Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Liga BBVA Round 22: Athletic Club vs FC Barcelona

Iturraspe out for the Barcelona game, could be actually good news and another opportunity for San José or Beñat. I'm guessing De Marcos would end up as RB and Unai at media punta..?

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Hi Daniel, I moved your post as it can be an introduction for the game thread.

I am quite sure San José will take Iturraspe's place in the lineup. At the same time I think Valverde must be quite scared of Neymar's current form -as good playing football as evading taxes- so probably he's not too sure of playing De Marcos -even more considering his good form as AM-.. I wouldn't be surprised if he places a CB there, Etxeita for example.

So yes, I see Athletic playing with 4 CB in the starting lineup this Sunday.

I know we all want to beat the criminal organization this weekend, specially considering we play home..but if you ask me..the Cup game is far more important. I would play BA on Sunday if that means we have more chances of reaching the cup final.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I already put up a game thread complete with banner photo days ago. Can you move my post, Iribar?

And I agree 100%. As much as it helps our profile because the only two times of the year people outside of Euskadi care about us is when we play Barça or RM, I think making the Copa final is important to 1) put ourselves in a position to win our first trophy since 1984, and 2) secure a spot in Europe next year (especially if Barça gets by Villarreal).

·
Registered
947 Posts
About that "criminal organization"... (liked that one! :D)
Yes, people "care" about Athletic when we play those teams (add At. M***id here as well), but people want to see us go down against those (because they all chant like little children, when Messi or Ronaldo gets the ball - at least here in Germany).
So for me, who is really known as an Athletic fan, it is very important that Athletic wins or at least draws against those ... teams. Because of my social environment, you know... :D

Buuuut... for Athletic Club the Copa is far more important, this is true.
But never forget avoiding relegation! If Athletic cannot get points against those small teams like Córdoba or Elche, we must get those points from Barca or RMA or Patético.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Sorry mate, had not seen it. Merged.

I understand Lucie, we all are surrounded by these kind of people.. we all want Athletic to win these kind of games. Well, last year we beat them...with Toquero as striker. We played very well, they played bad..and we had some luck. Can we do it again?

BTW, now that I talk about Gaizka, here's me again thinking he would be a good right back. Strenght, speed, power, and the best crossing in the squad.... he tackles like a chicken without head but that can be trained.

Obvious choice for the rightback on Sunday would be Bustinza but we have Valverde and his I-promote-players-but-don't-let-them-play philosophy. Obviously Barcelona is not the kind of rival for Unai to start playing, but if he would have had some playing time by now...

Ernesto does this a lot and it makes no sense, it's true players have to 'earn' their chances but when a coach constantly promotes players he does not trust in he's got to be blamed for that.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Are Iraola and Iturraspe your only notable absentees?

Seems like your form has been improving as of late at just the right time with the Copa and Europa League games coming thick and fast soon so this will be a tough contest no doubt. Well I would worry even facing the worst version of Athletic, SM is always a difficult place for us to come and win. Won't be any different this time.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry mate, had not seen it. Merged.

I understand Lucie, we all are surrounded by these kind of people.. we all want Athletic to win these kind of games. Well, last year we beat them...with Toquero as striker. We played very well, they played bad..and we had some luck. Can we do it again?

BTW, now that I talk about Gaizka, here's me again thinking he would be a good right back. Strenght, speed, power, and the best crossing in the squad.... he tackles like a chicken without head but that can be trained.

Obvious choice for the rightback on Sunday would be Bustinza but we have Valverde and his I-promote-players-but-don't-let-them-play philosophy. Obviously Barcelona is not the kind of rival for Unai to start playing, but if he would have had some playing time by now...

Ernesto does this a lot and it makes no sense, it's true players have to 'earn' their chances but when a coach constantly promotes players he does not trust in he's got to be blamed for that.
Great point. Why not Toquero at RB? He has the skill set.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Would only play the President at RB if I was very drunk or we had 3 CH's in a 5-3-2 or more likely a midfield flooding 5-4-1 formation would would stop them playing and facilitate the odd counter where we counld win a set piece.

We are unlikely to score off anything else.

We are a shadow of the side that lined up last year and tbh a point would be a miracle.

Re the media punta role I think it's time to play Iker in that role and give him a run of games to adapt.It is so obvious.

Wasted on the flanks and someone who can run directly with ball at feet at defences and create quick attacking breaks at pace...we don't have that.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Before we start throwing stones at our Catalan friends we must understand that we are far from squeaky clean regarding taxation,funding and legalities.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Valverde showed his intentions for Sunday today, no surprises. Trained a 10 vs 10 game, with all the starters in one team, so just on doubt.

Gorka Iraizoz

Óscar de Marcos - Xabi Etxeita - Aymeric Laporte - Mikel Balenziaga

Mikel San José - Mikel Rico

Markel Susaeta - XXX - Iker Muniain

Aritz Aduriz

I guess Unai López, Viguera and Ibai fight for that spot. If Ibai is the chosen one, Iker would play as AM, as Tarquin says, probably his best position. He did well in the second half against levante last weekend in that role.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Moving De Marcos to RB does not help him build his skills and experience at CAM. Awful by Valverde if this happens.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Before we start throwing stones at our Catalan friends we must understand that we are far from squeaky clean regarding taxation,funding and legalities.
Can you elaborate this??

How many of Athletic's presidents are/have been/could be senteced?? In the case of FC Barcelona I think we could talk about the last 4, some of them even in jail...and their current president has already been accused by the judge. For god's shake even the club has been banned from signing because they trade with kids.

Very dissapointing that comparison tarquin.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Considering Laporte is suspended for the Cup game, and Iturraspe injured (so San José has to play in midfield yes or yes) I am a bit scared of a red card for Etxeita or Gurpegi in this game, we would be left without CBs. Hope the players and Valverde keep that in mind...and hope the referee (surprisingly anti-Athletic Mateu Lahoz chosen for this game:rolleyes: ) does not perform the usual show every time we play against this team.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Players called by Valverde for Barcelona (Toquero sighting):

Iraizoz, Toquero, Aurtenetxe, Laporte, San José, Beñat, De Marcos, Ibai, Iago Herrerín, Susaeta, X.Etxeita, Mikel Rico, Gurpegi, Muniain, Aduriz, Aketxe, Balenziaga, Unai López, Williams.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
I really like Iñigo Lekue, liked his performances every time I watched BA play, today he played very well against RM Castilla as right winger. Barcelona is obviously not the best rival for a defender debut but I think Iñigo could be a solution for Athletic's right back problems in the short-middle term.

I think he could have some minutes with the first team already this season.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Game in 30 minutes, Valverde starts with:

Gorka Iraizoz

Óscar de Marcos - Xabi Etxeita - Aymeric Laporte - Mikel Balenziaga

Mikel San José - Mikel Rico

Markel Susaeta - Unai López - Iker Muniain

Aritz Aduriz

Bench:

GK Iago Herrerín
DF Carlos Gurpegi
DF Jon Aurtenetxe
MF Beñat Etxebarria
MF Ager Aketxe
FW Ibai Gómez
FW Iñaki Williams

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Can you elaborate this??

How many of Athletic's presidents are/have been/could be senteced?? In the case of FC Barcelona I think we could talk about the last 4, some of them even in jail...and their current president has already been accused by the judge. For god's shake even the club has been banned from signing because they trade with kids.

Very dissapointing that comparison tarquin.
For a start there is the European Union case number SA.37199 investigating illegal state aid for the funding of our new stadium.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I think I have to throw up or something... minute 27 and already 2:0 down... just hope they don't .. you know what I mean... :(

1 - 20 of 43 Posts