Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, we didn't pass our first exam versus Atlético, let's show we can compete with the best ones in the league tomorrow.

February 2nd, 21.00h, San Mames.

Aupa Athletic :fero:

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
The only worry I have is that our players/coach/fans don't get depressed for the cup elimination. We lacked seeveral things in the eliminatory but I am happy watching our lions being capable of fighting face to face with top teams (barsa in league, atlético in cup).

The team is in a good run and we must continue in the same line. I think we all agree it took about 10 games to Athletic's players to assume Valverde's tactics and style. Found the standings since round 12:

1. Real Madrid 25
2. Athletic Club 22
3. Atlético Madrid 21
4. FC Barcelona 20

So basically, once adaptation period passed...Athletic is in the same numbers as the top3. In fact, if we win tomorrow we'd be the best team of the last 11 games, tied with R.Madrid.

Again, if we win, we'd be 9 points from Barcelona and 8 from Madrid...at this point in the season that's more than remarkable.

This is reality, these are the figures and this is what should give us enough confidence to fight against Real Madrid without any kind of fear tomorrow. They are one of the best teams in the world, they are in very good shape, they have the referee support..but hey, this is Athletic and this is San Mamés....and just check the stats above..we are back. :)

Probable XI

Gorka Iraizoz

Andoni Iraola - Carlos Gurpegi - Aymeric Laporte - Mikel Balenziaga

Mikel Rico - Ander Iturraspe

Markel Susaeta - Ander Herrera - Iker Muniain

Aritz Aduriz

Bench:
GK Iago Herrerín
DF Borja Ekiza
DF Mikel San José
MF Beñat Etxebarria
MF Óscar de Marcos
FW Ibai Gómez
FW Kike Sola

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I see no reason why we can't be competive in this..despite the huge incentive they have after the leaders defeat tonight.

We have to be really active in midfield and Susaeta and Iker will have to do a lot of tracking back to try and compensate for their lightning pace up front and interplay around the wide areas..they are simply the best counter attacking side in the world...(Iker has been excellent at this recently)

Huge night for Iturraspe.His role will also be key in breaking up attacks before they develope.

We can't afford to play a high defensive line either given our complete lack of pace at the back..we will get ripped to pieces.

One positive is that if Bale continues on the flank he can be forced wide quite easily,has been all season and for me has been a little disappointing.He will try to cut inside and that is when we should have two players preventing that in a flat line between him and the goal...I have seen other sides do this successfully so far.

Bale is finding it tougher to get behind defences in La Liga who have much more mobile backs (apart from us!) then the English Premiership.

We need to careful not to give away soft free kicks around the edge of the box (or inside it!) which Itur and Balen do all to readily.

Apart from that we should be fine!..:dielaugh:

Not a must win for us but another chance to see where we stand.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
This squad has been through much and recovered to come here, soon but it's not in any way humiliating how we went out in the cup.

A very important recent improvement is that the team has started scoring and getting shots on target more regularly (18 goals last 6 games). With that our attack has so many advantages and options, but it needs some more chances near goal against big teams.

We have to be really active in midfield and Susaeta and Iker will have to do a lot of tracking back to try and compensate for their lightning pace up front and interplay around the wide areas..they are simply the best counter attacking side in the world...(Iker has been excellent at this recently)

Huge night for Iturraspe.His role will also be key in breaking up attacks before they develope.
I agree completely, Susa knows this in and out and Iker has been back and forward working Toquero measures for a while now.

This game the defense has to be on it's best and that includes Susaeta, Muniain, Iturraspe and Mikel Rico. Guessing Ander will continue to come back to receive many balls as well.

Iturraspe has slipped a bit in form the last two games but before those his performance at many games were excellent and most others very good. I also think he will have a key role for us.

They've done it before, 3-0 against Atletico last year, this year against Barcelona, the EL games... Especially knowing they have a weeks rest they will give it all and a little more.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
This squad has been through much and recovered to come here, soon but it's not in any way humiliating how we went out in the cup.

A very important recent improvement is that the team has started scoring and getting shots on target more regularly (18 goals last 6 games). With that our attack has so many advantages and options, but it needs some more chances near goal against big teams.

I agree completely, Susa knows this in and out and Iker has been back and forward working Toquero measures for a while now.

This game the defense has to be on it's best and that includes Susaeta, Muniain, Iturraspe and Mikel Rico. Guessing Ander will continue to come back to receive many balls as well.

Iturraspe has slipped a bit in form the last two games but before those his performance at many games were excellent and most others very good. I also think he will have a key role for us.

They've done it before, 3-0 against Atletico last year, this year against Barcelona, the EL games... Especially knowing they have a weeks rest they will give it all and a little more.
True GT..another fact to consider is that they haven't conceded a goal in 7 games...tough night ahead but they haven't played a team of our quality in that Copa/Liga run.

We won't lie down like the others.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
We have added some dynamics to our attack and with quite a few options on the bench however the starting line-up looks like. Maybe this match we need Aduriz to run around (as he's done a lot) rather than having him fixed in the striker position, where he might get more goals. We've got some sources for goal and not dependent on penalties that won't be given.

Very tough game, Athletic and San Mames against Real and their advantages. Hopefully the players are completely fit and focused on the table. Today especially the defensive half as you wrote will have to deal with madrids sick counters. With everyone at their best this team can compete and win vs the best at home.

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A nice one, Txingurri with Athletic versus Madrid

Temporada 2003/04:
Real Madrid 3-Athletic 0
Athletic 4-Real Madrid 2
Temporada 2004/05:
Athletic 2-Real Madrid 1
Real Madrid 0-Athletic 2

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
We play with the expected lineup except Óscar de Marcos instead of Andoni Iraola. This change is getting quite common and I am not confident with it at all.

It is extremely important for the club to find proper replacements for Iraola and Aduriz as soon as possible. And it won't be easy.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Fairly open game..this ain't gonna be 0-0.

Coping well so far and getting the ball forward quickly.

Shocking miss by Aduritz,truely shocking given how few clear cut chances you get in these type of games.

Always a chance he redeem himself though.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Fairly even first half and we have looked very comfortable and far from out of our depth.

I just get the impression the players don't believe that.Loads of possession but the usual story in the final third of the pitch,lack of real quality.

I'm also a little surprised we haven't committed more players forward for set plays (we have had several in great positions) which will represent our best chance of a goal by primary or secondary means.

Also like to see greater support from the mid field pushing forward when we push the ball wide.

Overall few complaints and good commitment from the players...we're giving it a good go and have every chance of getting a result.

Believe.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Strong start from RM in this half...dreadful mistake by De Marcos there but we survived this time...under a fair degree of pressure now.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Am not amused as well.. why the heck is Athletic having such awful second halves in the last time..? This is really getting on my nerves.. and all this little German fan boys in German football forums are clapping their hands for their beloved Christiane..

1 - 20 of 49 Posts