Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

ATHLETIC CLUB (14th place, 24 points)
vs. RAYO VALLECANO (12th place, 26 points)

DATE: Sunday, Feb. 22, 2015 (5 p.m. CET; 8 a.m. PT)
U.S. TV: BeIN Sports en Español (live)
ONLINE: BeIN Sports Connect (http://www.beinsportsconnect.tv/livenow/bein-sports-connect)
INT'L TV/ONLINE: Click here for list

ATHLETIC ROSTER (confirmed):

Iraizoz, Toquero, Laporte, San José, Beñat, De Marcos, Ibai, Iago Herrerín, Susaeta, Iraola, X.Etxeita, Mikel Rico, Gurpegi, Muniain, Aduriz, Aketxe, Balenziaga, Unai López, Williams.

--

RAYO VALLECANO ROSTER (confirmed):

Toño, Cristian, Tito, Quini, Morcillo, Zé Castro, Amaya, Nacho, Fatau, Trashorras, Jozabed, Licá, Kakuta, Pozuelo, Álex Moreno, Leo Baptistao, Manucho y Alberto Bueno.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Great opportunity but one to be cautious about stat wise.

Only 3 teams have a worse home record than us and Rayo are joint 7th best on the road and have scored 13 on their travels..we have scored 13 at home.

This could be close and where we are at we have long since taken these type of games for granted.

Crucial not to concede first (we know how that will end) but equally important that if we score we keep going.We really drop off when we take the lead lately...Malaga and Espanyol games classic recent examples.

I think this is going to be tougher than the bookmakers think.

Nothing is easy is our little mini liga at the bottom!!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Actually just watched and really enjoyed manu getting stuffed...again :howler:

Won't please our own little quasi rice eating "fan" but Ander was magnificent.

Blocked a sure goal from his defensive position on the post off a corner and scored a cracker at the other end to give the plastic club the lead..thats 5 goals in very few games.

Louis Van Gaal doesn't seem who to play and in what formation at the moment.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually just watched and really enjoyed manu getting stuffed...again :howler:

Won't please our own little quasi rice eating "fan" but Ander was magnificent.

Blocked a sure goal from his defensive position on the post off a corner and scored a cracker at the other end to give the plastic club the lead..thats 5 goals in very few games.

Louis Van Gaal doesn't seem who to play and in what formation at the moment.
Who are you referring to?

·
Registered
947 Posts
At least I am not the only one who seems to be bothered by that person...
But we should focus on Athletic here... ;)

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Unbelievable and frankly unforgivable miss from López who was quite awful in everything he did before being dragged off after 32 mins.

Far too easily knocked off the ball,gave away free kicks and his weight of pass was shocking.

Bad miss from SJ from 6 yards as well although a little credit has to go their keeper who got a reflex paw on it.

Still giving the ball away far too easily and overplaying at the back but at least we have actually got behind on the flanks on a couple of occasions.

Two very average teams but Rayo are giving us space to play in and don't look as though they have come to settle for a draw.

They are very dangerous on the counter and have pace against our high line.

All to play for but we badly need a win.

·
Registered
947 Posts
This is really getting on my nervs that Athletic is unable to score... -.- just look at Rayo's goalie! They had to sub their first one and the second one is very insecure... but still no goals for us... grrr....

·
Registered
947 Posts
The ref is a dirty son of a ... you know what I mean.
Calling loads of offsides against at Athletic wich aren't offsides at all! And Rico's goal was not offside as well (even the commentator agrees with me).... pff...

·
Registered
947 Posts
Last substitution now at Athletic: Ibai in for Susaeta.

Williams just had a decent chance but couldn't get the ball behind the keeper...

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Good solid second half performance and the goal came from an overlapping run in behind their back line..at last we get to the by line and cross!!!

Williams was excellent when he came on and should have scored but did well defensively and held the ball up well..he got a great reception from the crowd and I'm very excited about his potential.

AA on the mark as usual and kept going despite some dubious decisions from the officials who were bordering on incompetent.

A good performance if not perfect and great to see us getting behind defences.

Rayo were very poor after half time and rarely fashioned any threat.

Onwards and upwards.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Good solid second half performance and the goal came from an overlapping run in behind their back line..at last we get to the by line and cross!!!

Williams was excellent when he came on and should have scored but did well defensively and held the ball up well..he got a great reception from the crowd and I'm very excited about his potential.

AA on the mark as usual and kept going despite some dubious decisions from the officials who were bordering on incompetent.

A good performance if not perfect and great to see us getting behind defences.

Rayo were very poor after half time and rarely fashioned any threat.

Onwards and upwards.
It took a couple games but Williams is getting more confident out there. I want to see him paired as a second striker up front with Aduriz.

ICYMI, here's the game-winner (If screen goes black, click "Watch on YouTube" link in middle of screen):
Rrup8xt8ksw

1 - 19 of 19 Posts