentator did say a lot of those accidental handballs have been given in La Liga this year.
So, let's say the Laporte incident just before the hand ball was a 40 % penalyt, and we should have had it.

I too think we need a set piece and some luck. We are not playing very well, and definitively not in the last quarter of the field....

·
Registered
176 Posts
Another 3 points, we are staying up, so that will have to do.

We have (potentially) good players, so we will just need to see how a new coaches arranges things in the summer because the Bielsa system has died now, although we are now winning ugly so he must take some credit for that I suppose.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Funny at the end there where Ander scored but there was another ball being kicked off the park! The ref got it totally correct. Thank god it wasn't 0-0 at that point!!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
It was a nervous performance but three points.

I was there and the atmosphere was nervous,perhaps the players felt this.

Granada had plenty of the ball but created little despite hitting the woodwork.I don't ever recall the ball being given away more by Athletic.We barely strung 6/7 passes together the whole game.

The new three CB formation leaves us light in midfield and the three players involved seemed unsure of their defined roles.Maybe they will improve with practice but I don't see the need for this experiment in home games.

It would be better deployed on the road where we leak more goals.

Onwards and upwards.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts