Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Players called by Joaquín Caparós:

Iraizoz, Armando.
Iraola, Ustaritz, Amorebieta, San José, Castillo.
Javi Martínez, Iñigo Pérez, Susaeta, Iturraspe, Gurpegi, Gabilondo, David López.
Llorente, De Marcos, Díaz de Cerio, Toquero.

Suspended: Orbaiz.
Injured: Bóveda, Zubiaurre, Aitor Ocio, Koikili, Muniain, Ion Vélez.
Out: Muñoz, Yeste, Etxeberria.

And Koi gets injured so the bet is on how many times will Jesús Navas rape Xabi Castillo given that Caparrós hasn't even considered calling Xabi Galán for this game. We have no chance but hope that the leftback from Durango finally wakes up and shows against such a good winger that he can be a useful player for Athletic. I hope Caparrós (who is not the best tactician in the world but at least is a hard worker in trainings) has trained with Castillo the defending on these days and has showed him how to be a decent leftback you have to defend the attacker a bit closer than 20 meters away from him.

Muniain's injury doesn't seem too bad but he is staying in Bilbao for future explorations, Yeste seems to be punished for his performance in Brussels.

I guess Caparrós will see the Europa League game as a great excuse to return to the Gurpe-winger tactic, and actually I think it's not such a bad idea for this game, given the great use Sevilla does of its wings. At the same time, a midfield Javi-Gurpe could be the best way of resisting to Sevilla`s powerful midfield... so there could be a chance for someone else on the right. The left should be for Gabilondo after his good league performances in the last weeks and upfront Toquero and Llorente will try to repeat their great partnership against Tenerife. Will Iñigo Pérez get some minutes? he is often called lately but never plays...

After Thursday's performance it's easy to not have many hopes for this game, but there are always surprises, and Sevilla is not too strong in their stadium this season. So... aupa Athletic!

Probable XI:

Iraizoz

Iraola - San José - Amorebieta - Castillo

Gurpegi/David López - Javi Martínez - Iturraspe/Gurpegi - Gabilondo

Toquero - Llorente​

·
Lehendakari
2,025 Posts
One of the few games where playing Gurpegi on the right is not a bad idea but Orbaiz is still suspended of course so perhaps Gurpe should be in the middle.

As for left-back situation: I have forgotten, where is Balenziaga this season? I felt he did alright last season and could perhaps be an option for next season?

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why López and not Susaeta?
Because if we play with Gurpe and Javi in midfield we would need wingers who can help to move the ball in midfield rather than pure wingers, and David can do that, and he played well vs Tenerife. But anyone can play, in fact I expect some surprises for today, in fact both Susa and David could play, in both wings or with David in the center.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ill rather see Gurpegi on the left this time, Castillo will need all the help he can get against Navas!
Maybe it's the day for David López to become important again... although Gabilondo has done well lately. The best David López performance I remember in Athletic was actually against Sevilla in his first season as Athletic player, with a great work both in defense and attack on the left wing.

We have received 4 goals in our last 3 visits to Pizjuán.:(

·
Lehendakari
2,025 Posts
After Thursday I'm not very hopeful of getting anything today, but perhaps the players will feel they have something to prove and show they are better than the awful performance in Brussels.

·
Lehendakari
2,025 Posts
Iraizoz; Iraola, San José, Amorebieta, Castillo; Gurpegi, Javi Martínez, Iturraspe, Gabilondo; De Marcos y Llorente.

Gurpe on the right then again and Toquero dropped.

·
Lehendakari
2,025 Posts
Susaeta on for De Marcos.

I hope that doesn't mean one man up front, we need to make the most of having an extra man. It has been quite even so far in the second half.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts