1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

RC CELTA (9th place, 32 points)
vs.
ATHLETIC CLUB (8th place, 33 points)

DATE: Saturday, March 14, 2015 (10 p.m. CET; 1 p.m. PT)
U.S. TV: BeIN Sports en Español (Tape delay at 1:55 p.m. PT)
ONLINE: BeIN Sports Connect (http://www.beinsportsconnect.tv/livenow/bein-sports-connect)
INT'L TV/ONLINE: Click here for list

ATHLETIC ROSTER:

Iraizoz (C)

De Marcos - Etxeita - Laporte - Balenziaga

San José - Beñat

Ibai - Muniain - Wiliams

Aduriz

BENCH: Remiro, Toquero, Aurtenetxe, Iturraspe (Welcome back!), Susaeta, Guillermo, Unai López.

--

CELTA ROSTER:

Sergio

Hugo Mallo - Cabral - Fontás - Jonny

Augusto F. (C) - Alex López - Krohn-Dehli

Orellana - Larrivey - Nolito​

BENCH: Rubén, P. Hernandez, Radoja, Mina, Charles, Bongonda, Sergi Gómez.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Couldn't post here for the last match (wich we have won *_* against Real Madrid!! Still am totally excited about that^^), and now for the Celta match I will be in Bilbao and watch it there in some bar.

We should win this one to underline our ambitions for Europa.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Still 8 points back of Europe with 12 games to play, but if we win this week and Córdoba can somehow upset Málaga, that might be all the pressure we need to get this thing legitimately going.

In all honesty, we have the much tougher schedule after this weekend IMO. Also, remember Málaga has the tiebreaker over us (We tied them in Bilbao but they beat us 1-0 in Málaga on that bad call where Gorka's header didn't count). So essentially we're actually NINE points back, not 8.

5 toughest games for Málaga left to play:
Real Sociedad
@Eibar
Atlético Madrid
@Real Madrid
@Celta

5 toughest games for us (they're all tough in reality, but on paper):
@Sevilla
Valencia
@Espanyol
Real Sociedad
@Atlético Madrid

Mathematically, if we can just do better than them (as in capture 4 more points than them among these five games), then that leaves 7 other games each (including this week) for both teams that are certainly winnable. If Athletic can make up the other 5 points in those easier games, Europa League is attainable. I don't see it, but that's why results aren't decided on paper.

Again, if they can somehow upset Barcelona in the Copa final, then none of what I said above matters and we're Europa League bound anyway. ;)

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Possibly out for Saturday due to injuries: Mikel Rico (left thigh), Iraola (right ankle). They have been limited in practice so far this week.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
...and Gurpegi who is suspended. Fortunately San José is back after suspension and Iturraspe & Laporte after injury.

Players called-up by Ernesto Valverde:

Iraizoz, Remiro.
Laporte, Balenziaga, Etxeita, Aurtenetxe, De Marcos.
San José, Iturraspe, Unai López, Susaeta, Beñat.
Aduriz, Williams, Muniain, Guillermo, Toquero, Ibai.

Suspended: Gurpegi
Injured: Iraola, Rico, Bustinza, Viguera.
Out: Aketxe, Sola.
PROBABLE XI

Gorka Iraizoz

Óscar de Marcos - Xabi Etxeita - Aymeric Laporte - Mikel Balenziaga

Mikel San José - Beñat Etxebarria

Markel Susaeta - Iker Muniain - Iñaki Williams

Guillermo Fernández

Bench:
GK Alex Remiro
DF Jon Aurtenetxe
MF Ander Iturraspe
MF Unai López
FW Ibai Gómez
FW Gaizka Toquero
FW Aritz Aduriz

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Starting lineups announced. Julen Guerrero says it looks like this:

Iraizoz (C)

De Marcos - Etxeita - Laporte - Balenziaga

San José - Beñat

Williams - Muniain - Ibai

Aduriz

BENCH: Remiro, Toquero, Aurtenetxe, Iturraspe (Welcome back!), Susaeta, Guillermo, Unai López.

--

CELTA's XI:

Sergio

Hugo Mallo - Cabral - Fontás - Jonny

Augusto F. (C) - Alex López - Krohn-Dehli

Orellana - Larrivey - Nolito​

BENCH: Rubén, P. Hernandez, Radoja, Mina, Charles, Bongonda, Sergi Gómez.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
17': ADUUUUUUURIIIIIIZZZZZ!!!! 0-1

Muniain fouled by Augusto from a long ball in the box. PK for Aduriz who slotted it low to the left past Sergio.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
32': SAN JOOOOOSEEEEEE!!!!!! 0-2

Aduriz headed the corner off the post and San José cleaned up the mess. The set-piece master!

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Where is everyone?

FT: Celta 1-2 Athletic

Larrivey scored in the 64th and Celta DOMINATED the second half. Aduriz might have re-injured his groin and San José was sent off after his second yellow card, so Athletic played with 10 men the last 10 minutes plus four minutes of stoppage time.

As usual, Guillermo underperformed when he replaced Aduriz. He had a PERFECT cross to the far post but he kicked it way over the crossbar. Just an unforgivable type of miss.

Iturraspe returned for the first time in a month but he might have messed with the flow/offensive rhythm. San José and Beñat had a nice partnership going in DM with Muniain at media punta. With SJ now out though, Itu is back in the lineup next week vs. Almería.

With Málaga still to play Córdoba tomorrow, we now trail them by 6 points for 7th place (it's technically 5 but they hold the tiebreaker over us, so we need 6 points to overtake them).

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I was in Cafe Naz in the Ormeau Road having a chicken madras.

I was following on my mobile but everything got very fuzzy arounf 10.30 after the third bottle of merlot....

Great win and we are really on a roll...Europa League very much on the horizon.

Re the fixture list,its hard to say what is a tough game in the run in.

I'd rather play a side mid table than one at the bottom fighting for their lives.

exciting times...at last!

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
As expected Malaga won... it will be very difficult to close the eight point gap but nothing is impossible I'd say. We just should keep on believing.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Quite right Knoert..we are very much in the shake up but as I alluded to several weeks ago and,Urzaiz has also mentuined this,the Gorka goal will cost us...and what a goal it was!

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quite right Knoert..we are very much in the shake up but as I alluded to several weeks ago and,Urzaiz has also mentuined this,the Gorka goal will cost us...and what a goal it was!
It's 9 points, not 8 because of the Gorka disallowed goal. The reason is that Málaga now has the tiebreaker.

Additional tests are being done on Aduriz's groin. Hope it's not serious.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
It's 9 points, not 8 because of the Gorka disallowed goal. The reason is that Málaga now has the tiebreaker.

Additional tests are being done on Aduriz's groin. Hope it's not serious.
Thats true but the gap should be 5 points and a level head to head record if the ref had not disallowed a perfectly good goal by Gorka in the away match at Malaga.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts